Eastenders Conventions

EveT1991EveT1991 Posts: 12,316
Forum Member
✭✭
Should Eastenders do Conventions so fans can meet the cast they want to meet?

Should Eastenders do Conventions for Fans? 62 votes

Yes
29%
sajanImOnlyWee[Deleted User]kitkat1971pothuthiccobwebsoupEveT1991BenllechHyper_Intakedaynajohn[Deleted User][Deleted User]issy17Cal_Scream2[Deleted User][Deleted User]writer_composerEmma_Henvey 18 votes
No
70%
cjdoyledavadsJohn Doughvaldmossy2103Bonesy84olivejDigital SidAvalancheRiDsTeRBertypopIgguldenerinccEittol96AndybearSierra-OscarYoshi Fanhils0912viertedoormouse1 44 votes

Comments

• EveT1991EveT1991 Posts: 12,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Poll Added soon
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    No, I'd rather they concentrate on making quality drama rather than mess about wasting resources on 'conventions'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    J-B wrote: »
    No, I'd rather they concentrate on making quality drama rather than mess about wasting resources on 'conventions'.

But how are fans suppose to meet the cast they want to meet? Go to Elstree ect and wait outside where they film or go to Borehamwood Shopping park and hope to meet a few cast shopping? Im sure the cast who are not filming could do a Convention and sign autographs for the fans and have photos took with the fans. In America they do conventions so people can meet the famous people they want to meet.
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,295
    Forum Member
    No
    But how are fans suppose to meet the cast they want to meet? Go to Elstree ect and wait outside where they film or go to Borehamwood Shopping park and hope to meet a few cast shopping? Im sure the cast who are not filming could do a Convention and sign autographs for the fans and have photos took with the fans. In America they do conventions so people can meet the famous people they want to meet.

The cast should be actors and not celebrities IMO.
  • BabanBaban Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Maybe the cast don't want people parading round them like they're A list celebs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »

This. EastEnders is a drama series, not a movie.
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    No

This.

Actors are people doing a job, the same as everyone else. The last thing they often want after leaving a studio or a stage door is hordes of fans wanting photos and autographs, when all the poor sods want to do is go home to their families and have a meal at the end of a long, tiring day.

Actors are entitled to free time too - and once they leave their place of work, they are in their own time, not the BBC's. or the production company.

Friends of mine in the WE have missed their trains home due to gaggles of autograph hunters haunting the stage door. Most are too nice to refuse, but often it is the same old obsessives waiting night after night. For goodness sake, give them some space.

And expecting them to give up their weekends to attend fan conventions is completely unreasonable IMO. They work hard enough.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    J-B wrote: »
    Baban wrote: »
    Maybe the cast don't want people parading round them like they're A list celebs.
    Ross1998 wrote: »

Agreed 100%.
  • mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    No
    I'm not interested personally but it's not totally outrageous for people to give a little bit back to fans and viewers who make them what they are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    mo mouse wrote: »
    I'm not interested personally but it's not totally outrageous for people to give a little bit back to fans and viewers who make them what they are.

I agree with this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    doormouse1 wrote: »
    This.

Actors are people doing a job, the same as everyone else. The last thing they often want after leaving a studio or a stage door is hordes of fans wanting photos and autographs, when all the poor sods want to do is go home to their families and have a meal at the end of a long, tiring day.

Actors are entitled to free time too - and once they leave their place of work, they are in their own time, not the BBC's. or the production company.

Friends of mine in the WE have missed their trains home due to gaggles of autograph hunters haunting the stage door. Most are too nice to refuse, but often it is the same old obsessives waiting night after night. For goodness sake, give them some space.

And expecting them to give up their weekends to attend fan conventions is completely unreasonable IMO. They work hard enough.

Are you saying that actors and actresses shouldn't stop for fans and that fans shouldn't wait outside Elstree? I know that Danny Dyer doesn't mind stopping for fans and lots of fans on Twitter have said Natalie Cassidy said she doesn't mind stopping and I know that Shona McGarty and Jacqueline Jossa and Ricky Norwood don't mind stopping for fans even DTC stopped for fans 4 years ago. If the cast had a problem with stopping for fans then they would have said years ago.
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    mo mouse wrote: »

That's what autograph cards are for, they also sometimes write letters to fans, they also do backstage videos, they do interviews, most take photos with fans when stopped on the streets!

