Options

13 year old niece suddenly barely talks to me

CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
Forum Member
So yeah, figured I'd put this one out there to get some views.

I have a niece who lives the other end of the country so I only see her every few months, generally at family occasions so never just the 2 of us. But ever since she's been small we've been really close, she would always want to spend time with me whenever we saw each other and lots of other people would always comment on how I was her favourite uncle. And I felt the same, I love her loads.

But this all changed almost overnight when she hit 13, about 9 months ago. Now whenever I see her she barely even acknowledges me, rarely speaks to me. I try to make an effort to talk to her but it's incredibly hard work and I never seem to be able to manage to get more than a few words out of her.

Now I know this is largely down to the changes she's going through in the last year or so and she's changed with everyone, not just me - I've talked to her mum about it and it seems she's moody and often rude with everyone since becoming a teenager. Others have said that she will come back around given time. But I feel as I want to try to support her and let her know I'm there for her still, that I'll always be on her side but she just won't let me in at all!

I do keep I'm touch with her between visits via texts and the occasional postcard/card etc but whereas previously she would always reply to texts and seemed excited to get stuff, now if she replies at all it will be a one word response.

So It's difficult to do much more when I only see her every few months and then it's generally just for a weekend with lots of other family around but any suggestions from others who might have experienced similar situations would be welcomed.

Or maybe I just need to wait this one out as she probably will come around in time?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    She's a teenager - you aren't cool anymore.
  • Options
    austino6austino6 Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Happening to me as well i love her that's all she needs to know!
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coen wrote: »
    But I feel as I want to try to support her and let her know I'm there for her still, that I'll always be on her side but she just won't let me in at all!
    I think that is all you can do. Kids do change a lot in teenage years, try not to take it personally!
    "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens."
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Just keep in touch as you have been doing. It may be that she won't be responsive all the time but eventually she will come out of it. If tgere's anything deeper behind it (being bulied, just basically feeling 'meh' or a myriad of other things) then knowing that you are still there to talk to would be very important.
    So just hang on in there! :)
  • Options
    hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just let her know that you are there for her if she needs you, and then in 5years time you will reconnect, hopefully for life.

That's what teenagers do, don't be too upset, it will improve in time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    I think that is all you can do. Kids do change a lot in teenage years, try not to take it personally!
    "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens."

Aye cheers, definitely not taking it personally (any more) but I guess all I can do is continue to remind her I'm around (without overdoing it or being pushy)

Thanks to others for the responses as well
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teenager - it´s not you.

Give her the space she wants and she will come back when she´s ready. xx
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know a teen boy who suddenly stopped talking to his mum at 13 so i wouldn't worry too much. it's a teen thing lol :D
  • Options
    PatchbunclePatchbuncle Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As others have said; it goes with the hormonal territory. And, if someone has any tips for dealing with, it without snapping once in a while, I am all ears.

She'll get through it OP and she'll appreciate your efforts. I have daughter of a similar age and her moods change in an instant, trick is not to take it personally, not easy.
  • Options
    Trudi MonkTrudi Monk Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My twelve year old nephew is the same. Doesn't bother me but it used to upset my Dad, (his Grandad) a great deal. However even my Dad is used to it now.
  • Options
    station31station31 Posts: 3,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand how you feel, not being the cool uncle, but rest assured when the ***** hits the fan they'll talk

I've sat with one of mine till 4 in the morning talking over stuff she cant talk to parents about.

They know you care, they just don't voice it
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    artnada wrote: »

:D

That's the exact sketch that came into my head when I read the OP!
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,932
    Forum Member
    I can see what everyone is saying about the teenager thing - but there are still large variations as to *how* rude they can be. Plenty of teenagers are still able to make an effort with relatives even if their heart's not totally in it.

I think, at times, the "being a teenager" thing is used a bit too much as a catch-all excuse. I've seen too many cases of polite, nice teens for them all to be lumped in together like that.

I wouldn't go as far as saying it's the parents who should do more to get them into shape - since some teens have a particular mix of personality traits that make it hugely difficult compared to other teens - but there's always room for improvement, especially with a stroppy 13/14 year old. ;-)
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    station31 wrote: »
    I understand how you feel, not being the cool uncle, but rest assured when the ***** hits the fan they'll talk

I've sat with one of mine till 4 in the morning talking over stuff she cant talk to parents about.

They know you care, they just don't voice it

So true.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from it being a standard teen thing, girls at that age tend to have a heightened awareness of their body/sexuality - which can lead them to feeling a bit strange about relationships with male relatives. Basically the whole thing has to be renegotiated in their heads. In the meantime it would be unwise to push it. Sorry - it's a waiting game OP!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi OP here again and thanks again for all the responses.
    Apart from it being a standard teen thing, girls at that age tend to have a heightened awareness of their body/sexuality - which can lead them to feeling a bit strange about relationships with male relatives. Basically the whole thing has to be renegotiated in their heads. In the meantime it would be unwise to push it. Sorry - it's a waiting game OP!

This is something that's occurred to me so it's good to hear in a way - I've wondered whether because we has such a close relationship previously that she's maybe finding it particularly hard to deal with the relationship with me since the hormones hit.

But for now I will just wait it out!