[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
Forum Member
New song from Lana Del Ray

Listen: Lana Del Rey – Brooklyn Baby

Comments

• Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Is this from Ultraviolence? It sounds brilliant!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually liking all of the songs from Ultraviolence so far. Ultraviolence still remains my favourite track out of the four. Brooklyn Baby is amazing also and I really love the chorus. The guy singing with Lana at the last 30 seconds was a bit of a WTF though, but still works in a way.
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Lol. The bloke singing at the end is Lana's fiancé Barrie James. He apparently co-wrote the song with Lana.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've tried to avoid all leaks but I had to listen to this. OMG amazing. She is growing so much as an artist. I cannot wait for this album.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Lol. The bloke singing at the end is Lana's fiancé Barrie James. He apparently co-wrote the song with Lana.

Wow! The chemistry between the two works really well on that part. It's a bit weird but in a very good and effective way.

I'm excited for the album now and especially the track "F&*ked My Way Up To The Top" :D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He also sung on Summer Wine with her. They really sound great together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OEron4rXfk
  • Options
    DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And as we all know Barrie was in Kassidy before leaving to live with Lana in LA:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmSt4xHUSAU&feature=kp

I always felt sorry a bit for Kassidy. I genuinely thought they were a rather good acoustic band, but they seem to have been unlucky enough to have being born in an era where Radio only wants to play electronic music. The NME and the rest of the indie press decided to put their most venomous reviewing hats on and give them a rather undue kicking too when reviewing them. All that seems to have stopped them going further.

Shows what a Cruel World (forgive the Lana song based pun) the music biz is really. Personally I'm getting increasingly sick of the current indie world (be that critics or "fans") beyond snobbish attitude to music. Everything is "shit" to these people. The NME aren't even the worst ones at all, some of the online blogs are horrific.

Not only have they marginalised the likes of Kassidy and in Lana's case tried to wipe her out doing every underhand trick they could to discredit her (99.9% of it Bullsh*t), but they've wiped out loads of other perfectly decent bands and musicians because they aren't pretentious enough for them.

If any of the indie critics darling bands were actual good you might understand this, but they are mostly terrible. I cannot understand the critics reasoning at all these days. If great bands like The Beatles, Stones, Sex Pistols, Clash, REM, Stone Roses, Nirvana, Blur, Oasis, etc, etc came out in the current music scene they would no doubt "sh*t" too.

Thank-god Lana managed to survive all that.

OK explosive rant mode off!
  • Options
    Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    love it... the preorder dl has arrived...

it reminds me of some of my fave unreleased tracks .... she is so awesome... and the duet at the end is such a surprise move...
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What?! Kassidy have split up?!!:(
    I saw them supporting Lana at her Dublin gig last year and thought they were really good...I even downloaded a few of their songs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Currently #1 on iTunes in over 40 countries. Crazy.
  • Options
    spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice song. The chorus reminds me of another song of hers though, but can't think which.

I read that the song Ultraviolence is available to download from itunes but is that just US itunes? I have an itunes UK account but it's not available on there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spaceygal wrote: »
    Nice song. The chorus reminds me of another song of hers though, but can't think which.

I read that the song Ultraviolence is available to download from itunes but is that just US itunes? I have an itunes UK account but it's not available on there.

The verse of Summertime Sadness.

Yes, it should be available to download if you look at the standard edition of Ultraviolence on iTunes:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    And as we all know Barrie was in Kassidy before leaving to live with Lana in LA:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmSt4xHUSAU&feature=kp

I always felt sorry a bit for Kassidy. I genuinely thought they were a rather good acoustic band, but they seem to have been unlucky enough to have being born in an era where Radio only wants to play electronic music. The NME and the rest of the indie press decided to put their most venomous reviewing hats on and give them a rather undue kicking too when reviewing them. All that seems to have stopped them going further.

Shows what a Cruel World (forgive the Lana song based pun) the music biz is really. Personally I'm getting increasingly sick of the current indie world (be that critics or "fans") beyond snobbish attitude to music. Everything is "shit" to these people. The NME aren't even the worst ones at all, some of the online blogs are horrific.

Not only have they marginalised the likes of Kassidy and in Lana's case tried to wipe her out doing every underhand trick they could to discredit her (99.9% of it Bullsh*t), but they've wiped out loads of other perfectly decent bands and musicians because they aren't pretentious enough for them.

If any of the indie critics darling bands were actual good you might understand this, but they are mostly terrible. I cannot understand the critics reasoning at all these days. If great bands like The Beatles, Stones, Sex Pistols, Clash, REM, Stone Roses, Nirvana, Blur, Oasis, etc, etc came out in the current music scene they would no doubt "sh*t" too.

Thank-god Lana managed to survive all that.

OK explosive rant mode off!

Classic quote from Barrie:
    "I get her during the week and Axl Rose gets her at the weekend."
  • Options
    Daily DreamsDaily Dreams Posts: 1,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just gave this a listen and loved it :cool: probably my favourite song from Ultraviolence we've heard so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re: Kassidy, I believe the other three lads are still going as Kassidy but Barrie has left the building, so to speak. Seems like an amicable split from what I can tell. I dunno he might have fancied his chances going solo, but I suspect as much as anything else he realised if he didn't get over to LA to live with Lana she'd be going off with Axl Rose for more than just the weekend "timeshare" agreement! Barrie now operates under the name of NiGHTMARE BOY:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlKCWx_YJj8

Sounds and looks very Lana doesn't it? She's obviously had a massive effect on him.

Back to Lana: Glad people are loving Brooklyn Baby though, its a cracking song. With each tune you hear Ultra gets better and better.
  • Options
    pinkitspinkits Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    Fantastic,best so far for me.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    spaceygal wrote: »

It's not available here in Ireland either. I just checked. Have you checked the US store just to see if it's available there?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not available here in Ireland either. I just checked. Have you checked the US store just to see if it's available there?

It is as I downloaded it the other night:confused:
  • Options
    spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, the US itunes has Ultraviolence to download but I don't have a US account so can't get it from there anyway. But no, I just checked again and the UK itunes only has Shades Of Cool, Brooklyn Baby and West Coast to download, from both the standard and deluxe edition versions. Weird, isn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tis' weird how different tracks are available in different countries isn't it? Maybe the attitude in the UK is they don't want to officially release the song Ultravoilence as an incentive for people to buy the album. Or it might be earmarked as a future single. Who knows?

And was just looking back at my Kassidy comment and I realise it makes it sound like Lana is Yoko Ono(:D:blush:) splitting them up, and there's no basis to think that of course. She was almost like there unofficial promoter really and got their name out there in so many ways as well as the support slot on her tour. Lets face it most people discovered them through her. In her own words: "I love that band." So you'd have to say they did pretty well knowing her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Love this! When she sings 'well my boyfriends in a band' it reminds me of Summertime Sadness 'I've got my red dress on tonight'..
  • Options
    LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    When she says "my boyfriend's pretty cool, but he's not as cool as me" it reminds me of "he said to be cool but...im already the coolest" in National Anthem :D.

I love it when artists leave references to their other songs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This song was going to be a collab with Lou Reed. Lana apparently took the red eye to NY to meet him and got there at 7 AM. Tragically, Reed died 2 hours later, so they never actually met.

LOL at Barrie having to sing the line ' My boyfriend's really cool but he's not as cool as me' :D