Options

Heed the warnings of eating sugar free sweets

Comments

• Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I avoid sugar free versions of all sweets etc as they have a very bad effect on me.
    The packets always say "consumed in large quantities may have a mild laxative effect"

No. Consumed in ANY quantity WILL have a SIGNIFICANT laxative effect.
    The smell is the worst aspect.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,512
    Forum Member
    'Gastric Exorcism'!
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are these on sale in the UK? If so, I shall be trying them out and taking one for the team.

If anything, to turn me away from sweets forever.

ETA: Should also stress I am reading the reviews on a bus as we speak. I am getting odd looks from the other passengers as I try to refrain from laughing out loud.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    'I laid on the bed and prayed for a fart.'
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are these on sale in the UK? If so, I shall be trying them out and taking one for the team.

Honestly do not do it! It makes me laugh so much as I know exactly what they mean. :D
  • Options
    ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member
    Elyan wrote: »
    'I laid on the bed and prayed for a fart.'

Yasser ?
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those poor people! :D

The first ingredient is hydrogenated glucose syrup, which consists of maltitol and sorbitol. Says it all. Sweetener and laxative in one!
  • Options
    KathrynhaKathrynha Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds good for the diet as you will spend a day feeling too ill to eat anything, and everything currently in your system will come out. Surely that has to lead to a weight loss :)

Think I will stick to traditional healthy eating with minimal processed food to lose weight
  • Options
    DixDix Posts: 79,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ETA: Should also stress I am reading the reviews on a bus as we speak. I am getting odd looks from the other passengers as I try to refrain from laughing out loud.
    Eating sugar free candy isn't a great idea if you eat more than 1/4 of a piece, as the consequences are gross. Being a Diabetic I've eaten sugar-free sweets, but at very small amounts, as I've also suffered the consequences of more than 1 sweet, and spent most of an evening in the bog. Don't think the manufacturers are aware of what they can do to people, and if they sell them by a lb weight, then I suggest they eat them all to see the effects, which won't be mild.

But I reckon once you've tried them you'll want to stick with regular sweets. :D
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I eat sulla sugar free sweets almost everyday, limit myself to 4 or 5 pieces of candy and never have any problem with them.
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sugar free sweets aren't all that bad, they just overdo it on some brands.

In general I try to stay away from foods or drinks with the main point removed, such as decaffeinated coffee or anything that claims to be low fat. Theirs always a trade off and most of the time its not worth it.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha! Amazon should have loo airfreshener and reading material in the "customers also buy" bit.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I never go for the sugar free option of anything, if you dont want sugar dont eat it but far better the real thing than the chemical repacements which many people are actually allergic to , we know the long term effects of too much sugar are bad teeth ( if you dont clean properly etc) and weight, the long term effects of these chemicals are still not known.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought people would be commenting on the funny reviews. Its was something to lighten the day.

I dont eat sugar, and never eat sugar free sweets anymore. Just eat 90% lindt chocolate if I fancy something sweet. :)
  • Options
    aggielaneaggielane Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    I am buying a bag of these for next years trick or treaters.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I'm tempted to get a bag and leave it out in the office. We bring in cakes/sweets occasionally and one greedy colleague usually scoffs the lot before anyone else can get anything. Revenge could be sweet and sugar free :)
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Personally I never go for the sugar free option of anything, if you dont want sugar dont eat it but far better the real thing than the chemical repacements which many people are actually allergic to , we know the long term effects of too much sugar are bad teeth ( if you dont clean properly etc) and weight, the long term effects of these chemicals are still not known.

The sweeteners in these Haribo are the sugar alcohols maltitol and sorbitol, and I'd say their effects are fairly well known-- especially to the reviewers in the OP's link.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I expect the effects of eating these would be just like having a colonic irrigation except you don't need to have a pipe up your backside for a couple of hours :D
  • Options
    DixDix Posts: 79,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought people would be commenting on the funny reviews. Its was something to lighten the day.

I dont eat sugar, and never eat sugar free sweets anymore. Just eat 90% lindt chocolate if I fancy something sweet. :)
    The review was funny, and best laugh of the day, which get me up and running, as it were. :D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I am bookmarking that link, and shall order a couple of bags for next year's Halloween trick or treaters. :)
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
  • Options
    vodkamargarinevodkamargarine Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has cheered me up this afternoon! Not that all those people suffered, just their comic descriptions!
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Elyan wrote: »

Those reviews are priceless! I especially like this one:
    Being a loose cannon who does not play by the rules the first thing I did was ignore the warning and smear this all over my knob and bollocks. The bollocks I knew and loved are gone now. In their place is a maroon coloured bag of agony which sends stabs of pain up my body every time it grazes against my thigh or an article of clothing. I am suffering so that you don't have to. Heed my lesson. DO NOT PUT ON KNOB AND BOLLOCKS.

(I am giving this product a 5 because despite the fact that I think my bollocks might fall off, they are now completely hairless.)

:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I shall stick to chocolate.... Wonka's Millionaire Shortbread being the one of choice at the moment. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was reading the ingredients of Gripe water yesterday and its has maltitol in it :eek::confused: