Who remembers the programme 999?

Comments

• sheepiestarsheepiestar Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    hehe I remember this show, I loved it. The episode that sticks out most in my memory was when a man was out jogging by a canal and got stung on the lip by a bee. It turned out he was allergic and developed anaphalactic shock. I'm pretty sure they made him up to have a scary swollen face and he had a race against time to find someone on the canal path to call for help for him.

No wonder I'm scared of bees! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    I remember it very well.

I've still got my Pocket Shepard and take it with me everywhere I go.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    Sorry to necro, but does anyone know if any channel is currently showing repeats of 999? I was thinking that perhaps Blighty could take it on, it seems to fit with other programmes in their schedules.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Does anyone remember the episode with the two boys messing about with a lift? What actually happened with that? - I think I've had a mental block it was so horrendous. :eek:
  • c0boc0bo Posts: 6,468
    Forum Member
    I can remember it,

I remember that it was presented / narrated by a man who also presented the BBC New at 10 and could remember watching where a man was riding his bike helmet less, a lorry knocked him over and he went crashed into the road head first. And as result he ended up paralysed I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fun fact : Infuriate your friends and family by playing hang-man.

TV Show , _ _ _

It's always a good game!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    I think I will remember the one with the javelin through the neck to my dying day - our teachers were always bringing it up in PE whenever we were practising the javelin!
  • rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember this - the music used to scare the life out of me...it was the DUH DUH DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHN at the end.

And no matter what day, what time, what situation, if you had an accident near the sea, Michael Burke would deliver the killer line - 'the tide was always about to come in'

I remember one episode where a group of scouts went caving and had to duck under water to reach the next part...one boy went under the water but through the wrong bit and got stuck in this random small cave and the oxygen started running out...

Also lots of farmers getting limbs stuck in machinery. Nice.

I remember that one...... Sort of.
    I thought it was some pot-holers in somewhere like South America. One if them got lost and ended up in a cave with just face able to lift out of the water at the top so his nose was touching the roof of the cave.
    It gave me nightmares - just the thought of being trapped there, and the way they reconstructed it was realistic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do! It was presented by Michael Buerk wasn't it?

Also didn't the BBC comedy show Dead Ringers do a spoof of it??
  • JamesC81JamesC81 Posts: 14,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Despite it being a bit dark and somewhat scary it was one of my favorite shows when i was a young teenager. I cant seem to recall many reconstructions off hand but the one i do remember is the kid getting a javelin go right through him!

Oh and just found this funny clip of Michael Beurk :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0QGTqTisSA&feature=related

youtube does have some 999 episodes for those that are nostalgic

for instance here's one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8sZBHSzV-A&feature=related

as a warning there's a mullet on show from 2:12 so those that are alarmed look away
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember it well:D

There was one episode where a teenage boy got a javelin stuck through his neck, and another where a man was electrocuted by a kettle. The reconstructions were always a bit hammy and over acted:D

EDIT: I see I'm not the only one who remembers the javelin episode, how the hell do you even get a javelin stuck through your neck?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,373
    Forum Member
    Anyone remember Operation Coat hanger!
  • Dan100Dan100 Posts: 2,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still have the 999 first aid guide you could send away for.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan100 wrote: »
    I still have the 999 first aid guide you could send away for.

That is probably a collectors item now.
  • davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, but I remember the punk band of the same name - Homicide was a classic in its day.
  • Dunce-2007Dunce-2007 Posts: 6,452
    Forum Member
    Duun!! Dunn!!.... Dunnnnnnnn!!

Theme tune instantly popped into my head.:D
  • JordanDSJordanDS Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember this - I think it got to the stage when I was faced with doing something dangerous I would check around to see if Micheal Buerk and the 999 film crew were lurking around in case it went disastrously wrong!
  • JohnrJohnr Posts: 3,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the bump but my neighbours were on about smoke alarms today and for some random reason I've found myself looking up 999 on YouTube :D

I know the incidents were based on true stories and must have been horrible but Michael Buerk and his commentary makes me laugh

"NEXT WEEK A FATHERS FIRST ATTEMPT AT LIGHTING A BARBEQUE BLOWS UP IN HIS FACE!" :o

But as terrifying as it is you know it is all going to be OK by the end of the show with the air ambulance successfully taking off and the little musical jingle to finish off the credits!
  • exstoker84exstoker84 Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    i do remember two incidents:

One where a boy got a javelin stick through the neck, narrowly missing his larynx, and another one where a mother left her baby unattended in a bath for a few minutes and the baby got one of its fingers firmly jammed somehow.

The scene with the boy with the javelin stuck in his neck was filmed at my school.

Loved the programme but the music put the fear of God into me as a kid :D
  • ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    I was only young the one that stuck in my head was a women whose hair got stuck in a Jacuzzi jet, scared the living daylights out of me and not sure why as my hair is dead short
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    exstoker84 wrote: »
    The scene with the boy with the javelin stuck in his neck was filmed at my school.

Loved the programme but the music put the fear of God into me as a kid :D

I always remember when we did the javelin at school, the teacher warned everyone that if they were hit by a javelin it would have to stay in place until they got to hospital. Everyone was a little bit more careful around them!
  • fredthe3rdfredthe3rd Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting how almost everyone who remembers this fondly were children at the time. They should bring it back on CBBC! Even though it scared us all we couldn't get enough of it!

I remember something about a boy who broke his neck but didn't know he'd broke his neck and went around for a few years with a broken neck "one nudge in the wrong direction could have paralysed him for life. Or killed him." - was that on 999 or something else? I was certainly scared for some time after in case I had a broken neck and didn't realise.

On a similar note I have fond memories of an Australian drama series (I think it was Australian...) about the emergency rescue services which I think went out in a similar time slot - one episode had an emergency worker staying with a child stuck in a swamp I think and holding her head above water as they waited for someone else to go and get help, but then the water was rising... Does water rise in swamps? I'm probably remembering that all wrong...
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fredthe3rd wrote: »
    Interesting how almost everyone who remembers this fondly were children at the time. They should bring it back on CBBC! Even though it scared us all we couldn't get enough of it!

There have been lots of reports over the years of children who have known what to do in an emergency because of having seen this type of programme. Even simple things like dialling 999, the type of homes where children are put in front of the TV most of the day are the ones where the parents never teach the children how to respond to an emergency.
  • simongvs70simongvs70 Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fredthe3rd wrote: »

I remember something about a boy who broke his neck but didn't know he'd broke his neck and went around for a few years with a broken neck "one nudge in the wrong direction could have paralysed him for life. Or killed him." - was that on 999 or something else? I was certainly scared for some time after in case I had a broken neck and didn't realise.

On a similar note I have fond memories of an Australian drama series (I think it was Australian...) about the emergency rescue services which I think went out in a similar time slot - one episode had an emergency worker staying with a child stuck in a swamp I think and holding her head above water as they waited for someone else to go and get help, but then the water was rising... Does water rise in swamps? I'm probably remembering that all wrong...
    The Australian show was probably either Police Rescue (which went out in the 90's I think) or Chopper Squad (that was about another twenty years back, so a 70's series).
    I absolutely loved 999, got the theme tune on my laptop & phone, but I didn't find the show at all scary...:confused:
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the reconstruction where a long haired girl got her hair trapped under the water in a swimming pool and couldn't reach the top for air. It was scary.