Options

'Revenge of the Egghead'. BBC2, 18.00

Comments

• Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    It does if you switch off because of him.
    I watched this for the first (and last) time last night. The show is so obviously trying to rip off The Chase - but they don't realise that what makes The Chase so popular (although maybe that show too is starting to run its course) is that the Chasers and the host are likeable. With the exception of Judith and Barry - none of the Eggheads are very likeable ... and as for the host!!!!
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I watched this for the first (and last) time last night. The show is so obviously trying to rip off The Chase - but they don't realise that what makes The Chase so popular (although maybe that show too is starting to run its course) is that the Chasers and the host are likeable. With the exception of Judith and Barry - none of the Eggheads are very likeable ... and as for the host!!!!

Barry?!?! Likeable?! In what parallel universe would that be? I find him and his swiveling eyes utterly repellent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Judith maybe but Chris is extremely knowledgeable.

What a shame he never gets the chance to show it. Even when he's not chosen for Sport, Music or TV he usually gets beaten.
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Barry?!?! Likeable?! In what parallel universe would that be? I find him and his swiveling eyes utterly repellent.
    From the set of Eggheads - he is along with Judith the most likeable - he doesn't have that nasty, look-down-their nose look that Daphne (makes me shudder), CJ and Chris have whenever someone on the other side gets a question wrong.

He may not be someone I'd choose to spend time stuck in a lift with - but of that bunch - he's one of the better ones.

Back to last night's show though - 8 out of the 10 questions CJ had were piss-easy! No wonder the Eggheads nearly always won.
  • Options
    R VR V Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    OK...I'm holding my hands up. I've recorded an episode of this bilge back in January (yet to be shown). Here's my two pennorth...

CJ's performance is an act and he really made an effort to come and chat with us in the green room afterwards. Thoroughly likeable chap actually. Jeremy Vine spoke to no one before or after and he's very tall.

The format of the quiz itself? Oh dear....
    1. Jeremy Vine should be replaced with Tim Vine
    2. It's a Chase rip off
    3. The prize money is rubbish
    4. CJ's final round questions are easier.
    5. The questions we received were either ridiculously hard or ridiculously easy. There seemed to be no middle ground. Example....my first question was about the ex president of Ukraine (which was not in the news at the time) and my second question was what does TOWIE stand for (in TV terms).

I ended up in the final with another chap and a possible share of £2000. We managed to get 3 before losing our 3 lives remaining. I asked if anyone had won yet and was assurred that they had, but I bet there's not many.

I'm putting that one down to experience and (unlike my Tipping Point & Chase appearances) will not be informing anyone when I know the broadcast date.
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,644
    Forum Member
    R V wrote: »
    I ended up in the final with another chap and a possible share of £2000. We managed to get 3 before losing our 3 lives remaining. I asked if anyone had won yet and was assurred that they had, but I bet there's not many.

Naughty :p Didn't you get the usual request not to post advance spoilers on social media...? ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    davads wrote: »
    Naughty :p Didn't you get the usual request not to post advance spoilers on social media...? ;-)

I've hardly posted my name and broadcast date....:p
  • Options
    MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Chris and Kevin are okay I think and the new one is okay although a bit dull compared to CJ.

This programme though, there's way too much CJ and he's much too obnoxious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R V wrote: »
    The format of the quiz itself? Oh dear....
    1. Jeremy Vine should be replaced with Tim Vine

Have you been watching Whittle on Challenge? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sure I've seen that first contestant with the long curly hair on another quiz recently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Moleskin wrote: »
    Have you been watching Whittle on Challenge? :D

I have actually :-)
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    Sure I've seen that first contestant with the long curly hair on another quiz recently.

He's been on The Chase. His episode was repeated a couple of weeks ago. He said Coronation Street was set on Southfork Ranch.
  • Options
    DONTBANMEDONTBANME Posts: 495
    Forum Member

Wouldn't surprise me - he's the perfect contestant, absolutely useless and in fits of laughter at his stupid answers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I loved Whittle. I've been watching it on Challenge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DONTBANME wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me - he's the perfect contestant, absolutely useless and in fits of laughter at his stupid answers.

:D He was a total div.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was the 'Eroica' symphony that Beethoven dedicated to Napoleon, not 'Fidelio'...
  • Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    CJ can't even bring himself to say well done to the winning team.
  • Options
    katherine500000katherine500000 Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The high camp act becomes tedious very quickly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was the 'Eroica' symphony that Beethoven dedicated to Napoleon, not 'Fidelio'...

Wiki says you're right.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This current bunch are some of the dimmest folk I've ever seen on a quiz show.
    It's bassicaly a team of averages quizzers and below average quizzers versus an above average quizzer
    ArtemsGirl wrote: »
    CJ is annoying!!! I cannot watch him without wanting to punch that smug look off his face!
    WE may see this on an out takes show in the near future
    Chris knows stuff about railways...

On history, geography, food and drink, music, sport (lol), he knows very little in comparison with the others.

He's the weakest Egghead ever.
    Wrong. Chris is good on history, geography, classic music, politics,& food & drink . He is Good on films and tv as long as it isn't current.
    DONTBANME wrote: »

Good summary. I reckon that CJ handpicked him.
  • Options
    Tarriq IbrahimTarriq Ibrahim Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    Please excuse my ignorance but I've turned this on three times in the past week or so and CJ has been the Egghead every time, is he the only one being used?
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please excuse my ignorance but I've turned this on three times in the past week or so and CJ has been the Egghead every time, is he the only one being used?

Yes he is :(
  • Options
    Tarriq IbrahimTarriq Ibrahim Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    Why would you revolve a whole show around somebody that nobody likes ha?
  • Options
    snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJ is probably the best egghead for this show given his ascerbic nature which of course he's playing up for the show. Some people don't seem to get this.

I don't see why the eggheads need to be particularly likeable which I would think as as being trying. Watch Celebrity Pointless for classic examples of people trying to be likeable and ending up being very annoying.
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe Jeremy Vine thought that The Phillippenes is in South America.:o