Options

Why do people dislike Rachel Rice so much?

george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
Forum Member
Whenever people are talking about past winners (or indeed past Housemates generally) that they hated, Rachel Rice from Series 9 seems to come up a great deal. Why is this? I loved Rachel, thought she was a really nice girl and was so happy she won. Series 9 was the first series I properly followed, Rachel was my favourite right from the start and since then, it has never again happened that I have supported one person right the way through and they have ended up winning.

Why did people seem to dislike her so much? She wasn't bitchy or unpleasant, would be a great person to share a house with in my opinion.

Comments

• Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I don't know she is my favourite female HM of all time and joint 2nd fave HM full stop

I have only voted 3 times in BB history for the winner and she was one of them
  • Options
    ChipPaperChipPaper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rachel Rice is one of my favourite HMs ever, and easily one of the best winners ever. Thoroughly deserving imo, and I get that she wasn't a 'huge character' (code for in-your-face, obnoxious camera-hogger), but there really is nothing hateable about her. When Davina announced her as the winner I yelped. I was sure it would be Mikey (who did even less than Rachel in that house) and I'm glad she won.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    ChipPaper wrote: »
    Rachel Rice is one of my favourite HMs ever, and easily one of the best winners ever. Thoroughly deserving imo, and I get that she wasn't a 'huge character' (code for in-your-face, obnoxious camera-hogger), but there really is nothing hateable about her. When Davina announced her as the winner I yelped. I was sure it would be Mikey (who did even less than Rachel in that house) and I'm glad she won.

And Davina couldn't hide the fact she just how much she hated the fact that Rachel won same as she couldn't hide how much she hated that her faves Luke and Bex were evicted

That reaction put me off so much I didn't watch at all the next year
  • Options
    planetmattplanetmatt Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winning by being the last person standing isn't really winning. It's like getting a Victory Cross for bravery when you just hid in a foxhole for the entire battle.
  • Options
    Scout66Scout66 Posts: 5,576
    Forum Member
    She did / does seem like a nice girl and would probably be lovely to share living quarters with. However she made boring TV and her fence sitting was just ridiculous. She put me over the edge when one night on the live feed she wouldn't say Sadam Hussein was a bad man since she had never met him in person. Still I'm glad she won instead of that awful Mikey and Rex shot himself in the foot when his dreadful GF went in.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She's the 3rd favourite housemate of all time on this forum. Hardly disliked.
  • Options
    Percy SugdenPercy Sugden Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    Rachel was a lovely lass but very dull in the house and when people remember BB9 it's mainly for Rex and Bex and Luke and Kat. It happens a lot though that the dullest win, Anthony from BB6 and Cameron BB4 come to mind because they are the least offensive. Winning doesn't mean much when it comes to being remembered. Let's face it, whether you hate her or love her Helen is the one person people will remember from this series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Scout66 wrote: »
    She did / does seem like a nice girl and would probably be lovely to share living quarters with. However she made boring TV and her fence sitting was just ridiculous. She put me over the edge when one night on the live feed she wouldn't say Sadam Hussein was a bad man since she had never met him in person. Still I'm glad she won instead of that awful Mikey and Rex shot himself in the foot when his dreadful GF went in.

I don't remember that, but I respect that. I like it that she doesn't judge people whom she doesn't know personally.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I don't dislike her but I struggle to think of a more overrated HM.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    planetmatt wrote: »
    Winning by being the last person standing isn't really winning. It's like getting a Victory Cross for bravery when you just hid in a foxhole for the entire battle.

She didn't exactly float under the radar to the final though. She faced eviction twice (three times if you count the pre-final double eviction) and survived, and received the third highest amount of nominations for the whole series, after Rex and Mohamed. She was the last person standing because a large percentage of the viewers wanted her to win.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't remember that, but I respect that. I like it that she doesn't judge people whom she doesn't know personally.

