Options

Samsung Galaxy S4

Comments

• Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phone looks the same plus a few software tweaks & UK not getting octomom lol

no reason to ditch the s3 just yet.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think one of the reasons the recent HTC top end phones did not do as well was the lack of memory card slot and dare I say it replaceable battery. :D

Yeah because that hurts the iPhone and Nexus 4 doesn't it :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    I'm sure everyone respects your opinion, because like you said the S3 is great an the Nexus 4 is crap, oh then you changed your mind and the Nexus 4 was great and the S3 was crap. Then you decided you were going back to the S3 as the Nexus had to many problems, then you got another Nexus 4, then you borrowed a iPhone 5,

Then your S3 had no problems, then it had too many problems, then your iPhone 4 had every problem ever, then your iPhone 4 was good but you didn't like iOS , then your iPhone 4 was useable and the screen was unfit for purpose. Then even your dad hated iOS and preferred android, then your dad loves iPhone no matter what you say, then video on your nexus 4 was the worst you've ever seen so you're going back to the S3, then the Nexus 4 is amazing you love pure android , then you're going back to Samsung with the S4,

You and Stuart H are quite literally a pair of comedians, an by he way no matter what you deny every thing I typed you have said, although the timeline/ order is out of sync , but you said it.

Oi ! leave me out of it ;)

pot meet kettle.

Edit: I used to find Hugh's witterings occasionally amusing in their banality, but he/she really is now becoming tiresome :yawn:

It would be nice to have a thread actually stay on topic :eek:

Personally I think that Samsung have been a little naughty with their S4 descriptions regarding the quad/octo thing. Will it make much actual difference ? probably not.

Is the S4 enough to justify an upgrade from the S3 ? probably not but isnt the plan now that the majority will skip phones (2 year cycle) with only a small percentage of tech-fans buying every model.
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »

I knew it would get onto this again.

The difference being is that you can have another Android phone with a battery/memory card option (people could have gone for the S3 instead), but tell me another phone that runs iOS (people don't have the choice)?

Just wondering how many Nexus 4's they would have sold if it was £500 (and I'm not saying that it's not a great phone)? How many did they sell even at that price?

A lot of people 16gb is not enough memory (I have over 25gb of music alone and my wife's 16gb iPod Mini is nearly full with all of her music as well).
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    I knew it would get onto this again.

The difference being is that you can have another Android phone with a battery/memory card option (people could have gone for the S3 instead), but tell me another phone that runs iOS (people don't have the choice)?

Just wondering how many Nexus 4's they would have sold if it was £500 (and I'm not saying that it's not a great phone)? How many did they sell even at that price?

The Nexus is an incredible phone for the money. It would be a pretty impressive phone also if it had been pitched at S3/One price. There is a percentage of people (me included) that would have chosen it over an S3 either way. Whilst the Nexus line has been around a while the aggressive pricing has made the Nexus 4 the most appealing and i think it was a smart move to make owners more savvy about pure Android and regular updates. It hasnt had a fraction of the advertising budget spent on it that Samsung and Apple spend but its popularity has been almost 'viral'.
  • Options
    Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    What the hell are you on about?? :confused:
    The reality of the mobile phone industry.
    Some of us actually work in the industry and have a decent understanding of how it works instead of making ill-informed guesses.

HTC Sensation/XE, HTC One X not good phones??
    They weren't bad phones but they simply weren't good enough to out-sell their competitors, they both had a number of objective shortcomings in comparison to the Samsung handsets they were up against.

The Sensation was rushed to market because HTC had failed to foresee the shift to dual-core processors.
    It had a poor CPU, flaky build quality and a crappy UI compared to the Galaxy S2. It was chunkier, heavier, the camera wasn't as good, the screen wasn't as good, the subsequent firmware updates have been slower and supported ended sooner than for the S2.
    And it simply wasn't as reliable.

The One X had a less powerful but more power-hungry CPU than the S3 along with a smaller battery. Again it had a poorer camera, poorer firmware support, and they completely-unnecessarily sacrificed having a removable battery and a memory card slot (a frankly ridiculous move).
    Plus, again, not as reliable.
    It so is the lack of marketing any one can see that.
    The relatively poor marketing doesn't help but to claim that's the only reason Samsung are more successful is simply incorrect.
    The only people who keep trying to make these claims are those who have decided HTC's handsets are better than the competition's despite the abundance of evidence to the contrary.

So not sure where you get your "facts" from, but you are dead wrong on that.
    I've worked in the mobile industry for years now, a lot of this is first-hand knowledge and the rest is gleaned from various tech blogs and industry publications as well as friends, acquaintances and colleagues who work in a variety of mobile phone stores up and down the country.

