Options

Kidnap victim on TV talent show

ValereValere Posts: 1,172
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/16042011/19/kidnap-victim-tv-talent-show.html
Ms Griffiths said she wanted to be known for her talent rather than her story.
She told the Sun: "I want to impress people for who I am and what I can do, not because I was kidnapped as a baby.
"People were saying I should tell the judges my story as it could help me get through .
"I've watched loads of these shows and I know people use sob stories to get the judges in their side. But the producers understood my decision to stay quiet - and I don't regret it."

How is talking to the Sun in any way keeping quiet? What a silly moo. She obviously IS using the story, and it seems that she cares more than anyone else because this is the first I've even heard of her case.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure it was harrowing for the parents, but does being kidnapped as a baby (when you wouldn't even rememberer it, at 2 days old lol) really count as a sob story. I doubt she has nightmares about it :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would never have been kept quiet.
    When she was kidnapped, it was national news and everyone kept a look out for her.
    Had she not come straight away and told the producers that she didn't want to ride off the back of a sob story, they would have found out anyway.
    She didn't have much choice in the matter. I admire her for that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    MrsSpoon wrote: »
    It would never have been kept quiet.
    When she was kidnapped, it was national news and everyone kept a look out for her.
    Had she not come straight away and told the producers that she didn't want to ride off the back of a sob story, they would have found out anyway.
    She didn't have much choice in the matter. I admire her for that.
    I agree, anyone my age or older would remember it, especially if they had children around the same age, s I did. Although she won't remember the kidnapping, her mum and relatives certainly will and it is likely to have affected the way people interacted with her. I hope she does well.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember this, my son is a similar age. I don't think it's really a sob story - she wouldn't have remembered - more of a trauma for her poor mother than her!
  • Options
    ValereValere Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope she does well.

Why? We don't even know if she's any good yet.

Even if the story would have come out in the press, she could have tried the "no comment" route if she was serious about not wanting to use it.
  • Options
    Rose BuddRose Budd Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember this happening at the time. it was world wide news and helped to make maternity wards where they are today - doors locked and buzzers. It was a horrible story. the mother was very young and split with the dad not long after as I remember it.
  • Options
    RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rose Budd wrote: »
    I remember this happening at the time. it was world wide news and helped to make maternity wards where they are today - doors locked and buzzers. It was a horrible story. the mother was very young and split with the dad not long after as I remember it.

I remember this incident too. It was a terrible thing to happen.. But fortunately they found Dawn's baby Alex unharmed. But like you say hospitals after this tightened up their security on manternity wards and made them save today.
    Alex is a mirror image of her mum to look at. Good luck to her when she appears on the show.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Valere wrote: »
    Why? We don't even know if she's any good yet.

Even if the story would have come out in the press, she could have tried the "no comment" route if she was serious about not wanting to use it.

True, but it still would have come out, with or without her cooperation - it was HUGE story at the time - I didn't have kids and I remember it very clearly, down to exactly what her mother looked like - sounds like there was already wind of it in the press and so she's chosen to speak about it now, and perhaps stop the press making up things if she chose not to talk to them - the point is she didn't use it to get to where ever she got to in the competition.

It wasn't a case of her disappearing for a few days and then being found, the results of what happened, as has been said, lead to the security etc we have on maternity wards to this day.
  • Options
    Malc LondonMalc London Posts: 2,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember, the show is pre-recorded at this stage. I think the point was that she didn't use the story to get through on sympathy.

I remember the kidnap very well, huge story at the time. She does look like her mum.
  • Options
    r.a.i.n.b.o.wr.a.i.n.b.o.w Posts: 9,705
    Forum Member
    OOh, I used to know her mum, and I went out with her (Alex's) dad's brother before that :D This was before any of us had children. We lost touch after the kidnapping.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/16042011/19/kidnap-victim-tv-talent-show.html

How is talking to the Sun in any way keeping quiet? What a silly moo. She obviously IS using the story, and it seems that she cares more than anyone else because this is the first I've even heard of her case.

It would never have stayed a secret as soon as her audition had been televised. She still has a recognisable face (very similar to her mother) and though I was only 10 at the time, I remember the story.

You can bet 99% of the same people criticising her for talking about it would be calling her a stuck up cow for not doing so.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Non of these personal experiences should be in the paper. These tend to give unfair advantages.
  • Options
    sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Non of these personal experiences should be in the paper. These tend to give unfair advantages.

Some of them would be difficult to keep out of the papers though, this story included. It was a massive story at the time and had an impact on not just the family, but the whole country, and there has been interest in the family since it happened.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    If she did not want the judges to know her story then why tell it to the press? We do not need to know about this story and she is obviously after sympathy. It does my head in all these stories.
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We would have known about it as soon as she was shown anyway, it wouldn't be hard for the press to link her name and that incident together, it's not a massive deal
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unifix wrote: »
    If she did not want the judges to know her story then why tell it to the press? We do not need to know about this story and she is obviously after sympathy. It does my head in all these stories.

As soon as her name had appeared on the screen under that very recognisable face that has hardly changed since she was a little girl and that is so much like her mother, many members of the media would have known who she was and many viewers would have recognised and started asking if it was her.
  • Options
    JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    I remember this kidnapping. The other one that sticks in my mind more is Abbie Humphreys stolen from Nottingham's QMC in July 1994, as I was on duty on a medical ward at the hospital that day and remember the police searching our ward, checking in bins and everywhere. It's also memorable to me as my niece was born on exactly the same day as Abbie and I was pregnant with my first daughter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jayma wrote: »
    I remember this kidnapping. The other one that sticks in my mind more is Abbie Humphreys stolen from Nottingham's QMC in July 1994, as I was on duty on a medical ward at the hospital that day and remember the police searching our ward, checking in bins and everywhere. It's also memorable to me as my niece was born on exactly the same day as Abbie and I was pregnant with my first daughter.

And Natalie Horrell, stolen from her big sister at a shopping centre after a woman posing as a security officer told her mum that she needed to speak to her because they thought she had been caught on camera shoplifting. She was also found safe like Alexandra and Abbie.

These baby abductions rarely end up any other way, thankfully, because the culprits tend to be women who are desperate for a child so won't hurt them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    ibeca wrote: »
    As soon as her name had appeared on the screen under that very recognisable face that has hardly changed since she was a little girl and that is so much like her mother, many members of the media would have known who she was and many viewers would have recognised and started asking if it was her.
    I don't see how the face of a baby that has been kidnapped can be the same as a 21 year old woman. Is it really the media's or public's business? Is it really in the public interest?