Doomsday food prepping

sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I bought a food dehydrator so that I can buy up cheap fruit and veg and dry it so I can still have them for the winter and save some money

Anyway looking on youtube for ideas, I found all these 100s of videos where people are planing for doomsday and prepping and storing food for when doomsday comes there are also loads of websites and forums as well.
I am amazed.

Im thinking what are the chances of these people keeping all this food in the event that there were thousands of hungry people turning up at their door :confused:

The furthest I have ever thought is I hope Im the first ones to die. :o

Have you ever heard of these people before? What are your thoughts on it all?

This is one vidio the more it goes on the more bizarre it all seems. At first you think oh just a few shelves of food but oh its so much more than that :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrqH-aOQyz0

Comments

• ShutupShutup Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    Her voice was too annoying, i stopped after a few seconds.

How long does this food remain edible?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    My poor freezer must think I am hoarding for Doomsday, I just keep forgetting we have no kids at home now so why do I still insist on buying for a family of 5? Someone shoot me. :o
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Are they the general survival nuts you find in the US?
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    My poor freezer must think I am hoarding for Doomsday, I just keep forgetting we have no kids at home now so why do I still insist on buying for a family of 5? Someone shoot me. :o

Awww. It takes time, you'll get used to it.

Put your food money for two weeks (bar the usual basics) towards something for YOU, and eat out of the freezer for a bit.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shutup wrote: »
    Her voice was too annoying, i stopped after a few seconds.

How long does this food remain edible?

For as long as its sealed apparently.

Yes her voice is annoying.. Did you see the sliver packs? she has tons and tons in huge plastic buckets..

She says she is on a low budget so looks like spending everything on food prep that probably will be around long after they have gone :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My kids left home many years ago and I still do it. Also serve up enough for a army and there is only me :o haha
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they the general survival nuts you find in the US?

I think they must be, I had heard of them but never imagined it was like that. I just thought of a shed fill with tins :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a food dehydrator so that I can buy up cheap fruit and veg and dry it so I can still have them for the winter and save some money

Anyway looking on youtube for ideas, I found all these 100s of videos where people are planing for doomsday and prepping and storing food for when doomsday comes there are also loads of websites and forums as well.
    I am amazed.

Im thinking what are the chances of these people keeping all this food in the event that there were thousands of hungry people turning up at their door :confused:

The furthest I have ever thought is I hope Im the first ones to die. :o

Have you ever heard of these people before? What are your thoughts on it all?

This is one vidio the more it goes on the more bizarre it all seems. At first you think oh just a few shelves of food but oh its so much more than that :eek:

they also buy guns
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bugloss wrote: »
    they also buy guns

Yes but so will other people have weapons.

If it were me maybe I would dig up the garden and make a bunker to hide everything in and no way let people know I had all this food, these people seem to broadcast the fact.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw a doc about these people in US once, they sold everything they owned and moved to the remotest location possible to prevent being killed by looters when society broke down or the rest of us got blown to bits.
    All I could think of was why? Who would want to be left here?
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit of a waste of time. If Doomsday comes the world won't be worth living in and if it is then just go out and take whatever's left over from the collapse of civilisation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WoodenCat wrote: »
    I saw a doc about these people in US once, they sold everything they owned and moved to the remotest location possible to prevent being killed by looters when society broke down or the rest of us got blown to bits.
    All I could think of was why? Who would want to be left here?

Exactly how I think. I have never once thought about wanting to survive if most other people are dead.
    I think of Mad Max and shudder :D
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has no one seen 'Doomsday Preppers' and Doomsday Preppers UK' on Discovery ?

nutters.............:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Has no one seen 'Doomsday Preppers' and Doomsday Preppers UK' on Discovery ?

nutters.............:eek:

Funny you should say that as I have just found that on youtube and thought I shall have my dinner and watch it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Funny you should say that as I have just found that on youtube and thought I shall have my dinner and watch it.

It's been a series running for 2 or 3 years..........usually featuring 3 preppers each episode............

One funny thing is that they have to give them a 'by-line' as to why they're doing it.........

So it'll be something like 'Bill Smith, preparing for magnetic pulse wave from Sun'.........and then Bill will come on and say that the magnetic pulse will destroy all communications and revert us back the middle ages............so he's stocking up with freeze dried cabbage and an arsenal of advanced weaponry which his 3 year old son is learning to use..............

It's quite entertaining...............:D
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard before somewhere that our supermarkets would run out of food within a week if there was some sort of doomsday experience. So I'd be straight down there to ramraid one.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I stumbled across a YT video the other day where somebody was, apparently, digging up a "stash" of "SHTF" stuff he'd buried in the desert and then went through it all in the video.

There was a change of clothes, first aid stuff, food, water, vitamins and then... a rifle and a heap of ammunition. :eek:

I mean, I kinda get the idea of all this prepping stuff. If you live in a part of the USA that's prone to floods, fires or earthquakes then, maybe, having supplies for a "SHTF" situation is actually a pretty good idea but, geez, burying a rifle and ammunition out in the desert doesn't seem like very smart thing to do.