I've never met Rolf Harris but he wouldn't be on speed dial if I needed a baby sitter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never met Rolf Harris but he wouldn't be on speed dial if I needed a baby sitter.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member

Who says that Saddam Hussein would be on Rachel's?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who says that Saddam Hussein would be on Rachel's?

My point is that you don't need to meet everyone before forming an opinion. You can trust the opinions of those who have, or even the courts that prosecuted them for peado-fiddling or war crimes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My point is that you don't need to meet everyone before forming an opinion. You can trust the opinions of those who have, or even the courts that prosecuted them for peado-fiddling or war crimes.

I have no doubt that Rachel has that in her head, but I respect the fact that she is thoroughly non-judgemental. I'm not at all like that myself, but think it's an admirable quality.
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Rachel Rice is my No.1 hm of all time. Lovely lady, she didn't do it for the fame, she just wanted the experience. Oh, they were the good old days.
  • Options
    scottishmagscottishmag Posts: 3,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am at the moment re watching BB9 on youtube, and I am liking rachel and Kat the most, Rex I feel should have won it,

I am hating Rebecca the chavvy disrespectful moron
  • Options
    ABCZYXABCZYX Posts: 12,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scout66 wrote: »

It's not as if she said that she agreed with the stuff that he had done. In fact, she said she didn't agree with the things he had done.

There was a recent thread on here that asked people to make a list of HMs they "genuinely detested". Someone mentioned Rachel and when I asked why, they said this: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=73304996&postcount=56

To which I said: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=73305536&postcount=59
  • Options
    threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had her as a mid to top favourite HM but didn't think she deserved to win as she was too neutral and too nice at times, just a girl next door with no real personality.

Funnily enough I was watching a lot of clips back from BB9 a couple of weeks back and to be fair, in hindsight I completely understand how she won against her fellow HMs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    ive met rachel, and she is the sweetest person you can imagine. she said she watched BB from time to time. if you find fault with rachel for being so nice the fault is with you im afraid.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andsw161 wrote: »
    ive met rachel, and she is the sweetest person you can imagine. she said she watched BB from time to time. if you find fault with rachel for being so nice the fault is with you im afraid.

Sorry but that's plain ridiculous.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But she was nothing of the kind. She had a particularly difficult final line-up, and won by earning strong loyalty from a lot of viewers. Compare her final week challenge with the way Josie, say, or Aaron had no real competitors by the end.

I often think BB housemates are deliberately selected to be childish and immature, even when I like them. People who can be relied on to strop and whine and combust provide drama, which more grown-up people wouldn't. Rachel slipped through the net. Resilient, mature, forgiving and thoughtful, she appealed to those who like to see likeable people win, and not to those who like to see loud, attention-seeking drama queens win.
  • Options
    KDDS07KDDS07 Posts: 5,861
    Forum Member
    I am at the moment re watching BB9 on youtube, and I am liking rachel and Kat the most, Rex I feel should have won it,

I am hating Rebecca the chavvy disrespectful moron

I agree Rex should have won. He was doing really well until BB screwed him over by putting his crazy girlfriend into the BB house. That totally threw him off his game and he never recovered. Rachel only got any attention because Rex kept trying to draw her out and tried to get her to react to something--anything--which she never would do. A lot of forum mates thought Rex was bullying Rachel but I didn't see it that way at all. Rex was trying to get her to show some of her real self. I think he actually really liked her. Anyway, no one would have even known Rachel was in the house if it wasn't for Rex goading her to come out of her shell. Rachel was no match for Rex, though---steally boring to the end--Rex couldn't get her to flinch--and that's why she won IMVHO. Picture Kimbot winning. Not pretty. :D
  • Options
    threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andsw161 wrote: »

People are commenting in relation to Rachel as a HM, not as a neighbour, saying she is too nice and nothing more than that in an entertainment show has no reflection on a viewer whatsoever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rachel Rice is my No.1 hm of all time. Lovely lady, she didn't do it for the fame, she just wanted the experience. Oh, they were the good old days.

There are still people like that. I don't think you really can enter Big Brother for fame these days, as it gets considerably fewer ratings than it used to.