Job Interview Help

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have my first job interview Thursday and I am dreading it! I have never had one before and I have no idea what to expect.

I got my current job when I was 16, I knew my boss and started collecting glasses, then doing bar work before becoming supervisor but times are so hard at the minute, I haven't been paid for 3 months so need another job. I have an interview for the checkouts at a large supermarket that is opening and I don't know what to expect. I really need this job, I'm a student so have no money at all and my parents aren't in a strong financial position to help me.

The woman who phoned said I didn't need to bring anything apart from I.D and she mentioned that it's a group interview so I'm assuming it will be quite informal, but I might be wrong.

I don't know what to expect, what sort of things I'll be asked, what do I wear, what sort of things do I need to say etc. I am so nervous, help is much appreciated!

Comments

• TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Try and stay relaxed. Do some research on the company you're applying to, prepare some questions to ask, think about your strengths as an employee and how you have demonstrated them in the past. Diligence, flexibility, reliability, teamwork etc.

And smile, a smile goes a long way in most situations. Best of Luck.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's ASDA then it will be the Magic.
  • HazzaGrazzaHazzaGrazza Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best thing is to be as relaxed as possible. Also just be yourself, and never lie about any experience etc

I recently had 3 interviews and had job offers from 2 of them. The best thing to know is that they have seen your CV so already think you are qualified, so just show them your personality in the interview (but still being professional) and then they will think "this is a great person that I could really work with".

I always make sure I add a bit of "me" in to the mix. They can ask some tough questions, that I will answer professionally but I always like to have a bit of a joke too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was on a forum where someone who used to work for Asda posted about the interview process, I hope it's some help to you.

HE JOB INTERVIEW
    -At ASDA it is in the form of a group selection, with between 6-12 people also being interviewed. One employee will run the session, and there will be observers in the background assessing.

-If run properly, there will be three group tasks. When I ran them, it used to be:

a) speak to your partner, find out as much about them as possible and report back to the group.
    Here, we are looking for you to communicate well with your partner. Be confident, encourage them. When you report back, we like you to be enthusiastic. Nothing ground breaking. Generally, just being a nice person who is confident without being completely dominating in these interviews is more than enough.

b) In a group of four, design a Christmas uniform.
    This is just to see how well you work in a group. Make sure you contribute equally to discussions and don't get left out by louder people. If you notice someone is quiet and you have said your piece, try and bring them into the discussions. "what do you think dave?". No one cares how good the final product is: just play a part and work as a team. Again, be a nice person!

c) In groups of five, using a pack of cards, build a house, and then report back to the group on why they should buy your house.
    The person running the session may give you an object halfway through to put into the house, to throw you. Basically, again, teamwork. Don't be too dominating, but try to take a lead, involve everyone, and don't be shy. Just showing basic things like taking an interest in others views will get you everywhere. When reporting back, do so with a smile, and a bit of personality.

For all the tasks, you will be assessed by people on a basis of 1 to 4, with 4 being good. Generally, a mixture of 2/3s will get you employed.

Don't worry about these, and don't be thinking "oooh I haven't shown this!" Just be yourself, be a nice person who can work in a team, and be confident. That's all you need to do! And be polite.

Contrary to popular opinion, supermarkets and shops do turn people down. We recently turned a lot of people down for being rude. One group would be reporting back on a task, and the others would be sitting their chatting amongst themselves. We rejected them, because what if we're in a team meeting and they're ignoring what is going on? The message won't get across.

With shop interviews, for general assistant work, they're not looking for technical knowledge, or anything advanced. Just that you're a nice person, that you can work in a team, and that you're willing to work hard and learn.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you both! That's helped a lot
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you both! That's helped a lot

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The group interview was a success! Had to meet other people and find out questions about them, then work in groups to sell a product. Had a phonecall yesterday to say I have a one on one interview Monday! Now I'm even more nervous!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The group interview was a success! Had to meet other people and find out questions about them, then work in groups to sell a product. Had a phonecall yesterday to say I have a one on one interview Monday! Now I'm even more nervous!

You should be OK with the one to one. You have passed the biggest hurdle.
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    google the STAR interview technique:)
    and good luck !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good luck for Monday - I'm sure you will be absolutely fine. They will ask you questions like can you think of a time when you offered a customer exceptional service, what would you do if you had an awkward customer, what do you think you could bring to the company, what achievement are you most proud of and why, can you tell me about a time when you worked as part of a team.

You should ask them a couple of questions at the end - ask something like what will my responsibilities be, are there any training course I can do to gain promotion.
  • michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate that question, what do you feel you can bring to this company? I never know what to say :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate that question, what do you feel you can bring to this company? I never know what to say :(

I am hard working, I can think on my feet, I enjoy working with the public, I work well as part of a team but I also have the initiative needed to take on responsibilities working by myself, I am honest and reliable and think my skills and attitude would be an asset to your company.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck! I had a similar interview when I left college and worked as a "technical support adviser" in tescos. Just make sure you keep talking, and listen to what everyone else is saying, nod your head etc

:-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got it!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to be working on the self service checkouts, find out more on Fri! Yay!!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    I got it!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to be working on the self service checkouts, find out more on Fri! Yay!!!!!

Congratulations and good luck!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Congratulations.
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Brilliant news, well done you.
  • LazerliteLazerlite Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's a nice feeling - Congratulations :)

I recently was offered a job after passing a series of assessments - start soon :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congratulations!
  • Yvo-50Yvo-50 Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't contributed to this thread but just wanted to say well done
  • Hildas HairnetHildas Hairnet Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really well done :D

Let's hope that you like hearing the words..... unexpected item in bagging area :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all! Have had really good shifts aswell so it won't interfere with college work at all so I get the best of both worlds
  • TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really delighted for you, have followed this thread and it is a pleasure to see someone doing so well. Good for you!!!
  • FearFactorFearFactor Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done you! :)