I know yanks have pretty lax laws with regard to guns but surely burying a firearm and ammunition out in the desert, where you have no control over it and where any yahoo might find it, must be a criminal offence of some kind? :confused:
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know yanks have pretty lax laws with regard to guns but surely burying a firearm and ammunition out in the desert, where you have no control over it and where any yahoo might find it, must be a criminal offence of some kind?

Si - hardly one the Americans could afford to police...isn't there supposed to be THREE illegal firearms for every one held legally?
  • Sargeant80Sargeant80 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't buy into the whole preparing for the end of the world, but I guess I do prep in a small way.

I have a bug out bag and always make sure I have a couple of weeks food supply at home and the ability to purify water.

Natural disasters can happen and it amazes me how unprepared people are and I'm guessing most people here would struggle after only a few days without power, water and a visit to tesco.
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Kivi discovered Doomsday Preppers the other day and we can't stop watching :o
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

Oh I just knew they were going to be American!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always have a few days supplies in, actually it's probably a week or more...........but it's really just in case we have prolonged rain and I don't fancy the 100 yard trek to the shops.............:eek:
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,939
    Forum Member
    bugloss wrote: »
    they also buy guns

Aye, the funny thing is though, that a lot of the doomsday preppers are prepared for a very specific vision of the downfall of man, and all their preparations rely on it being that series of events.

So it doesn't really help you at all if you're fully prepared for the Zombie apocalypse if it's an asteroid hitting the earth, or you might be really well prepared for a nuclear war (based on 1950's nukes), but be totally screwed if it turns out it's a the bird flu from hell.
    Or even you might be prepared for the bird flu from hell, but not for something spread via the water supply.

Although what even funnier is when their preparations rely heavily on certain parts of society/the modern infrastructure remaining in good working order - IE they're relying on their car/van to get them out of danger, ignoring that even if the immediate events don't stop it working (modern cars would be toast from an emp, and practically impossible to get running around without a proper workshop), are likely to run into problems like the roads being gridlocked.

Or they're prepared for the short term survival "I've got a years supply of food", but they don't have any real clue about what they'll do when that food runs out, little or no seed stock, no real hand tools*, no experience with things like raising food as a necessity and not just a hobby, and often no paper books with information that they are likely to find they need "it's all right, I've got access to the internet via 3 different methods and a bunch of DIY DVD's I've never watched".
    Let alone the ones who have got multiple years worth of emergency food they're prepared themselves, but they've given no thought to the actual nutritional value of it, so are going to be suffering from Scurvy or other illnesses brought on by deficiencies in their diet in short order if they ever have to rely on it (and even where they might have chosen food with a balance in mind, have often forgotten that some of the nutrients can be lost long before the food is off).

I tried watching a couple of programmes on different preppers in the U.S. and they struck me as quite sad really, and in some cases bordering on mentally unsound.

*We'll be able to get fuel and spares for our power tools when civilisation goes to heck and we have to walk everywhere...
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Si - hardly one the Americans could afford to police...isn't there supposed to be THREE illegal firearms for every one held legally?

True enough.

My point was really more the flip-side of that issue though.
    You'd think a responsible, law-abiding, gun-owner would avoid doing something so irresponsible for fear of bringing like-minded people into disrepute.

I mean, headlines like "Teenager kills best friend with rifle found amongst prepper cache" aren't likely to do the prepping community any favours.
    Nilrem wrote: »
    Aye, the funny thing is though, that a lot of the doomsday preppers are prepared for a very specific vision of the downfall of man, and all their preparations rely on it being that series of events.

So it doesn't really help you at all if you're fully prepared for the Zombie apocalypse if it's an asteroid hitting the earth, or you might be really well prepared for a nuclear war (based on 1950's nukes)....

Funny thing there is, I always think of the whole "zombie apocalypse" thing as a pretty good metaphorical litmus test for any more mundane disaster than a real potential threat.

If, for example, you read Max Brooks' "Zombie Survival Guide" you'll find that it's actually filled with the sort of genuine survival information that's found in army field-manuals etc for decades, just given a make-over to make it more interesting for the sci-fi generation.

Thing is, making a poor job of preparing for armageddon is actually quite a good way of ensuring that you will be reasonably (if not very) well prepared for a more mundane incident.

Let's face it, if the dead do rise or if somebody decides to nuke the planet, we're all going to be screwed regardless of whether we've got a few tubs of dehydrated food and a change of clothes whereas that stuff IS likely to be damned useful if your town gets hit by a flood or a tornado.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My kids left home many years ago and I still do it. Also serve up enough for a army and there is only me :o haha

I'm glad I'm not the only one. :)
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I always have a few days supplies in, actually it's probably a week or more...........but it's really just in case we have prolonged rain and I don't fancy the 100 yard trek to the shops.............:eek:

I've been snowed in more than once in the last few winters, and the people* laughing at me for having loads of tins stockpiled had to admit I'd been right.

*Sons and daughters with cars who live near shops.