Options

Pete Andre for coffee...wake up OFCOM.

Comments

• Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,117
    Forum Member
    I switched on about half way through and did wonder why they kept mentioning coffee, but at some point the voice over did mention the launch of a PA coffee brand. It was a really odd piece of advertising.

<snip>

A very odd programme but yes it plugged the diet and plugged the coffee and so perhaps this series is just meant to be one big advertising revenue generation project (after the hotel feature last week)?

I only caught the last 10 mins what struck me was the divorced shot of him talking about the diet...it looked set up rather than natural.

I then learn on this forum he was 'roadtesting' the diet for a magazine.

The coffee thing was extraodinary....again was it all a set up...as part of a buisness deal.
  • Options
    IdiotgirleIdiotgirle Posts: 2,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muffin999 wrote: »
    i think he would make a good gavin from autoglass.
    Next ep sees him wearing a polo shirt, like a golfer or racing driver, covered in patches for 888.com, webuyanycar, foxy bingo, Tena lady, Jamster, cash4gold and InjuryLawyers4U. Pete wanders around various shops humming jingles (all the while loving his kids, of course!) And talking about not talking about the person he calls The Person!
  • Options
    artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Idiotgirle wrote: »
    Next ep sees him wearing a polo shirt, like a golfer or racing driver, covered in patches for 888.com, webuyanycar, foxy bingo, Tena lady, Jamster, cash4gold and InjuryLawyers4U. Pete wanders around various shops humming jingles (all the while loving his kids, of course!) And talking about not talking about the person he calls The Person!

while standing in front of a giant OK billboard with a "Pa and my emotional Reunion with Gandhi" cover?:D
  • Options
    OlgaChristieOlgaChristie Posts: 15,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cannot agree with that at all.
    You think no-one is being ripped off whereas I think that many viewers will swallow it all down and are, in effect, being ripped off.

Why on earth do you feel they are being ripped off :confused:
  • Options
    wuzzlemaniawuzzlemania Posts: 413
    Forum Member
    Most celebs are walking adverts for some kind of product, from the celebs on the red carpet in their freebie clothing, jewels and shoes to the celebs photographed outside the gym with the latest healthy drink. Victoria Beckham used her friends as free advertising for her clothing range, just because it seems more blatent when the reality show stars do it doesn't mean the others aren't just as guilty.
  • Options
    SomebodytoLoveSomebodytoLove Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think that because it is my opinion.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most celebs are walking adverts for some kind of product, from the celebs on the red carpet in their freebie clothing, jewels and shoes to the celebs photographed outside the gym with the latest healthy drink. Victoria Beckham used her friends as free advertising for her clothing range, just because it seems more blatent when the reality show stars do it doesn't mean the others aren't just as guilty.

Indeed, but this is Peter Andre we are taking about - hence it being seen as something shocking enough for OFCOM to be brought in :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Personally, the same way I feel lying is ripping off the fans - the reality show is "selling" Pa and his life to his fans and others. So if whole sections of it are given over to free advertising and product placements for things (giving his implicit approval for that product) and he is either getting a fee or a freebie off it, he is cheating. He is using the fans, the people that support him and put their money into his pocket, to make more money while selling them a lie.

And just because other people do it, doesn't make it right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, the same way I feel lying is ripping off the fans - the reality show is "selling" Pa and his life to his fans and others. So if whole sections of it are given over to free advertising and product placements for things (giving his implicit approval for that product) and he is either getting a fee or a freebie off it, he is cheating. He is using the fans, the people that support him and put their money into his pocket, to make more money while selling them a lie.

And just because other people do it, doesn't make it right.

Personally (and I`m sure I speak for a large section of his fans), I couldn`t care less how much he is paid to advertise and promote things on his show. It doesn`t make it any less entertaining for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally (and I`m sure I speak for a large section of his fans), I couldn`t care less how much he is paid to advertise and promote things on his show. It doesn`t make it any less entertaining for me.

And I am sure I speak for people bemused by his fans adoration of him everywhere when I say that it isn't right, regardless of how much you are willing to put up with.

Eventually, you stop being fans and then you see the person for who they are, ask Darling, she used to defend Tango as much as she now attacks her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's the way the celeb world works, we all know that companies don't hand out the very expensive goody bags at events out of the goodness of their hearts, it's all free advertising. Right or wrong most celebs do it, so why should one be singled out.
  • Options
    FuzzyWigLoverFuzzyWigLover Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    I will just trust in the relevant authorites to sort any potential CAN/Andrex breaching of codes.

The old saying give them enough rope.......the public are waking up and smelling the Costa Coffee now, way more negative reports and press on Andrex coming to light now, and elsewhere even die hard Andrex supporters are aghast and disgusted at the spin they have been spun.
  • Options
    SomebodytoLoveSomebodytoLove Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the way the celeb world works, we all know that companies don't hand out the very expensive goody bags at events out of the goodness of their hearts, it's all free advertising. Right or wrong most celebs do it, so why should one be singled out.

