Options

Should Simon Wicks have brought back for EE tonight?

Comments

• Options
    The RhydlerThe Rhydler Posts: 4,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon's return would have been great, yes. But David is such a better character and actor and it would have been hard to get two heartfelt conversations with their mother.

I thought the writing tonight was phenominal.

They could have heartfelt conversations with each other about their mother!
  • Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    I wanted Simon to come back because it would be good to see Nick Berry. It's weird with Simon and David, since they are two of the most high-profile soap brothers but they've never had a scene together.
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasnt too bothered that Whisky wasnt there tonight, im 24 so dont remember his character at all but David I do and I was more exicted to see him tonight, plus there are plenty more story opportunites with David. Saying that him not being at the funeral is totally unrealistic but there you go.
  • Options
    EastenderstreetEastenderstreet Posts: 3,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick Berry wasn't asked back

but he said last year that he would be interested in returning

BK is the one to blame here
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesphen wrote: »
    Nick Berry was asked and he said no, and there's no point recasting him, that'd just remove the character's history and make his return irrelevant. Besides, it makes sense that Simon wouldn't return, he'd be pushed to get a plane from New Zealand at such short notice, and they're expensive - we've already been told he's in financial trouble.

they could have atleast brought him back for the funeral if not for her final moments
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Ricky has called Simon on the 30th, and got straight on the plane, he would have been back by the 1st. Tired and jetlagged yes, but thats a small price to pay to see your mother for the last time.

I don't think Nick Berry was asked at all, because he was interviewed a few months back and he said he'd be willing to for Pam's sake, as Michael French has also done.

I think the writers thought there was more mileage with David, with his daughter, ex-wife, enemies Derek and Ian around, whereas only fans of a certain age will be able to remember Simon, even though his arc with Pat was more dramatic and leaned more on her salty past than anything with David.

If you remember, in 1996, David actually left on good terms with Pat, there was no ill feeling, David fled the square as he couldnt handle the combined guilt of not being to deal with Joe and his involvment with Ian's shooting. He and Pat were fine when he left, so while tonights showdown brought back some of his deep-seated resentment, just the same could have been achieved with Simon, whose very fatherhood was treated like a plaything by a vengeful Pat in the 80's.

Both characters were worthy of a return, and both should have returned. When Frank died three of his clan came back...we only needed two for this one.

your right about him saying he would return, because i also remember reading that before

the only one to blame is BK for not even asking him:mad:, that man is a disgrace and should be sacked, hes had his time he needs to move on now
  • Options
    paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad Michael French agreed to do it, he is a very underestimated actor when it comes to awards, but he can go from one long term character to another and you see them seperately, like David Jason.

David is a really bad lot, he should cause a lot of trouble on the square while he is there and break a few hearts. They could have cast another character for Wicksy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why wasnt it meant to be?

Cos teenagers would say 'who'?

More pandering.

I don't think that would be a valid excuse

im only a teenager and I would have loved to have seen a simon return:D

besides, Simon was mentioned so many times in the last year, I think everybody young or old would have known who he was at this stage:D
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its difficult to bring back so many characters, I'm not bothered about him not being there tonight as I felt David's return was enough but the funeral is a different story.
  • Options
    emmerdaleloveremmerdalelover Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, Simon should have come back. A blast from the 1980s golden era, where Pat originated, was needed. We're not all teenyboppers who don't remember anything before 1996 or web hoppers with the attention spans of gold fish, BBC!
  • Options
    Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think it's fair to blame the younger viewers for him not returning. I'm 22, too young to remember Simon during his original stint, but I'd have loved him back tonight.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yoshi Fan wrote: »
    Don't think it's fair to blame the younger viewers for him not returning. I'm 22, too young to remember Simon during his original stint, but I'd have loved him back tonight.:)

Sorry, I know there are many dedicated young EE fans who love the '80s era.

What I should have written in my original comment was:

"We're not all teenyboppers who don't care about anything before 1996 "

My apologies.
  • Options
    Lee CoolLee Cool Posts: 4,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon should have been brought back, if nothing else to sing this song in the Vic for the funeral.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BNWcycOArk

:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lee Cool wrote: »
    Simon should have been brought back, if nothing else to sing this song in the Vic for the funeral.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BNWcycOArk

:p

LOL - I used to like that song at the time! :o
  • Options
    Reem2011Reem2011 Posts: 4,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick Berry was willing to go back. It was said on lorraine kelly show
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, Simon should have come back. A blast from the 1980s golden era, where Pat originated, was needed. We're not all teenyboppers who don't remember anything before 1996 or web hoppers with the attention spans of gold fish, BBC!

Spot on, however harsh that sounded, and of course, being young doesn't mean you can't take an interest in the past, but thats the way the producers think - sad but true.

Wicksy was an icon back in the day, a heart throb, I was only very young myself when he was around, but he was a true poster boy for the young girls.

He was also a huge part of the success story that was EE in its formative years. He is arguably a bigger character than David in terms of longevity and narrative, taking nothing away from David who in half the time acheived about as much. Both legend in my book, and we've all been robbed of a historic meet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    mandead88 wrote: »
    We got David, by far the better character and actor. His intro was pretty good, and I'll be sad to see him leave. :(

Agreed.

I always found Simon and Nick Berry as the bland alternative.

It was mentioned on some show during the week that David AND Simon would be back. Nick Berry has never said that he wouldn't come back. On the contrary, he has said that he would under the right circumstances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If these weren't the right circumstances - what would be?
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I'm glad he didn't return at this moment as it would have made for too many characters involved. There's far more mileage in David coming back to it was the right choice to focus on him.

I'd say the better time for Simon to make an appearance would be in connection with Stephen and Ian. I want Cindy to still be alive. She's in witness protection with Kathy!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too many characters so one of the best of them is dispensed with?
  • Options
    gamblegamble Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    I do wish nick berry would come back on our screens soon. easy to forget just what a huge star he was.
  • Options
    BenchBench Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spot on, however harsh that sounded, and of course, being young doesn't mean you can't take an interest in the past, but thats the way the producers think - sad but true.

Wicksy was an icon back in the day, a heart throb, I was only very young myself when he was around, but he was a true poster boy for the young girls.

He was also a huge part of the success story that was EE in its formative years. He is arguably a bigger character than David in terms of longevity and narrative, taking nothing away from David who in half the time acheived about as much. Both legend in my book, and we've all been robbed of a historic meet.

I agree :(
  • Options
    BBTIMEBBTIME Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it would have taken the focus away from Pat too much to have them both return in that episode.

It would have been the first time that both David and Simon were on screen together, plus it's a huge return for either to be back in the square. I know I'd have been more interested to see how they work together as brothers, what they now look like etc. I think David returning was more than enough, especially when you think about other soap deaths and how nobody ever turns up with the 'oh she couldn't make it, she really wanted to but she had some food shopping to do' rubbish!
  • Options
    madetomeasuremadetomeasure Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    Nick Berry wasn't asked, Simon should have returned but only Nick can play him. You cannot recast Wicksy.

No, no way could you, I agree.
  • Options
    04ikhan04ikhan Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Why wasnt it meant to be?

Cos teenagers would say 'who'?

More pandering.

Teenagers didn't know who the hell Mandy was, so why couldn't Simon return, it would of been good for both brothers to have final scenes with Pat. Although it would of been awkward for them both to look at Ian on the face as they both had an affair with Cindy. But still Simon should have returned that was the only thing I was disappointed with Yesterday's episode