Options

Missing episode discovery rumours

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lii wrote: »
    The Star Trek V is considered a logo and is registered.

Of all things, why would someone want to trademark that?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of all things, why would someone want to trademark that?

Correction, the Star Trek inverted V. Star Trek V was dreadful!
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darnall42 wrote: »

Blimey! But considering the source I think its best to hold off on the fireworks for now...
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So who's Stuart Kelly?

Is he someone who might actually know something (or has a friend who knows something) or just someone repeating the same old rumour?
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    So who's Stuart Kelly?

Is he someone who might actually know something (or has a friend who knows something) or just someone repeating the same old rumour?

How can the Dalek episodes- all of them (Masterplan/Power/Evil)- be in Africa when none of them were sold to Africa?

Silly season is back again.

It's odd, because the copy of Tenth Planet 4 that went to Blue Peter could still be out there; Marco Polo, which was sold to 23 countries, has a much higher chance of still existing than the Dalek episodes.

So if you're starting a hoax, I recommend saying one of those 2 are out there, because it's more plausible than saying shows that never went to Africa are in Africa.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NB: according to the book Wiped! by Richard Molesworth, Ethiopia, via the station Ethiopian Television Service, only ever screened An Unearthly Child to The Chase from 1960's Doctor Who, therefore the only missing episodes they could ever have had, (beyond completely improbable things happening) are Marco Polo, Reign of Terror 4 & 5, and The Crusade episodes 2 & 4.
  • Options
    RooksRooks Posts: 9,102
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    How can the Dalek episodes- all of them (Masterplan/Power/Evil)- be in Africa when none of them were sold to Africa?

It's a tabloid article, I suspect they've simplified the story somewhat. I doubt the entire find is from a single country as we know there was a worldwide search going on.

Now then, this is an interesting development. Whilst this article is still in the "a friend of mine told me.." territory, it hopefully makes enough noise to bring this story to a conclusion. Hopefully it'll generate enough buzz to get an outright denial of the find (more definitive than previously) or, hopefully, a proper confirmation. Either way I'm looking forward to the conclusion to this fascinating, but over-running story.
  • Options
    darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    of course the daily mirror article is total rubbish,but it will hopefully bring a proper worded statement one way or the other from the BBC (and not a we cannot confirm statement like last time) to end this silly games of rumours
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This latest 'news' should at least prompt a response from someone out there.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The newspaper review on Sky News has just covered this story but didn't really give much detail. 100 episodes found in Ethiopia. Is it just a distillation of the last year of rumours?
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rumours on GB that the complete enemy of the world DVD is out in November. Explains bringing forward the tenth planet!
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is surely just the rumours of the last few months rehashed by a national paper?
    But would the Mirror actually run this based solely on rumour?
    What am I saying? Of course they would - hard facts are anathema to British tabloids...
  • Options
    AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow! If true, it would also explain why The Moonbase has been pushed back to next year.

But I'm going to be a pessimist until official confirmation.
  • Options
    Richard_WatsonRichard_Watson Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Rumours on GB that the complete enemy of the world DVD is out in November. Explains bringing forward the tenth planet!

Completely impossible as it would have had to go through BBFC certification, which can take months and would appear in their database (it doesn't) and would need to be offered to retailers well in advance so they can plan their orders, which hasn't happened.
  • Options
    ValeronValeron Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    darnall42 wrote: »

Much as I would love this to be true, this looks like typical tabloid guess work and cheap journalism. There is nothing in that article which gives any proof to the Internet rumours. I suspect the BBC won't even respond. Most people who read the article will take it as fact and forget about it when next week's paper has it's next exclusive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    The newspaper review on Sky News has just covered this story but didn't really give much detail. 100 episodes found in Ethiopia. Is it just a distillation of the last year of rumours?

I'm literally bursting at the groin reading this.

100 missing episodes would be virtually all of them wouldn't it?

Must try to contain my excitement or things could get messy...
  • Options
    ValeronValeron Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    :D
    Completely impossible as it would have had to go through BBFC certification, which can take months and would appear in their database (it doesn't) and would need to be offered to retailers well in advance so they can plan their orders, which hasn't happened.

Spot on there Mr Watson. I doubt even the BBC would have that much power over the BBFC.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Valeron wrote: »
    :D

Spot on there Mr Watson. I doubt even the BBC would have that much power over the BBFC.
    Well, some of the guys at Straw-Clutcher Central seem to think that the BBFC must have some option available to keep releases secret. Even though no DVD distributor in history has ever done anything as f***ing batshit crazy as a "secret" release.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems a little unlikely how no episodes were found in years prior to Galaxy 4, Underwater Menace & that Daleks Masterplan episode and then supposedly 100 suddenly turn up.

The odd 1 or 2 episodes id believe or maybe a complete story pushing it but 100?
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    Well, some of the guys at Straw-Clutcher Central seem to think that the BBFC must have some option available to keep releases secret. Even though no DVD distributor in history has ever done anything as f***ing batshit crazy as a "secret" release.

Surely if something were going to be released as imminently as next month there would also have to be various other people and companies involved in the supply chain by now? I mean it's not like the pixies and fairies rock up at night to put these things on shelves for people to buy.

Come to think of it I've seen Scream of the Shalka has made it the shops now but has anyone actually bought it to see if it does indeed contain Scream of the Shalka?
  • Options
    Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »

It's odd, because the copy of Tenth Planet 4 that went to Blue Peter could still be out there; Marco Polo, which was sold to 23 countries, has a much higher chance of still existing than the Dalek episodes.

So if you're starting a hoax, I recommend saying one of those 2 are out there, because it's more plausible than saying shows that never went to Africa are in Africa.

People bootleg stuff don't they? The shows may never have been sold to Africa but that doesn't mean there are none there does it? People could have made recordings and distributed them there anyway. Not saying they did but it could be a possibility.
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a myth about blue peter ever haviing tenth planet 4. The episode they lost was daleks masterplan part 4 the traitors.
  • Options
    Richard_WatsonRichard_Watson Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    People bootleg stuff don't they? The shows may never have been sold to Africa but that doesn't mean there are none there does it? People could have made recordings and distributed them there anyway.

Who exacty in the 1960's would have been doing that then? And what equipment would they have been using? And how would thry have got access to the epidodes in the first place to copy them?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    I dont believe that they have found the 106 missing episodes of Doctor Who in Ethiopa. All them clips of those starving & malnourished Ethiopians and not once did you see them sat round the telly watching The Evil Of The Daleks. Its a load of rubbish.