Well the topic is PA so maybe that's why he is being discussed.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think the rise of the "My life" reality shows has made it worse, and why shouldn't we comment on that?

If we don't show we know about these things, they don't change them.
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter Andre fans won't care about his show being shameless self-promotion, simply because self-promotion (or if you like, a string of endorsements, carefully crafted newspaper 'exclusives' and products) is all Peter Andre is and all he represents.

The man is a walking media construct. Take away the self-advertising and all that's left is a grinning vortex.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think the rise of the "My life" reality shows has made it worse, and why shouldn't we comment on that?

If we don't show we know about these things, they don't change them.

Did I say that it shouldn't be commented on? All I'm saying is the issue is bigger than Peter and his show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And I am sure I speak for people bemused by his fans adoration of him everywhere when I say that it isn't right, regardless of how much you are willing to put up with.

Eventually, you stop being fans and then you see the person for who they are, ask Darling, she used to defend Tango as much as she now attacks her.

Then we will agree to disagree because I see nothing wrong in it - it`s the norm in the world of celeb. They all do it and good luck to them ........doesn`t affect my life whatsoever. I watch his programme because I like him and I find the programme entertaining. I`m sure his fans won`t lose any sleep over him promoting his next business venture - I mean isn`t that what business is all about - promoting one`s products ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will just trust in the relevant authorites to sort any potential CAN/Andrex breaching of codes.

The old saying give them enough rope.......the public are waking up and smelling the Costa Coffee now, way more negative reports and press on Andrex coming to light now, and elsewhere even die hard Andrex supporters are aghast and disgusted at the spin they have been spun[/B].

I`ve seen no evidence of that - it would be interesting to read if you wouldn`t mind providing a link ?
  • Options
    FuzzyWigLoverFuzzyWigLover Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    I`ve seen no evidence of that - it would be interesting to read if you wouldn`t mind providing a link ?

I would happily post a link, but it is another media forum (not 3 am) and do not think it would be permissable. Easily found if you care to look around though Olga.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would happily post a link, but it is another media forum (not 3 am) and do not think it would be permissable. Easily found if you care to look around though Olga.

I have had a look around and cannot find anything. You would imagine comments would have been left on his Facebook or website but there is nothing - only positive comments. Oh well ........perhaps someone else can find the article and post a link.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then we will agree to disagree because I see nothing wrong in it - it`s the norm in the world of celeb. They all do it and good luck to them ........doesn`t affect my life whatsoever. I watch his programme because I like him and I find the programme entertaining. I`m sure his fans won`t lose any sleep over him promoting his next business venture - I mean isn`t that what business is all about - promoting one`s products ?

Like I said in my post, I don't expect his fans to mind, that is par for the course. However, as I said before, that doesn't make it right, and doesn't mean it should happen. Generally, it is those on the outside of a relationship who can truly judge the toxicity of it.

Either Pa, and those of his ilk, should have a disclaimer saying "some aspects of what you are about to see are about as real as Tango's tits" or they should stop the product placement.
  • Options
    darlingdarling Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    How is it promoting a diet to be saying how difficult it is and how impossible he's finding it to stay on it? :confused:

And since the coffee doesn't exist, how is he promoting that product either?

It's odd.

The last series of The Apprentice had loads of designer and other products that were promoted, advertised and sold but I don't remember this degree of outrage - even though it was on the BBC! And that's just one example.

Very strange. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darling wrote: »
    How is it promoting a diet to be saying how difficult it is and how impossible he's finding it to stay on it? :confused:

And since the coffee doesn't exist, how is he promoting that product either?

It's odd.

The last series of The Apprentice had loads of designer and other products that were promoted, advertised and sold but I don't remember this degree of outrage - even though it was on the BBC! And that's just one example.

Very strange. :rolleyes:

My goodness me yes...................everything from designer cardboard tent drawers to bizarre pet carriers .....all free promotion for the designers of such trivia. All promoted for free courtesy of Lord Sugar :p And on the BBC :eek::p:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DIdn't he advertise his moving company this week too? I know other people do it, but I don't recall anything quite as blatant before.

Not that it bothers me, but it might cause problems for him in the long run. Isn't product placement banned at the moment?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DIdn't he advertise his moving company this week too? I know other people do it, but I don't recall anything quite as blatant before.

Not that it bothers me, but it might cause problems for him in the long run. Isn't product placement banned at the moment?

You have the photographer who took the picture of the removal van outside Pete`s new home to thank for that. But of course he`ll get blamed for that...........what should he have done...............rushed out with a blanket to cover the name of the company up lol :p He merely thanked them for all their hard work in his New column. Nothing wrong with that. It was already known said company did his removals thanks to the paparazzi :)
This discussion has been closed.