Options

Security lights

sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The man next door to me was burgled in the week. So I want to get security lighting ( the type that comes on when someone walks past) as where I live there isnt any lighting and its very dark.

Ive looked on ebay and they are affordable well some are.. is there any that I should avoid?

Are the solar ones any good? Im thinking not, as we have more dull days than sunny. Can you get battery ones at all?

Are they hard to fit? What else would I need besides the actual lights?

Comments

• Options
    Early BirdEarly Bird Posts: 2,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    go to your local DIY store, there is a wide selection for you to look at, some are suitable for a short distance, whereas others will pick up movement from a greater distance.... how big is your garden?

someone in the DIY store will help you
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Early Bird wrote: »
    go to your local DIY store, there is a wide selection for you to look at, some are suitable for a short distance, whereas others will pick up movement from a greater distance.... how big is your garden?

someone in the DIY store will help you

Thank you! Yes that is a good idea. Although loads of shops dont seem to know anything anymore unlike days gone where they always knew their products.

My garden is medium sized but its the side with the gate that is a worry as its down a alleyway without lighting.. So want the light kind of focusing on the gate part. but dont want it to keep going off for any and every reason as its outside my bedroom.

Im going to plant bushes all the way along the fence and also have loads of hanging baskets all the way round (even on the gate) so it makes it very hard for someone to climb over.. Going to get a padlock for the back gate so even if they got over they wont really be able to make off with anything heavy or big.

Can you think of anything else?
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Until recently I would have said that the only ones worth having would be mains powered, but since LEDs have improved so much it's just possible that a battery one might be worth trying. The reviews for this one on Amazon seem pretty favourable:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mr-Beams-MB390-300-Lumen-Weatherproof/dp/B00CERDTY6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1383991765&sr=8-2&keywords=battery+powered+security+light

I'd still be a bit concerned that you'd find that just when you needed the light the batteries had run down. However, since that one uses 4 D-cell batteries I should think the battery life would be pretty good, though I still think you'd be better with a mains light. The batteries wouldn't be cheap either.

I have two security lights but use them very little because they tend to come on even on dull winter afternoons if you walk past them, and I haven't been able to adjust them to prevent that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    Until recently I would have said that the only ones worth having would be mains powered, but since LEDs have improved so much it's just possible that a battery one might be worth trying. The reviews for this one on Amazon seem pretty favourable:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mr-Beams-MB390-300-Lumen-Weatherproof/dp/B00CERDTY6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1383991765&sr=8-2&keywords=battery+powered+security+light

I'd still be a bit concerned that you'd find that just when you needed the light the batteries had run down. However, since that one uses 4 D-cell batteries I should think the battery life would be pretty good, though I still think you'd be better with a mains light. The batteries wouldn't be cheap either.

I have two security lights but use them very little because they tend to come on even on dull winter afternoons if you walk past them, and I haven't been able to adjust them to prevent that.

Myself and the man who lives next door are the only ones that would need to use that path ( the path starts off where we park our cars and then splits into two paths one to mine and the other to his. No one else uses them as most people walk across the the grass at the front.
    So its just really us or people that are coming to actually knock on our doors ( postman etc dont use that way) So would not keep going on and off.

Will have a look at them as sounds great for me as I am disabled and cant fit them for myself anymore and dont have the money to pay someone.

Someone said to ask the council to put lighting up there, as its very dangerous trying to walk along the path as its very dark and these places are for the elderly and disabled.
    Im reluctant to ask though as dont want them to think I want something for nothing.. but most people who see the path cant believe there isnt a light there for us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been reading the reviews of that light Sigurd and it looks just the thing for me :)

Saves having to worry about paying someone to fit it.

Also will be great for lighting my way in the mornings and evenings
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been reading the reviews of that light Sigurd and it looks just the thing for me :)

Saves having to worry about paying someone to fit it.

Also will be great for lighting my way in the mornings and evenings
    Remember, though, that the batteries would need to be replaced from time to time, so it would be sensible to mount the light where you could reach it fairly easily, rather than high up on a wall.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    Remember, though, that the batteries would need to be replaced from time to time, so it would be sensible to mount the light where you could reach it fairly easily, rather than high up on a wall.

They are giving the life of the batteries around a year. So I think if I get someone to change them every 6 or 7 mths then I can be sure they are working. I have to have it fairly high as it has to go higher than the fence. :)
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    Seems like a good time to suggest to people who live at the end of a cul-del-sac to not have a security light which shine directly into the eyes of someone using the turning area. It is *your* gate post which is at risk.
  • Options
    BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in Costco the other day and they had a pretty flash one. It's LED and it swivels and tracks whatever it detects moving AND it videos them onto an integral SD card. S'pose it'd be a faff to go up a ladder every time you wanted to get the SD card to view the footage (I'd be very nosey/curious and want to look at it every morning!) but then again you don't really need to look at the footage unless something's happened. I think it was £80ish?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just the fact that an intruder is aware they've been detected can be enough to put them off - an led security light with a dummy camera would be a good combination.
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm after a PIR light for the side of my drive, when I pull up in my car its so dark. I dont want a full on security light, does anybody know of anything else? More like a welcome light I suppose :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JJ75 wrote: »
    I'm after a PIR light for the side of my drive, when I pull up in my car its so dark. I dont want a full on security light, does anybody know of anything else? More like a welcome light I suppose :confused:

B&Q have a good range of PIR operated decorative outdoor lighting.

Of you could have a separate PIR linked to a light of your choice - if you intend to use low energy lamps make sure the PIR is compatible.

If you want practicality combined with value for money, you could fit one, or more, of these bulkhead lights...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bulkhead-with-pir-rectangular-black-60w/39450
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter_CJ wrote: »
    B&Q have a good range of PIR operated decorative outdoor lighting.

Of you could have a separate PIR linked to a light of your choice - if you intend to use low energy lamps make sure the PIR is compatible.

If you want practicality combined with value for money, you could fit one, or more, of these bulkhead lights...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bulkhead-with-pir-rectangular-black-60w/39450

Thats it!! Thats the kind of thing I'm after. Thanks so much.