By comparison, having read a number of your comments in a number of threads, I find it laughable that you have the gall to call other people 'wrong'.

Not as though Samsung, or Apple phones don't have their fair share of "issues" is it? Doesn't stop them selling bucket loads of phones though.
    Samsung have the lowest faulty return rate in the industry, Apple are also significantly more reliable than HTC.
    Neither of them are flawless (Apple in particular) but they're both well ahead of HTC.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    That's because HTC had Android phones before Samsung and all the rest moved to Android. They did well with the desire because people finally saw it as the only decent alternative to an iphone . When Samsung came into the picture they as a brand are a household name, HTC are not. Even now you can ask people and HTC doesn't really come into conversation its a Apple and Samsung because they are the big names the big brands that people know.

HTC do not get themselves about enough. and really undersold their line of very capable products.

Not at all the desire was far more preferable to the galaxy s which wasn't bad, additionally previous samsung phones such as the apollo didnt compete with HTC... samsung took over with the g2 after HTC desire follow ups to the desire were poor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »

iphone is an entity all to itself in fairness and the nexus 4 is hardly a huge seller is it and for the price you can forgive some things. Having sd and removable battery is clearly preferable to not, the majority given the choice would chose it I suspect. And for those that it is essential for such as me it has an effect on sales no two ways about it.
  • Options
    slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Not at all the desire was far more preferable to the galaxy s which wasn't bad, additionally previous samsung phones such as the apollo didnt compete with HTC... samsung took over with the g2 after HTC desire follow ups to the desire were poor.

Nope the Desire HD which came out after the Desire was excellent and got good reviews. The Samsung Galaxy S was up against the Desire HD and did ok. Since it was Samsung a brand people know the Galaxy started to gain traction. HTC as a brand have never been in the public consciousness, never. Its obvious that the 2 top selling phone makers are big household brands Apple of Mac iPod and iPhone fame and Samsung with their electronic products. Its also no coincidence that these two brands are the first names people think up when it comes to phones such is their names embedded in our consciousness.

HTC have gone toe to toe with Samsung with the Sensation v galaxy S2 and one x vs galaxy s3. By that time Samsung were up people tend to go for the brands they know rather than take a chance with something not very well known.

The HTC flagships have all been great devices was de from a few niggles that all phones have. They have always had decent reviews and praise from tech sites. Also go read Amazon product reviews on these devices and the general tone is positive.

The big factor is definitely lack of marketing. Something which HTC have admitted to. They need to do more than Samsung and Apple because they do not have the name or standing in the tech world compared to the other two.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Samsung wasn't a household name like now before the s2 any more than Phillips, Panasonic etc.

The Desire HD wasn't their next gen phone though was it ,, thats where they fell down.

HTC sold better and were rated batter in the early samsung days and HTC were responsible for bringing android to the fore. Samsung had several phones before they struck gold with the s2,

And no all HTC flagship phones have not been great dince the desire the best they have managed is ok to good nothing more. Far too many issues with them to be considered great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    This split '8 core no LTE' or '4 core with LTE' seems like bit of a dumb move by Samsung.. rushed much?
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh lookee what do we have here:

http://www.sammobile.com/2013/03/22/spotted-samsung-galaxy-s4-mini/

What a surprise - not!

Leaked already and so soon??? Lol. Right then, who's upgrading to the S4 mini? Lol.
    The Galaxy S4 mini is expected to be launched during summer in June / July. The device will have a 4.3″ Super AMOLED qHD display with a pixel density of 256ppi a 1.6GHz Dual-Core CPU and based on TW Nature UX 2.0 running on Android 4.2.2. The Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini comes in a dual-sim variant as well, making it it available in two variants.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Samsung wasn't a household name like now before the s2 any more than Phillips, Panasonic etc.

The Desire HD wasn't their next gen phone though was it ,, thats where they fell down.

HTC sold better and were rated batter in the early samsung days and HTC were responsible for bringing android to the fore. Samsung had several phones before they struck gold with the s2,

And no all HTC flagship phones have not been great dince the desire the best they have managed is ok to good nothing more. Far too many issues with them to be considered great.

HTC brought Android nowhere. Android pretty much went mainstream with Samsung. HTC may have got the ball rolling but they didn't get Android to the masses. Android even now seems to be synonymous with Samsung, among the mainstream folk.

Seriously are you just pretending to be this ill informed or what?

Samsung has been a household name for a while, people been buying their LCD TVs, Blueray players, DVD players for a long time now. People know the brand Samsung do technology, stop being so silly.

