Worried about a neighbour's cat

EEfan24EEfan24 Posts: 2,942
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Over the last couple of days my family and I have become a little concerned about a cat that lives a couple of doors away from us. She has frequently come to our house in the past in search of food (we have our own cat too) but we thought nothing of it, perhaps just that she was greedy.

Recently she seems to be out of her own house more and seems genuinely hungry when she appears at ours. Sometimes if we are in other rooms, we don't notice her come in and she's finished a whole bowl of our cat's food (he's really laid back and couldn't really care less). We have also noticed that she has some scabs on her spine and some slight bald patches on the back of her legs. On appearance she doesn't look underweight or unhealthy but when you get close to her or stroke her it's noticeable. Is this something to worry about or are we over-worrying about someone else's pet? We don't feel like we can approach her owner as we'd sound like we're accusing them of neglect! Especially as we've never met them and don't know the reasons as to why she seems shut out a lot (perhaps they work long hours etc)

Any ideas appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I would (in a friendly way) explain to the neighbour, don't make it accusatory just say what you have noticed and ask if they have seen it too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    My cats have a window open for them at all times, however one sits on my drive huddled up looking all pathetic, all the time. People feel sorry for him! He can and does come in for food, but likes the sympathy I think, so perhaps she's not shut out, but just a wanderer?
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    The poor cat needs medical attention. Scabbing and fur loss could be mange.

The poor pussy cat is obviously suffering from neglect and I would be explaining this to the owners or taking him or her to the vets myself.
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know if the cat is elderly or unwell??

When our cat got old she looked a right state for her last couple of years (she was 17 ish), especially as she was long haired, and was very thin (kidneys failing sadly). I shudder to imagine what people must have thought of us.

Perhaps, if you run into them you can just casually ask how the cat is getting on? What its name is, how old etc?
  • EEfan24EEfan24 Posts: 2,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I'm not too worried about the fact she's out a lot as like you say, this could just be a trait of the cat. It's more the skin I'm worried about. She's at our house as I type this wanting food as well.

We're not sure of her age, though she doesn't look very old. She lost her tail from a car accident before we moved here so she's not exceptionally young either. As I said in my original post, she doesn't appear unwell either- definitely got an appetite.

We're going with molliepops suggestion but going to play ignorant that we don't know where she lives (as they don't know we know) and pretend we're just asking around locally if anyone knows whose cat it is.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As an owner of an 18 year old cat I think it's easy for a cat to look abit down trodden especially if it's old. My cat is looking abit scruffy and he meows outside my neighbours window for food (they once fed him and he often goes there sometimes I think to annoy me!)

I assure you my cat is very well looked after. He's a long haired cat and does look shabby sometimes. He is fed whenever he wants, he has Sheba and gourmet occasionally but mainly whiskas or felix. I love him very much but to some he probably does look down trodden, he's looked like that for years!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    As an owner of an 18 year old cat I think it's easy for a cat to look abit down trodden especially if it's old. My cat is looking abit scruffy and he meows outside my neighbours window for food (they once fed him and he often goes there sometimes I think to annoy me!)

I assure you my cat is very well looked after. He's a long haired cat and does look shabby sometimes. He is fed whenever he wants, he has Sheba and gourmet occasionally but mainly whiskas or felix. I love him very much but to some he probably does look down trodden, he's looked like that for years!

I definitely get peoples' points that cats can look shabby, which is why I'm feeling very cautious about approaching the neighbours. The skin on the back of her legs though does look quite sore, it's not that she just appears a bit scruffy. I've had cats before my current one too until old age who have looked a bit worse for wear :)
  • Cat.JCat.J Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The skin problem could be a flea allergy - if she's allergic to flea saliva she'll be itching like mad and will be very uncomfortable. And the over-eating could be due to an over-active thyroid which would obviously need medication. It certainly sounds like the poor cat needs to be seen by a vet.

It's a difficult situation and if it were me, I would either:

Speak to the owner - but they may tell you to mind your own business.
    Phone the RSPCA - but they may not bother coming out.
    Encourage the cat into your house as much as possible and basically "adopt" it!

Good luck, I hope you manage to help the poor thing.
  • WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    I agree cats can look a bit worse for wear as they get older. However, soreness and scabs could be due to a flea allergy, something which is perfectly treatable.