What more do fans want? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Ross1998 wrote: »

But how are fans suppose to meet the actor and actresses they want to meet? If any of you were EP would you let me meet the cast its not fair because I want to meet lots of the cast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    People wait outside Coronation Street and Emmerdale and the cast of Coronation Street and Emmerdale don't mind. If the cast of each soap really mind then they would have said years ago. Ricky Norwood didn't mind stopping for the fans https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br1GBS27wBw
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    benbenalen wrote: »
    That's what autograph cards are for, they also sometimes write letters to fans, they also do backstage videos, they do interviews!

What more do fans want? :D

I want to meet Jo Joyner and Jake Wood and Jacqueline Jossa, Shona McGarty, Kellie Bright, Danny Dyer, Maddy Hill, Sam Strike, Lorna Fitzgerald and Jamie Borthwick and a few other cast I need to get my cast card s signed one way or another.
    like this girl has and the cast seem happy to stop for her
    http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Famysoapmania.weebly.com%2F&ei=_kTBU66jEs3FPY-cgZAD&usg=AFQjCNGX9MT5BCZTwYxCtfu24PWaBsAvHQ
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,295
    Forum Member
    No
    Are you saying that actors and actresses shouldn't stop for fans and that fans shouldn't wait outside Elstree? I know that Danny Dyer doesn't mind stopping for fans and lots of fans on Twitter have said Natalie Cassidy said she doesn't mind stopping and I know that Shona McGarty and Jacqueline Jossa and Ricky Norwood don't mind stopping for fans even DTC stopped for fans 4 years ago. If the cast had a problem with stopping for fans then they would have said years ago.

I have been to Elstree, not in the hope that they would stop but it was for the twenty fifth and some of us just wanted to show our support. There were a few nutjobs there though and it put me off ever doing it again. Its the personal choice of the cast if they stop, they are not obligated to. We may pay for their jobs through the licence fees or as consumers but we dont own them. What they do in their spare time is up to them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I have been to Elstree, not in the hope that they would stop but it was for the twenty fifth and some of us just wanted to show our support. There were a few nutjobs there though and it put me off ever doing it again. Its the personal choice of the cast if they stop, they are not obligated to. We may pay for their jobs through the licence fees or as consumers but we dont own them. What they do in their spare time is up to them.

I don't just mean present cast. I think some past cast should be at a convention too and do a talk. I think Adam Woodyatt organised a convention years ago and some fans went to that. Im not a nutjob. The cast seem happy to stop but if they are in a hurry we don't force them to stop but last year when Scott was just leaving work some people really wanted him to stop and he very kindly stopped even though he was in a rush he stopped for photos for a couple of minutes.
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not that uncommon as it happens they normally do one convention a year for certain things mostly tv shows etc, I know US soaps do them quite often, fans obviously have to pay for tickets but I don't see it as a bad idea, it's much safer then hanging about outside the studio potentially annoying the residents & cast trying to get work and go home and most actors quite enjoy it and doubt anyone would be forced to do anything, just a thought.
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you actually see anything there, I'll be interested in seeing where it's filmed but I'm not interested meeting cast members or hanging around for hours on end as I don't find that appealing, each to there own who like too tho, your right they not obligated to do anything.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    No

We do them here too, our biggest, LFCC, is happening right now in London. They're just, on both sides of the atlantic, reserved mostly for sci-fi and fantasy shows. Soaps don't tend to have dedicated cult audiences genre shows do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I think a Convention for the 30th would be a good idea someone on WW said They could get say 10 cast members (5 past/5 current) who are interested and limit it to like 500 fans and have lots of memorabilia from the show's history - the Queen Vic Bust, The Albert Square sign, Pat's earrings, Frank's bow tie, the famous frying pan etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I think a Convention for the 30th would be a good idea someone on WW said They could get say 10 cast members (5 past/5 current) who are interested and limit it to like 500 fans and have lots of memorabilia from the show's history - the Queen Vic Bust, The Albert Square sign, Pat's earrings, Frank's bow tie, the famous frying pan etc.

No...
  • all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    I don't think a convention is the way to do but they could do what Home and Away cast do and go to various shopping centre and hold meet and greet, photo ops. Would be nice to give something back to the fans.