Options

Do you think Oprah Winfrey was a victim of racism?

CigaretteSmokerCigaretteSmoker Posts: 492
Forum Member
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2392778/Oprah-Winfrey-insists-WAS-victim-racism-Swiss-store-nearly-called-Jennifer-Aniston-tell-her.html

Having just read an article about Winfrey being refused to look at a bag in an expensive Zurich store, I find it difficult to see how it was anything other than racism.

Sadly many continental Europeans, and especially in Switzerland associate black people with being petty criminals and poor.

It is likely that if the assistant had never heard of Winfrey and didn't recognise her as being famous, then she assumed that she was either going to steal the bag or was setting it up for someone else to steal it.

Most of the comments are critical of her and seem to think she is just being an arrogant loudmouth, but to be honest I see her point.

The shop had no reason to refuse her to see the bag other than because they discriminated against her on the basis of her skin colour. I think it's rather sad that such xenophobic attitudes still exist in 21st century Switzerland.

Comments

• Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where've you been for the past few days? :D
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1871267
  • Options
    BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Not being there, its hard to say, but OW has a reputation of getting miffed at any disturbances in their reality, like most divas I might add.
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't recognise OW if I saw her. Every time I see her on TV she's a different size. I only know because her name is along the bottom the picture.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oprah was just mad she wasn't treated like Her Royal O-ness because the shop employee didn't recognize her
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,060
    Forum Member
    Apparently Oprah has pulled this European shop racism stunt before

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/23/AR2005062302086.html
  • Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello!

I think it is racism, clearly. Now lets move on.:)
  • Options
    FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't recognise OW if I saw her. Every time I see her on TV she's a different size. I only know because her name is along the bottom the picture.

This!

Or her grasp of the French language wasn't up to standard...:rolleyes: :p
  • Options
    JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's her word against the assistant's, so who knows? She was probably more a victim of snobbery than anything else.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    Don't care anymore. Sick of the story. She's a billionaire, she'll always have the last laugh.
  • Options
    Penfolds_placePenfolds_place Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could well be racism who knows. I think I am less likely to believe her since she accused another shop in Paris of racism just because they wouldn't let her in when the shop was shut.
  • Options
    rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    Of course it was racist. Oprah Winfrey said it was so it must be true.
  • Options
    imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    Apparently Oprah has pulled this European shop racism stunt before

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/23/AR2005062302086.html

Sorry,but I saw a link in the other thread about Oprah. Where in this link does Oprah speak about racism;in fact there are no quotes from Oprah whatsoever.
  • Options
    dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless the shop assistant used an inflammatory ethnic slur against her then NO She wasn't a victim of racism, She was probably just pissed off at not being recognised.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised is she had uttered " Don't you know who i am " . Mountain out of a mole hill comes to mind, seems up herself by all accounts.
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless the shop assistant used an inflammatory ethnic slur against her then NO She wasn't a victim of racism, She was probably just pissed off at not being recognised.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised is she had uttered " Don't you know who i am " . Mountain out of a mole hill comes to mind, seems up herself by all accounts.

There's clearly more to racism then that.

I remember years back in a part of Wales near Snowden being told they didn't serve my sort. That wasn't an ethnic slur, and to be honest, they weren't rude either, but it was still racism.

It's hard to know what to think without knowing everything, but it everything happened exactly as Oprah said, then I'd believe there was an element of racism.

However, my dad always said there's three sides to every story. In his case, Oprah's side, the assistants side, and then the truth.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't know if she was as I wasn't there. Therefore it is one word against another and I don't care.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it was anyone else they would say they were the victim of a bit of a snobbish shopkeep, but with Oprah her ego is so large it just has to be racism
  • Options
    imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member

So you think that if there is no name calling,then it's not racism?

Never Nude wrote: »
    If it was anyone else they would say they were the victim of a bit of a snobbish shopkeep, but with Oprah her ego is so large it just has to be racism

I used to watch her show when they showed it over here,and apart from the hour or so,I can honestly say I know little about her"ego".what is she like?
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, just snobbery. I once go the evil eye from some bint in a Givenchy concession who clearly thought I couldn't afford to shop there.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Knowing that white people have been treated the same way in such stores I find it hard to say it was racism without having witnessed it personally , I would say knowing the type of store it is equally possible she was the victim of an arrogant , snotty and snobby employee who behaves like that whatever your colour.
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's no evidence that it's racism. Just because she's black doesn't mean it was racist.

Reading the statement given by the employee, tbh it sounds like she couldn't be bothered to climb up and get the bag down from a high shelf when she thought there were plenty of adequate bags within reach.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Never Nude wrote: »

^ This.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snobbery? Certainly. Racism? No, but of course because Oprah said it...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    AliU2maniacAliU2maniac Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winfrey has a film to promote :rolleyes:
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm white, I don't look as though I have a lot of money (mainly because I don't), I would probably be treated in much the same way. Snobbery - yes, terrible customer service - yes, racism - we'll never know.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    This isn't just racism it's SUPER MEGA ULTRA RACISM.