People far too good looking for the role they play

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
Forum Member
✭✭
I remember when Eastenders first started, and Americans being baffled that anyone would want to watch people like Susan Tully (who later became rather glammed up, but at the time was pretty but very ordinary looking, instead of Dynasty/ Dallas aspirational gloss.

Fair enough. But what strikes me about American productions is how often they feature an actress who is outstandingly good looking even when the script centres round the fact that she is not. It is as if they literally daren't put a genuinely plain actress in a romantic/ lead role, even in a story about a plain woman.

Exhibit a: The Truth about Cats and Dogs: Man amusingly falls in love with radio vet believing that she is the beautiful Uma Thurman and not the plain Janeane Garofolo. See how shockingly unattractive Janeane is? No? Because she is pretty, isn't she?

Exhibit b: Bones. And the endless jokes about this actress being fat. Because here's the awful thing: she is very slightly larger than the other female lead. What a tub, eh?

Exhibit c: Hermione. We all know it. Hermione had bushy hair (not prettily crimped; bushy); she had too-big teeth; she was awkward and not very popular. So they cast the prettiest girl in the school, a natural prom queen. See the scene where she comes down the stairs at the ball and everyone gasps because she is ACTUALLY PRETTY? In the films they must gasp because the prettiest girl in the school has unaccountably gone to the Disney store for her prom dress, and that is all.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Classic example - Rachel Leigh Cook in She's All That

Because apparently this is what an unpopular nerdy girl looks like

Ditto Alyson Hannigan in Buffy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lindsay Sloane, who played the hopeless, bullied Valerie in Sabrina the Teenage Witch. She was gorgeous and just as beautiful as the other best looking member of the cast, Jenna Leigh Green (Libby) but we were supposed to believe she'd be the most unpopular and most picked on girl in a high school.

I always wondered if Lindsay and Jenna weren't axed from the show to boost Melissa Joan Hart's looks because she was plain next to them and the actresses who followed were never that pretty from season four onwards.
  • floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    This thread made me laugh. So you want really ugly people on tv instead? :p

I'm joking a bit when I say that but I suppose there could be some pressure put on tv producers to cast reasonably good looking people for some roles just to appeal to the audience.

American tv is much more looks obsessed than our tv. ;) They don't want Susan Tully on their shows! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    floopy123 wrote: »

I'm joking a bit when I say that but I suppose there could be some pressure put on tv producers to cast reasonably good looking people for some roles just to appeal to the audience.

American tv is much more looks obsessed than our tv. ;) They don't want Susan Tully on their shows! :D

I totally get what you mean, but sometimes an actor is so far removed in terms of their looks when it comes to the character they're playing it can be spoil any potential realism just a bit.

I think this is an interesting thread.
  • AfterlifeAfterlife Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mila Kunis in Friends with Benefits. As if they'd get together in real life! :rolleyes:
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lea Michelle as Rachel in Glee - they're always making out how she's plain looking and not as attractive as the "other girls" and "goofy looking" etc - ridiculous, she looks stunning! I'm sure many girls would like to look as amazing as Lea Michelle doe!. It just makes me laugh whenever she'd referred to as plain in the show!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    In the Inspector Lynley books by Elizabeth George, the character of Sgt Barbara Havers is fat, unattractive and lacking in social skills.

She is played by Sharon Small http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/pa/2009/02/pa554410_175x175.jpg
  • NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle Pfeiffer in "Frankie and Johnny". In NO universe is La Pfeiffer not goodlooking!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Halle Berry in Catwoman. Before her transformation, she was supposed to be this shy, awkward, mousey little thing who everyone treated like dirt. Yeah, right! She was actually prettiest in the first half of the film, before she donned an awful short-haired wig and put on that disgusting costume.

To be fair, the whole movie was ridiculous though!
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In Hollywood, you make a character ugly and nerdy by making them wear a jumper, carry books and wear thick-rimmed glasses.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it does happen in real life sometimes.

Often at work youll see someone in their uniform and then you see them socially and they look a completely different person.

I guess its the same sometimes with this. Dodgy facial hair / haircut / clothes / bit of extra weight really can change someones desirability.
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Halle Berry in Catwoman. Before her transformation, she was supposed to be this shy, awkward, mousey little thing who everyone treated like dirt. Yeah, right! She was actually prettiest in the first half of the film, before she donned an awful short-haired wig and put on that disgusting costume.

To be fair, the whole movie was ridiculous though!
    Being pretty doesn't mean that you can't be shy, awkward and treated like dirt. Plenty of pretty people have low self-esteem and don't realise how they look. It's not about how you look, it's about how you value yourself. Plenty of good looking people only see ugly when they look in the mirror and undergo surgery to correct imaginery flaws and end up looking much worse afterwards. Then there are people who are quite plain but they think they are God's gift to attractiveness.
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    floopy123 wrote: »

I don't know, I appreciate realism rather than some American-imported ideal of beauty, which tends to be identikit and fake. It's why I'm thankful UK TV isn't so looks-obsessed; the people who populate our programmes are distinct and recognisable and tend not to be hidden behind the gloss of fashion.