I would generally enquire about the cat. How old is it? Its name etc., how long have they had it. Maybe mention the scabs by stating your cat had them once and how you managed to treat him/her.

Their responses should give you some indication as to whether the cat is neglected or not. Sometimes people lead busy lives and do not always notice something has changed with their pet especially if it spends a lot of time outdoors.
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    One of our cats always looks like a stray. We brush him and 10 minutes later he's scruffy again, and he's always hungry - he eats twice as much as the other two together. Some cats are just like that, it doesn't mean they're being neglected.

The cat's skin does need treatment though. The little scabs sound like flea allergy (though that doesn't mean the cat has fleas), if it's left untreated it will lead to hair loss after a couple of weeks. If it is a flea allergy it's easy and not too expensive for your neighbour to get treated - my youngest cat (not the scruffy one) has injections every few months that cost £38 a time.
  • RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cat clearly knows you are gullible. Thats not the owners fault. I would not welcome you knocking on my door with our accusations.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RickWhite wrote: »
    The cat clearly knows you are gullible. Thats not the owners fault. I would not welcome you knocking on my door with our accusations.

I wouldn't be making accusations. I would just enquire as to whether they know whose cat it is, as it spends a lot of time trying to eat at our house. Also, I said she comes round wanting food. We don't feed her unless she gets in without us noticing and helps herself to our cat's food. Not too sure you've read my previous posts all too accurately.
  • RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EEfan24 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be making accusations. I would just enquire as to whether they know whose cat it is, as it spends a lot of time trying to eat at our house. Also, I said she comes round wanting food. We don't feed her unless she gets in without us noticing and helps herself to our cat's food. Not too sure you've read my previous posts all too accurately.

Cats do lok scruffy ESP when they get older and they will always go begging for food, particularly if they are not a house cat.
  • flakecakeflakecake Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RickWhite wrote: »

I don't think it's a matter of being gullible, I would have the same concerns if a neighbours cat was looking like that. I have 3 cats and although they all look healthy and well looked after, if there was ever a point when they didn't and someone knocked on my door to ask about one of them I would be happy to explain any illness or reason as to why they have started to look shabby. If people are out and work all day and their cats are in and out all the time they don't always notice when something is wrong. Whether thats right or wrong is a different matter but it does happen. It also happens that some people just don't give a damn, in which case someone else should step in and help if they can.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if I just made the situation worse or better. Went round, only a teenage girl was in so not particularly ideal, and pretended I didn't know the cat was theirs but she soon confirmed it was. Explained it's always round our house and we were just wondering if it has a home and she apologised and said they do feed it. She also said "he doesn't really like being in", which leads me to think they're completely oblivious to the scabs. It was too awkward to bring them up with her though, and she probably wasn't the right person to mention them to. (Didn't fancy some angry parents knocking on my door when they're home!).

So, I think we are going to keep an eye on him (thought it was a her-oops), as hopefully they'll encourage him to stay in a bit more now. It his condition gets worse then we'll definitely go back round.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I would be careful before accusing people of neglect if a cat has scabs.

My cat has a skin problem, she is allergic to dust mites, mites in dry food and fleas. At the moment she has a bald patch around her tail and bottom, no matter what we do we can't stop her licking and on several occasions she has had bad scabs and sores. The vet has actually said that as it gets colder, wetter and the central heating goes on and windows don't get open as much mites love it and come back to life and her problems start up again. She looks a right scruff bag at the moment as she has started pulling her fur out on her side, I brush her and a few minutes later she looks a mess. Short of ripping out the carpet in the whole flat and turning the heating off there isn't much more we can do, she goes to the vet she gets her jabs, we put her cream on, she gets deflead once a month even though she never has fleas.

So if someone decided, because she had scabs and looked scruffy and was out and about, to come round and have a word with me about her because they thought I was neglecting her they would get the door shut in their face.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    I don't think there is any harm, if you are concerned about the animal, about going round to the owner and expressing those concerns. If someone saw my cats out and about and they didn't look well, I'd much rather they said something than just do nothing about it. It doesn't need to be agressive or accusatory, just a polite "have you noticed your cat has a few scabs? is he/she ok?" I'd have absolutely no issue with that.

