List your Blu Ray Steelbooks

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
Forum Member
✭✭
Dont think I have seen a thread on this so just wondering if anyone has any good or rare blu ray steelbooks.

Here is my list, nothing special but have a few rare ones my husband got on his trip to the US the other week.

Hanna
Adjustment Bureau
BSG The Plan
Karate Kid
Thor
Battle LA
Priest
Salt
Gran Torino
The Runaways
The Wolfman
The Expendables
Paul
Twilight Trilogy
Memento
The Town

I think thats it.

Comments

• ruddigerruddiger Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In total i have over 250 Blu-Rays , but not a single Steelbook. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got about 100 Blu Rays & the only steelbook i have is Highlander.
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I ask what is so special about steelbooks? I don't think I have any - I have one in a tin case (Reservoir Dogs came in a sort of slim petrol can design - its a pain as it can't be stored with the other blu-rays, slightly too big.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give me consistent packaging any day. And I wouldn't buy most of those blu-rays in normal packaging.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only Paul. came through the door like it
  • DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No apathy from me, I love them.

The Adjustment Bureau
    Back to the Future (well, tin)
    Battlestar Galactica complete (again, tin but hey ho that's the last!)
    Battlestar Galactica: The Plan
    Doctor Who Series "5"
    Flash Gordon
    Highlander
    Inception (OK, so that wasn't the last. This is a briefcase. But it's metal)
    Kick-Ass
    Scott Pilgrim vs the World
    Star Trek
    Sweeny Todd
    Terminator 2
    Wanted

And a couple of wrestling DVDs.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Blu Ray collection is steelbook free. I have never liked them, I think they look terrible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    The Adjustment Bureau
    Akira
    Battle Los Angeles
    District 9
    The Expendables
    Fast and Furious 5
    Green Zone
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
    The Karate Kid
    Kick-Ass
    Machete
    Minority Report
    Paul
    Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
    Predators
    Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
    Psycho
    Robin Hood
    Scarface
    Source Code
    Sweeney Todd
    Terminator 2
    Terminator Salvation
    Thor
    True Grit
    Wanted

And I have steelbooks for Pulp Fiction, X-Men: First Class, Cars 2, and Captain America pre-ordered.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice to see some people listing what they have.

I really think they are cool especially those that have artwork front and back without any writing on. And of course in the years ahead they will have some value as most are exclusive and have sold out.

My husband paid peanuts for the town and memento sealed steelbooks (about 12 dollars each) from the states but on ebay some are listing them for sale for crazy money.

Still think my favourite Steelbook is Salt, haunting front pic of AJ and lovely silky feel to it, the new Thor steelbook is really fantastic, you need to have that one in your hands to really appreciate it, no online videos show it off good enough.
  • porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see the fascination with steelbooks but knowing I could exploit others love of them I got the Star Trek 11 Steelbook for the same price as the regular release.

4 months later I sold it for nearly £50 , then bought the standard version for £6.99 and spent the rest on some other titles.

I also got the Psycho Steelbook but thats not gone up in price enough yet.

I do have Highlander but when it was released there was only the SB version available.

Wanted Flash Gordon and just got the SB for the same price as the regular release.

Pre-ordered the Silent Running one too .
    The most annoying thing about them is they don't have proper back covers and any that list the details on the back cover are card stick ons.
  • wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love SteelBooks, they add the collectors touch to my collection and their artwork is so much better. I have around 12 UK ones and a few worldwide ones but they really feel 'exclusive' rather than a normal amaray and when people come round they like the look of them!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    porkpie wrote: »
    I can't see the fascination with steelbooks but knowing I could exploit others love of them I got the Star Trek 11 Steelbook for the same price as the regular release.

4 months later I sold it for nearly £50 , then bought the standard version for £6.99 and spent the rest on some other titles.

I also got the Psycho Steelbook but thats not gone up in price enough yet.

I do have Highlander but when it was released there was only the SB version available.

Wanted Flash Gordon and just got the SB for the same price as the regular release.

Pre-ordered the Silent Running one too .

The most annoying thing about them is they don't have proper back covers and any that list the details on the back cover are card stick ons.

But not having the movie description on the back is the whole point of it though as they are really artwork based. I think most people who collect steelbooks hate the ones that have the movie description on the back, I know I do.
    I always keep the cardboard flyer that sits around the steelbook in case I need to re-read the movie description and I think having that can help the sell on price if you decided to sell the steelbook at a later date
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend emailed me this steelbook unboxing, I could not believe what I was seeing, he was using a knife to take the slip cover off. :eek:

The knife action starts at around 1 minute, listen to what he is saying and read the comments people have left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtRmgoiMxPs
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    These are ones I can remember, got some behind others on shelves at the moment and can't be arsed to move them all again to see. :p