I love a bit of gritty Bafta faces, me. ;)

Then there is the classic example of the incorrectly titled Ugly Betty; America Ferrera is of course anything but, and the producer's idea of Betty's "ugliness" is equally out of line with any aesthetic context. But they do try, the US Lands do. Unfortunately even the concept of ugliness is just too eww.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are people's thoughts about Charlize Theron in 'Monster'?
  • marsha_Cutiepiemarsha_Cutiepie Posts: 9,721
    Forum Member
    I agree with all of the mentioned ones particularily Rachel/Lea Michele in Glee who is gorgeous, and especially Rachel Leigh Cook in She's All That who is really pretty.

Re America Fererra - I do think though she isnt beautiful, dont get my wrong she isnt unattractive, but she will never be cast as the gorgeous, desired for female lead in a movie, but agree the yanks would never have anyone really ugly cast!

I haven't seen it but in one of her earlier movies Scarlett Johannson plays one of the outsiders/hated by the popular crowd in Ghost World!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being pretty doesn't mean that you can't be shy, awkward and treated like dirt. Plenty of pretty people have low self-esteem and don't realise how they look. It's not about how you look, it's about how you value yourself. Plenty of good looking people only see ugly when they look in the mirror and undergo surgery to correct imaginery flaws and end up looking much worse afterwards. Then there are people who are quite plain but they think they are God's gift to attractiveness.

In the real world, I completely agree.

However, this is Halle Berry. To have her even try to play plain and mousey is insulting towards the audience, in my opinion.

It's as bad as when they put big ugly glasses and a bad wig on an actress who is very obviously beautiful and then give her a "make over" and suddenly she has a lot of boyfriends and is Miss Popularity with everyone. TV shows used to d this a lot, much to my irritation.
  • Harry RedknappHarry Redknapp Posts: 4,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hermione was never ugly, tho.
  • parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    Lindsay Sloane, who played the hopeless, bullied Valerie in Sabrina the Teenage Witch. She was gorgeous and just as beautiful as the other best looking member of the cast, Jenna Leigh Green (Libby) but we were supposed to believe she'd be the most unpopular and most picked on girl in a high school.

I always wondered if Lindsay and Jenna weren't axed from the show to boost Melissa Joan Hart's looks because she was plain next to them and the actresses who followed were never that pretty from season four onwards.

This is a really good one! :) I was always like "WTF?" about that.

Though I don't know about Lindsay and Jenna being dispatched with. Jenny, Sabrina's first bestie was less good-looking than Sabrina and was replaced by Valerie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    I'd say Toby Stephens as Mr. Rochester in the 2006 series of Jane Eyre... and Timothy Dalton... they always seems to be guilty of this when it comes to Mr. Rochester even though he's meant to be plain/ugly (in Jane's eyes).
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    spaceygal wrote: »
    Lea Michelle as Rachel in Glee - they're always making out how she's plain looking and not as attractive as the "other girls" and "goofy looking" etc - ridiculous, she looks stunning! I'm sure many girls would like to look as amazing as Lea Michelle doe!. It just makes me laugh whenever she'd referred to as plain in the show!

That one annoys me, she is better looking than her "rival" Quinn, who looks pretty bland and basic hot as in, blonde hair, blue eyes yawn compared to Rachel.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Tina Fey (Liz Lemon) in 30 Rock!

I know it's part of the humour that people always make fun of Liz's appearance and her ugliness/ weight but Tina Fey is actually a very attractive woman! Although she does write those insults herself so I guess she's just playing it for laughs.
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    Tina Fey (Liz Lemon) in 30 Rock!

I know it's part of the humour that people always make fun of Liz's appearance and her ugliness/ weight but Tina Fey is actually a very attractive woman! Although she does write those insults herself so I guess she's just playing it for laughs.

She didn't used to be (if you've seen her school pics), its like Tina hasn't seen her transformation from average looking back in the day to attractive older woman and still sees herself as the chubby teen with all the jokes about her eating and being gross.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheryl Cole as the big bad wolf on last year's X Factor.
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's loads of these types of characters; Sandra Bullock in Miss Congeniality, Jennier Lopez in Maid in Manhattan, Julia Roberts in that one with Catherine Zeta Jones and John Cusack (very funny movie :D love his breakdown :o). None of these women could be considered anything less than beautiful - ever. So they grow out their eyebrows a bit and don't wash their hair for three days and we're expected to believe that they've been overlooked for years...............