Much better to point something out that the owner may have missed than have the animal potentially suffer, surely?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    I would be careful before accusing people of neglect if a cat has scabs.

My cat has a skin problem, she is allergic to dust mites, mites in dry food and fleas. At the moment she has a bald patch around her tail and bottom, no matter what we do we can't stop her licking and on several occasions she has had bad scabs and sores. The vet has actually said that as it gets colder, wetter and the central heating goes on and windows don't get open as much mites love it and come back to life and her problems start up again. She looks a right scruff bag at the moment as she has started pulling her fur out on her side, I brush her and a few minutes later she looks a mess. Short of ripping out the carpet in the whole flat and turning the heating off there isn't much more we can do, she goes to the vet she gets her jabs, we put her cream on, she gets deflead once a month even though she never has fleas.

So if someone decided, because she had scabs and looked scruffy and was out and about, to come round and have a word with me about her because they thought I was neglecting her they would get the door shut in their face.

That's the thing, I don't think they're neglecting him, I think they genuinely don't know he has them because he's out a lot. But because of reasons you've stated, I am wary of going round again. I feel like I should be doing something to help him though :(
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,267
    Forum Member
    If it gets worse secretly kittynap the poor thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly we can't afford to keep another cat! He literally spent all day today either outside our back door or in our kitchen. :/
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    That's the thing, I don't think they're neglecting him, I think they genuinely don't know he has them because he's out a lot. But because of reasons you've stated, I am wary of going round again. I feel like I should be doing something to help him though :(

Maybe he stays out because he doesn't like something in their house e.g. dog? You say he is OK in your house, so it must be something like that.

I think you've done all you can by cautiously alerting the owners to the situation. You can just keep an eye on the situation now - at least make sure his scabs aren't getting worse. The scabs might not be a disease - cats who are out a lot might be in a lot of fights.

The only other thing you could do is take the cat to your neighbours (after a while has passed since your last visit) and bullshit that he got locked in your shed (or something like that), that you are "returning him", and hope he is OK. Then say you noticed in passing the scabs. This time pick a time when the most likely-to-be-sympathetic adult is at home.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sambda wrote: »
    Maybe he stays out because he doesn't like something in their house e.g. dog? You say he is OK in your house, so it must be something like that.

I think you've done all you can by cautiously alerting the owners to the situation. You can just keep an eye on the situation now - at least make sure his scabs aren't getting worse. The scabs might not be a disease - cats who are out a lot might be in a lot of fights.

The only other thing you could do is take the cat to your neighbours (after a while has passed since your last visit) and bullshit that he got locked in your shed (or something like that), that you are "returning him", and hope he is OK. Then say you noticed in passing the scabs. This time pick a time when the most likely-to-be-sympathetic adult is at home.

Thanks for your advice :) I checked his scabs today and I'd say they're mildly better. I'm no vet but they're very small scabs but quite a lot of them so I think it could be to do with fleas. Also keeping an eye on his sore/dry skin on backs of his legs, which also seem to be a tad better.

They obviously do feed him, which I didn't dispute as he isn't underweight, but I have NO idea when he goes home! Their cars are gone when I leave in the morning, and I never see what time they return but it's late. He sleeps in a tree at the bottom of our garden (can't see him once he's in it, just see him climbing in bless him) and I'm pretty sure he's in there at night too. This might be totally his own choice, but I do wonder like you say if there's a reason he doesn't go home much!
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your advice :) I checked his scabs today and I'd say they're mildly better. I'm no vet but they're very small scabs but quite a lot of them so I think it could be to do with fleas. Also keeping an eye on his sore/dry skin on backs of his legs, which also seem to be a tad better.

They obviously do feed him, which I didn't dispute as he isn't underweight, but I have NO idea when he goes home! Their cars are gone when I leave in the morning, and I never see what time they return but it's late. He sleeps in a tree at the bottom of our garden (can't see him once he's in it, just see him climbing in bless him) and I'm pretty sure he's in there at night too. This might be totally his own choice, but I do wonder like you say if there's a reason he doesn't go home much!

Well at least someone is looking out for him, and he is getting fed. He's better off than feral cats (who have neither) for a start - look at it like that.