Ridiculous lack of choice with Apple

Comments

• Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    there's really no need to over think this.
    people who want an iphone will buy one, people who want an android phone will buy one.

why is there a need for the "my phone is better than your phone" penis measuring competition?

just accept someone's choice and deal with it.

The Apple marketing department obviously took a leaf out the Moonies book. Apple's adverts basically say "If you don't have an iPhone, you are nothing but a sad loser and a waster and nobody will want to sleep with you.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    The Apple marketing department obviously took a leaf out the Moonies book. Apple's adverts basically say "If you don't have an iPhone, you are nothing but a sad loser and a waster and nobody will want to sleep with you.

umm.. you can say that about all marketing/advertising.
    marketing is about making you want to buy a product.

just look at any car advert and you will see the exact same thing.
    Forum Member
    Apple's marketing is all about drawing you into the (in)famous Cult of Mac and it is renowned for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    Apple's marketing is all about drawing you into the (in)famous Cult of Mac.

obviously. why would their marketing dept do anything other that. that's what marketing it about, and they are pretty damned good at doing that it would seem.

just like samsungs marketing dept doing the "anti-apple" thing.
    just like the classic volkswagen adverts thru-out the years.

by definition, marketing is about luring you to their product. apple is not unique in this.
    Forum Member
    No Apple are not unique, but they are bloody good at it. The knock on effect is this Cult of Mac situation which has contributed to the Mac v PC "wars" and now the Iphone v everybody else situation we have now. What you said in your post is all well and good, but when you have hooks so firmly embedded in their customer base, the my dad is better than your dad situation is inevitable.
  • TalizmanTalizman Posts: 2,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave up on the pointless Apple v Android squabbles ages ago. I was a firm Android fan and nothing was going to change that.

Then when my contract was up I was going to go for the Sensation XL but I fancied a change and went for the 4s. It's early days yet but I can see it has good and bad points. I always swore I'd never become one of those "if it was a woman I'd sex it and give it babies" types of Apple fans and I'm sticking to it. So far I think the Android browser is slightly better but only just - Safari is still very good.

All this business about customisation is beyond me. Yes there's a very clear difference between how you can personalise the two OSs but it makes no difference to me, I've never been one to want to mess about with the way it looks although I do like my ringtones and it can be slightly annoying at how much of a potch it is to make your own through iTunes - I'm a fan of drag-and-drop.

I'll be the first to disagree with "It just works". Add the words 'erratically sometimes' to the end and then you'll have me onboard.

It's all horses for courses - if you're high on customisation then Apple probably isn't for you. If you don't mind then you'll probably love it. Apple may have decided how they want you to use it but that's not something Jobs thought up in a meditational trance - research would have put those ideas in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Got to agree there, icloud does not work and is the biggest anticlimax that I have ever known. I think it was that, that turned me against iphone and so went for Lumia 800 instead. Now windows 7, Zune and skyride works very well. Also with Skyride you get 25 gb to play about with and you can use it like dropbox with your documents etc.

Itunes is the devil of software and icloud is utterly useless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you find doesn't work in iCloud? Seems fine to me. The only thing I didn't like was the fact I had to download a dashboard before I could use it - nobody told me that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got to agree there, icloud does not work and is the biggest anticlimax that I have ever known. I think it was that, that turned me against iphone and so went for Lumia 800 instead. Now windows 7, Zune and skyride works very well. Also with Skyride you get 25 gb to play about with and you can use it like dropbox with your documents etc.

Itunes is the devil of software and icloud is utterly useless.

iCloud very must does work. I use it (fully) on 2 iPhones and it does exactly what it is supposed to do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talizman wrote: »
    What do you find doesn't work in iCloud? Seems fine to me. The only thing I didn't like was the fact I had to download a dashboard before I could use it - nobody told me that.

you don't have to download anything before you can use it.
    what "dashboard' are you talking about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you don't have to download anything before you can use it.
    what "dashboard' are you talking about.

In order to sync contacts directly from Outlook you need the dashboard.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In order to sync contacts directly from Outlook you need the dashboard.

You mean you had to download the iCloud client for Windows.
    Of course this was required, as windows does not have iCloud support built-in.

You said nobody told you that - but it is clearly documented http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/pc.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. Nobody tells you this. But it still works ok.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly. Nobody tells you this. But it still works ok.

except they do tell you, as clearly shown in the link i provided.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    except they do tell you, as clearly shown in the link i provided.

No, they do not clearly tell you anything. When I registered my iCloud it made no reference to downloading anything. Yes the answer was out there but as you now see, it was not 'clear'. Most people use PCs so it would have been helpful if it HAD been clear though.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    there's really no need to over think this.
    people who want an iphone will buy one, people who want an android phone will buy one.

why is there a need for the "my phone is better than your phone" penis measuring competition?

just accept someone's choice and deal with it.

Certainly a lot of posts from you in this thread are you having trouble accepting someones opinion and choice as per your advice above ...or are you only able to do that when they agree with you.

Worst kind of posting when its done just for effect tut tut.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apple purposely restrict their users because once choice is made available in their ecosystem, major flaws are exposed. Why do you think they always release new updates which break the Jailbreak and constantly find ways to remove apps which improve the functionality of their OS unless they are released by Apple themselves...particularly apps from Google...?

I don't buy their 'one size fits all' ethos at all. It's probably why Android is doing so well. People always like a choice.
  • The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So far I think the Android browser is slightly better but only just - Safari is still very good.

Really? What makes you think the Android stock is better? Because I've seen people say that before, but I'd say Mobile Safari is one of the very few ways that iOS is better than Android.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? What makes you think the Android stock is better? Because I've seen people say that before, but I'd say Mobile Safari is one of the very few ways that iOS is better than Android.

Each to his.own obviously but for me it's like the auto zoom on Android is just right as well as the way it fits text to the size of the screen. The bookmarks seem less cluttered too. As I said earlier the iPhone browser isn't terrible (see Symbian for that) but I think Android just edges it. Just.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

In what way?

The s2 stock browser i found much faster than Safari...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll say this for the iPhone browser though, it has not crashed or closed on some of the sites that would cause the Android browser to close.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    you cant change iOS

if you try Lord Steve will smite you
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Certainly a lot of posts from you in this thread are you having trouble accepting someones opinion and choice as per your advice above ...or are you only able to do that when they agree with you.

Worst kind of posting when its done just for effect tut tut.

you'll see that my post actually advocated people's choice.
    what i don't agree with is people constantly trying to start that "my phone is better than yours argument".

however, when someones posts a "this <insert product> doesn't work" then i will challenge that if i have evidence of it actually working.

for the record, stock ICS looks pretty good on the nexus S. what ruins it, IMO, is the multitude of skins (some of them poor) that manufacturer put over the top of it.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    you'll see that my post actually advocated people's choice.
    what i don't agree with is people constantly trying to start that "my phone is better than yours argument".

however, when someones posts a "this <insert product> doesn't work" then i will challenge that if i have evidence of it actually working.

Yes and your not doing any of that are you. All youve done is tell prople that what they dont like or doesnt work for them is wrong. Just accept things dont work for some people regardless of your 'evidence' or it working for you and take the advice you so freely give out to others .. accept it and move on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Yes and your not doing any of that are you. All youve done is tell prople that what they dont like or doesnt work for them is wrong. Just accept things dont work for some people regardless of your 'evidence' or it working for you and take the advice you so freely give out to others .. accept it and move on.

take your own advice as well. move on.