Writing to a death row prisoner?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
Forum Member
Got talking to a friend of mine recently and she told me she had been writing to a death row prisoner, she then sent me the website she used so I could take a look.

At the moment I dont really know how I feel about it. Im not sure if I could do it, the guy she is writing to is in for murder according to the website, it does not give details of the crimes, just what they are in for and for how long, I have found that by googling their name it will come up with more details about their crimes.

Would you or do you write to a prisoner?

If not why wouldnt you?

Is their any drawback to writing to a prisoner?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't because I feel there are far more worth people who could do with company - there are organisations to write to soldiers if you want or get involved with the older community in your area who are probably lonely rather than scum who took someone else's life away
  • Zoltan SmithZoltan Smith Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly there are very few women who write to the surviving victims of death row prisoners.

I guess that does not make such a good story to tell your pals...
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i used to write to and visit someone from st. lucia in prison here. didn`t cause me any problems. not sure about death row prisoners.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    She Devil wrote: »
    Got talking to a friend of mine recently and she told me she had been writing to a death row prisoner, she then sent me the website she used so I could take a look.

At the moment I dont really know how I feel about it. Im not sure if I could do it, the guy she is writing to is in for murder according to the website, it does not give details of the crimes, just what they are in for and for how long, I have found that by googling their name it will come up with more details about their crimes.

If not why wouldnt you?

I don't, because I write to enough people (friends and family) abroad as it is.

If she's happy then that's fine, I don't think she's doing anything wrong. If a friend told me she/he was doing it then I wouldn't have a problem with it, to each their own (not because 'it's a good story'). It may not sit well with other people, but frankly it's no one else's business.
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't because I feel there are far more worth people who could do with company - there are organisations to write to soldiers if you want or get involved with the older community in your area who are probably lonely rather than scum who took someone else's life away

Whose to say someone can't write to both?
  • embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    I heard about this website a while ago;

http://www.writeaprisoner.com/

I've sent letters of support to political prisoners through Amnesty International in the past, but never to those on death row.
  • SkirtChaserSkirtChaser Posts: 47
    Forum Member

Yes...Everyone will know you are desperate.
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think writing to them is a problem, I do think that the emotional attachment that may form could be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,800
    Forum Member

If not why wouldnt you?

....can't really see the harm tbh...they're gonna be brown bread soon anyways...it is,however,a little sad
  • GraathusGraathus Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skolastyka wrote: »

This is Digital Spy, if you don't want prisoners to suffer you must be on the other extreme of blaming everyone but the criminal and wanting to given the vilest mass murderer a big hug as punishment.

There's no such thing as a middle ground.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    emby wrote: »

I've sent letters of support to political prisoners through Amnesty International in the past, but never to those on death row.

That is the website she uses, wasnt sure if I was allowed to post it here.

I have no problem with her doing it if it is what she wants, but she gave me the website to take a look saying "see if you want to write to somebody"

I dont think I could bring myself to do it, I think it would always be in the back of my mind what the person had done, I would like to think that everyone deserves a second chance but I dont think I could say that about a person that took another persons life, I feel horrible now :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think writing to them is a problem, I do think that the emotional attachment that may form could be.

This is the downside that you see on TV.

I think it really is a very altruistic thing to do or at least that seems to be the case in the beginning.

I can't keep up with my mail as it is so I'd be no good to anyone that was reliant on receiving my letters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member

desperate? for what?
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emby wrote: »

I just opened that, randomly clicked on the first one I saw. All this guff about being a good man looking for an angel to guide him through the bad times, all very touching - clicked on details of crime, aggravated sexual battery.

Just bloody hell :eek:
    Forum Member
    Graathus wrote: »
    This is Digital Spy, if you don't want prisoners to suffer you must be on the other extreme of blaming everyone but the criminal and wanting to given the vilest mass murderer a big hug as punishment.

There's no such thing as a middle ground.

True enough. I've been away for too long, clearly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where? (no answer required)

Welcome back.
    Forum Member
    That is the website she uses, wasnt sure if I was allowed to post it here.

I have no problem with her doing it if it is what she wants, but she gave me the website to take a look saying "see if you want to write to somebody"

I dont think I could bring myself to do it, I think it would always be in the back of my mind what the person had done, I would like to think that everyone deserves a second chance but I dont think I could say that about a person that took another persons life, I feel horrible now :o

Well that's fine, it's pretty normal isn't it? Friends suggesting activities to other friends? I have friends that suggest I do something they like, 'hey check this out!', but if it's not to my taste then that's fine, I'll decline and they don't/won't take issue with it. I doubt she will. She's not forcing you.

Don't feel horrible about it. You're as entitled to your feelings on the matter as she is to hers. Just respect each other's views, that's all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldnt but for someone interested in the criminal mind it could be enlightening.
  • wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    I prefer to write postcards for Amnesty International's campaign, it makes more of a difference to a political prisoner of conscience to know they are not forgotten.
    Forum Member
    ardwark wrote: »
    Where? (no answer required)

Welcome back.

I've been working, which has involved travelling quite a bit. I've got some free time now which I am very much appreciating.
    Forum Member

Not everyone, clearly.
  • adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only 25 atheists but 1978 Christians. I knew it!!

Back on topic. .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skolastyka wrote: »

Well they can obviously but in my opinion it's the wrong thing to do - if they want to write to both then why not write to more people who aren't murderers
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I wrote a letter once to a gay USA prisoner and it came back with the most filthy language.

I didn't bother again.
  • embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    Just searching through that writeaprisoner.com site and found this guy;

http://www.writeaprisoner.com/template.aspx?i=z-6989362&m=1&f=1

First few paragraphs, he sounded like sound guy, funny. But then I searched his name on Google and found this;

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/11723821.html

Because America have a much harsher judicial system than we do here there are a number of people on that site in prison for quite substantial amounts of time for non violent crimes, so I don't think I'd have a problem writing to them, it's just the other guys and girls i'd be a bit apprehensive about writing to.