Hanna
    Battle: Los Angeles
    Salt
    Resident Evil: Afterlife
    Chronicle
    Nightmare on Elm Street - remake
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    The Wolfman
    Paul
    Akira
    Fast and Furious 5
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
    Kick-Ass - original first release steelbook
    Source Code
    Zombieland - original first release steelbook from Germany, not the new one released soon
    The Raid
    Prometheus
    In Time
    Monsters
    Drive
    The Devil's Double
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
    Cowboys & Aliens
    Battleship
    The Hunger Games
    Snow White and the Huntsman
    American History X
    Equilibrium
    Blade
    Eastern Promises
    Kill Bill Vol 1
    Kill Bill Vol 2
    Final Destination 5
    Cabin in the Woods - before the recall
    Pitch Black
    Touch of Evil
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
    Batman Begins
    Dark Knight
    X-Men: First Class
    Shutter Island
    Ratatouille
    Scream 4
    The Extraordinary Adventures Of Adele Blanc-Sec
    Metropolis
    King of New York
    Scott Pilgram vs the World - original first release, not the second release blue one
    The Thing - remake steelbook from Germany
    Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
    Green Hornet
    Rampart
    Captain America
    Super 8
    Alien Anthology
    The Avengers
    Immortals
    Silent Running
    Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows

Soon to be added, steelbooks I've pre-ordered:

Battle Royale
    The Bourne Legacy
    Dark Shadows
    Dark Knight Rises
    Chernobyl Diaries
    Amazing Spiderman
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    I've got a Steel Tin if that counts, Back To The Future.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i've got about 100 blurays and the steelbooks total is zero

you only have to look at the play.com website to see that they've become a licence to print money and exploit collectors and those foolish enough to pay big money on ebay

nothing wrong with having a few of your favourites steeled i guess but having dozens smacks of more money than sense to me:D
    Forum Member
    I buy mine all to keep - not a buyer of steelbooks to sell on at a profit - I also just buy films I want to own on blu-ray or see. I get them on release/pre-order, never bought a steelbook off someone selling it on ebay/amazon etc for high amounts.

For example - I've pre ordered the Battle Royale steelbook for £12.99(upgrading my DVD because it's dodgy) and it's going out of stock soon before release date according to collectors forums, so no doubt after a week of it coming out you will find it on ebay for high prices.

You are right though about places milking people who will just buy a steelbook because it's a steelbook, no matter the film. There is a new series coming out, forgotten the company, but it's a wave of steelbooks for films like Blade Runner, Heat, 300 and so on - awful white tone designs that look like no thought was put into the design but steelbook collectors are pre-ordering the things.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    revans9 wrote: »

you only have to look at the play.com website to see that they've become a licence to print money and exploit collectors and those foolish enough to pay big money on ebay

nothing wrong with having a few of your favourites steeled i guess but having dozens smacks of more money than sense to me:D[/QUOTE

I agree. I've got about 100 odd blu-rays and only a handful of them are steelbooks. I just can't see the appeal.
    On some AV sites, some people will only buy a disc if it's a steelbook or has a slipcover (and that really is a pointless waste of card), I mean wtf. It's the film and features that count surely?

Edit: And if anyone thinks they can make a killing on The Avengers blu is really deluded. Those things were made in the thousands.
    Forum Member
    ^ You can make money if you have the Singpore release of The Avengers steelbook.
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really bothered about steelbooks, i'd be worried about scuffing and scratching.

I do like my covers to be good and mirror original poster artwork, so any i'm not happy with i just get a graphic designer friend to re-design me a cover and i replace it. I've advised him to contact the studio's for work - some of the covers that get issued are bloody awful. One that springs to mind is X-Men First Class.
    Forum Member
    ^ The X-Men: First Class steelbook is a good design though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    MissDexter wrote: »
    Not really bothered about steelbooks, i'd be worried about scuffing and scratching.

I do like my covers to be good and mirror original poster artwork, so any i'm not happy with i just get a graphic designer friend to re-design me a cover and i replace it. I've advised him to contact the studio's for work - some of the covers that get issued are bloody awful. One that springs to mind is X-Men First Class.

Great film, but the whole marketing campaign was awful.
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great film, but the whole marketing campaign was awful.

The cover of the Blu-ray annoys me because it's a boring image plastered over with press quotes and star ratings.

I've never quite understood why they put that crap on dvd's/blu-ray's - surely the majority of people who buy these have already seen them so why do they need to be "sold on what the press thinks"
    And people who blind buy will no doubt have already heard about it and how "good" it's supposed to be.

Press quotes and star ratings serve no purpose on dvd/blu covers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Only the one - Expendables Collector's Edition Steel Tin which includes the excellent feature length making of documentary ‘Inferno’.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    revans9 wrote: »

nothing wrong with having a few of your favourites steeled i guess but having dozens smacks of more money than sense to me:D

I agree that some are a money making racket, one reason I Have not bought promethus or snowwhite steelbooks, play are taking the p*** with these prices.

The best UK steelbooks for quality and design are normally HMV exclusive's and sometimes you get a good deal like i did with avengers and hunger games, although think the HG steel is a bit poor for a HVM exclusive.