HTC in terms of popularity, or what they have done outside of phones, they are nowhere! So only a fool would not realize that they need to Market their stuff hard, harder than Samsung do, just to get in to the public scope. When I had my Desire HD, many people at work, would say oh you have a Samsung? I would correct them and say no it's HTC, they would shrug their shoulders and go oh, like they haven't heard of them. You will be surprised, people still do not know HTC that well. They have no lineage with technology, people often try to think of products that companies have made and what they are known for.

Very few people I have come across who even mention HTC when talking about phones, and tha goes for younger and older people from all walks of life. Start talking about TVs however and people know Samsung, Panasonic, Toshiba, Sony. So due to Samsung's connection with other tech products, people jumped on the phones, because they are a company they know and trust.

HTC have a lot to prove to people that they offer an alternative. So they need to up their marketing campaign and be more aggressive. The smaller man, has to try twice as hard to get noticed. You can relate that to HTCs situation. They are among giants and so they need to fight harder, much harder, if they want to make it to the top.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What are you talking about I don't think you have a clue. HTC were the first manufacturer to produce a widely recognised 'iPhone' killer. The hero and desire were both recognised as the best alternatives to the iPhone for a while no Samsung was.

In the world of phones Samsung prior to the s2 were just another manufacturer. They were a brand but no different in rep to philips or Sony. In fact better known for other things than phones.

Everyone who took up android several years ago choose HTC just like I did. In 2010 HTC sales figures rose by 50% a huge increase in popularity and why they got the first nexus. The first Samsung android even worth considering was the s1.

I assume what you are saying is that HTC phones with a big budget for marketing would be no. 1 is it? I can tell you that you are seriously deluded. HTC were the darling of android and let it slip with some serious flaws in their phones and poor later models.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

Yup. Me!

I have no need for 4G at all. I never download much to need it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Yup. Me!

I have no need for 4G at all. I never download much to need it.

I would probably wait and see benchmarks for performance and battery life for both versions if I were you.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This split '8 core no LTE' or '4 core with LTE' seems like bit of a dumb move by Samsung.. rushed much?
    Not really. As bad or worse than the worlds most expensive phone with US LTE sold in the EU with only part compatible EU.(the iPhone 5 is the most expensive due to price controls.)

I assume the Optimus like 8 core starts off in markets where LTE does not exist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Leaked already and so soon???

What I can't understand is why they did not maintain the S and S2 brand names.
    A Galaxy S Plus, not the S3 Mini, should have been the iPhone 5 equivalent, not the S3 Mini. And likewise that should be the S2 Plus.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are you talking about I don't think you have a clue. HTC were the first manufacturer to produce a widely recognised 'iPhone' killer. The hero and desire were both recognised as the best alternatives to the iPhone for a while no Samsung was.

In the world of phones Samsung prior to the s2 were just another manufacturer. They were a brand but no different in rep to philips or Sony. In fact better known for other things than phones.

Everyone who took up android several years ago choose HTC just like I did. In 2010 HTC sales figures rose by 50% a huge increase in popularity and why they got the first nexus. The first Samsung android even worth considering was the s1.

I assume what you are saying is that HTC phones with a big budget for marketing would be no. 1 is it? I can tell you that you are seriously deluded. HTC were the darling of android and let it slip with some serious flaws in their phones and poor later models.

Again, I say, HTC were NEVER mainstream, they NEVER had an iphone killer in the Hero, I read every review under the sun when I purchased my Hero and every piece written on it, said it was a good phone but came up short. iphones were still selling way beyond HTCs back then. Iphone killer? Don't make me laugh! Android was very new and buggy back then. Android itself didn't reach iphone level until 4.0 came out. HTC started it off, but by no means were significantly big and nowhere near Iphone territory and still are nowhere near it. As only Samsung are close enough to Apple in this regard.

Android didn't get popular until the Samsung started to release Android phones and tablets. That's because they are a brand known to tech buying folks.

Come on, you are aren't seriously telling me that HTC were some kind of global powerhouse before?? Get out of here! Yes they had some success, but never reached anywhere near successful on a global scale.

If they were able to use better marketing, they would have done better, but even then, as I said, they are up against giants who are already plugged into the mainstream.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As we well know, it was HTC who much made Android popular.

I think Samsung won for through because their AMOLED technology gave them identity, they are the only big industrial manufacturer, and Apple chose them as the main competitor in courts.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Still no S4 discussion....Has anyone actually got one?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Still no S4 discussion....Has anyone actually got one?

It isn't out for another month, is it?
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It isn't out for another month, is it?

No, end of April. I think preorders open up on Amazon in about a week hopefully.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted