Is Sky on the way out...have you ditched them.?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 888
Forum Member
✭✭
I have ditched them and bought a humax recorder, got BT SPORT free :p, netflix especially the american version is so much better than sky movies....gone from £65 a month to £5.99, all my friends are ditching them.

Comments

• trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I ditched them in 1992.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i never had them in the first place.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see Sky struggling once they lose the Champions League. I pay extra for sky sports now, unless they can get the Premiership rights back I can see them losing my custom as well as others, why continue to pay £xx per month if I'm getting less football for my money
  • Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, once the Ashes have finished in January. Can't really justify £65 a month for hundreds of channels I never watch.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About a year or so after they went digital. I couldn't justify the costs. It started out reasonable but they just kept pushing it up. But is it on the way out? How do you know?
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    will_bun wrote: »
    I have ditched them and bought a humax recorder, got BT SPORT free :p, netflix especially the american version is so much better than sky movies....gone from £65 a month to £5.99, all my friends are ditching them.

They must be right pissed off. I have Sky Go just for the football i.e. don't have any other Sky services as I don't watch that much TV and can watch in iPlayer etc what I want when I want, so when BT Sport do take over, I shall see what's what. But I shan't carry it on unless I get my money's worth which if they don't show football, I shan't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the while they have the golf, tennis and cricket I'll keep paying.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really hope they do struggle!

I've boycotted Murdoch and all his works back when he was allowed to buy the Times (1981 nor thereabouts) and would be delighted to see it go down the pan.

For people in areas that aren't cabled though, a basic Sky package is often the cheapest deal for phone and internet, so that may give them enough loyal customers to keep going.
  • RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    I would never ever ditch sky as freeview is rubbish
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I ditched them last year as my phone and internet were with a diff company and it made sense to get the TV as a package.

Ever since they've been sending me letters for 9 months half price (new box, free installation etc etc), so they do seem like they are desperate to gain / bring back customers.
  • nafanny29nafanny29 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would sign up to sky sports if they didnt show adverts every few minutes. I thought the point of paying for premium channels is that they should be ad-free.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    I have had Sky for 20 years and have no intention of getting rid, ever.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    I can see Sky struggling once they lose the Champions League. I pay extra for sky sports now, unless they can get the Premiership rights back I can see them losing my custom as well as others, why continue to pay £xx per month if I'm getting less football for my money

Not everyone has Sky only for the sports channels. And of the people who do have it mainly for the sports channels, I'd imagine quite a few of them don't only subscribe for the Champions League.
  • RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    I have had Sky for 20 years and have no intention of getting rid, ever.

I've had sky from about 1984 or 85
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    overpriced IMO

99% of the population watches the main channels most of the time. + I not get soprt I want to watch free on BT

Sky had a monopoly.. £700 a year for TV ! thats BS.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »

I have Sky Sports for the football but rarely watch Champions League so don't care about that. If they lost the PL then I would dump Sky Sports but would keep the other packs I have.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    Not everyone has Sky only for the sports channels. And of the people who do have it mainly for the sports channels, I'd imagine quite a few of them don't only subscribe for the Champions League.

I pay extra for my sports subscription, that's the point I was making, the subscription will still be an extra £xx per month but show less football that is unless they can get more Premiership league right back....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I have no plans to ditch them. There are some people who seem to want to "call me out" on that in real life, but I just tell them where they can go.
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Yes I ditched them last year after the prices went up, there was a lot of junk channels we didn't need and I can watch football via 'other means' ;) - went to Virgin M+ which Sky REALLY didn't like, haven't looked back, Tivo and On Demand are an absolute godsend. I now pay £18 a month (if I was to have the sports channels again it would still work out cheaper than Sky) and for Sky it was about £50-£60 a month as I had Sky Sports

I do have the little NOW TV box though.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I plan to cancel in the new year. Or at the very least go down to the lowest tariff. The tariff that allows use of the recording features on the box only.
  • duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky is still expanding so somebody likes it. Most people have it because the system is excellent, it's much better than Freeview, not just because of the channels. We have Sky+ with the large memory bank forget what they call it. It is expensive relative to Netflix but Netflix is not offering 24 hour news and bringing in all the main channels plus I would not want all my TV to come from a US source. If the Sky customer base drops they will lower the price, they won't be put out of business. As for BT challenging them they have so overpaid for football, they will never get that money back, it will be on your phone bill.
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it isn't.

I couldn't cope with just Freeview or Freesat now, as most of the programming I watch is on pay channels.
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    duncann wrote: »
    Sky is still expanding so somebody likes it. Most people have it because the system is excellent, it's much better than Freeview, not just because of the channels. We have Sky+ with the large memory bank forget what they call it. It is expensive relative to Netflix but Netflix is not offering 24 hour news and bringing in all the main channels plus I would not want all my TV to come from a US source. If the Sky customer base drops they will lower the price, they won't be put out of business. As for BT challenging them they have so overpaid for football, they will never get that money back, it will be on your phone bill.

BT are honest about it though, they want people to sign up to broadband the chairman openly says that, they may have overpaid, but they can afford it, I'd expect them to shunt Sky/Murdoch into a secondary broadcaster like Murdoch did to the BBC and ITV in a number of years if they can get exclusive rights on Champions League games. Interesting note that BSkyB's shares fell 10% because of it.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so they do seem like they are desperate to gain / bring back customers.

They're not desperate - those offers are pretty standard.

Sky won't be going anywhere any time soon.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Sky isn't going anywhere.

I ditched the sports package last summer. Used to unsubscribe in the summer to save a bit of cash.

I'll probably cancel altogether next year.