Even bigger news to come?

Comments

• M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    The_abbott wrote: »
    probably planning a repeat season on BBC 4 or something

Now that its almost certainly not missing episodes found I'm no longer bothered because thats the only news that could have been so big

I feel the same.

If it is JK Rowling writing, well I could not care less.
  • CraigpughCraigpugh Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is there a summary someone can produce of what DWO has said it is and is not, this 'news'?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, my attempt at a summary of what has been said by DWO-

Original post on GB said:
    - The non-new series related news, once confirmed, will be way bigger than todays 50th anniversary news. [referring to the news that tenant and piper were returning]

DWO clarified yesterday in this thread:

-DWO were given permission from the BBC to 'tease' that some exciting news was going to be announced that wasn't related to the 50th Anniversary news from a couple of Saturday's ago. We were led to believe the news would be announced that same Saturday, but, for whatever reason, that news has been delayed.

We cannot be drawn on *what* the news is, only that it is extremely exciting news that ties in with some of Moffat's comments from last year.

Have I missed anything?

If not, the key points seem to be that it is:
    - non new series related
    - will be bigger than the news of tenant and piper returning
    - is related to 'some of moffat's comments last year'

Any thoughts on what comments moffat made last year?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, I'll do it-

Cursory search of DS headlines with moffat's name in them, could the 'even more news to come' relate to one of these comments:

Dec 2012: ""They are immense, they are considerable," he promised. "[The episodes] will be full of tremendous surprises. But they wouldn't be surprises if I accidentally said them now, would they? "But I promise you, we're going to take over television. Trust me."

Also in December he said the Tardis was a scary place:
    "I thought we'd been getting progressively whimsical with the interior of the TARDIS," Moffat said at a screening of the episode last night (December 19).

"I started to think, 'Well, why is that? It's not a magical place. It's actually a machine'. And actually potentially, as you'll see more spectacularly later, quite a scary place sometimes. We make a lot of use of that."

He revealed that "... the finale, ...has got some serious fanboy-pleasing going on in it."

In August he did the old JNT female doctor tease: "It is a part of Time Lord lore that it can happen - a Time Lord could potentially turn into a woman. The more often it's talked about, the more likely it is to happen someday, I suppose."

Also in August, he was quoted on the topic of a movie: "I'm sure that we should do [a movie]," he said. "The one thing that I always keep saying... is it can't ever be allowed to interfere in any way with the television show - that is the mother-ship."

In April, he commented that "[the] companion is the show's "main character". The showrunner told BBC America that the story of the sci-fi drama is "always the story of the companion".

This came shortly after comments in March, when Moffat made comments about spin offs: "I'm not against it. Spinoff shows happen because you think 'That is so good, you should spin it off' - but personally I'm relatively busy," he explained. "[But] you never know," added the show's executive producer Caroline Skinner.

And that's most of the comments from the year 2012 i can find, there may be other things...
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Craigpugh wrote: »

- The non-new series related news, once confirmed, will be way bigger than todays 50th anniversary news. [referring to the news that tenant and piper were returning]

-DWO were given permission from the BBC to 'tease' that some exciting news was going to be announced that wasn't related to the 50th Anniversary news from a couple of Saturday's ago. We were led to believe the news would be announced that same Saturday, but, for whatever reason, that news has been delayed.

We cannot be drawn on *what* the news is, only that it is extremely exciting news that ties in with some of Moffat's comments from last year.

Have I missed anything?

- non new series related

nice summary and can I add that Paul Vanezis basically confirmed it wasn't missing episode related
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    nice summary and can I add that Paul Vanezis basically confirmed it wasn't missing episode related

Where did he do that ?

I saw him state no missing material had been returned to the beeb and he whined about DWO potentially spoiling the beebs announcement.
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Craigpugh wrote: »

Have I missed anything?

- non new series related

I think at one point he said: "I'm popping to the loo."

But I don't think that's very helpful here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From following the marketing across many films over the last few years the studios often say "there is more big news coming very soon", this very seldom means over the next few days. Quite possibly you wont hear anything over the next two weeks. It's just a phrase to make you think "oh I wonder if that big news will be revealed today" so whatever it is is always on your mind. "Coming soon" could easily be from now to a month away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Maybe could the news be a huge name Writer/Director ? Peter Jackson?
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    Andy_Gbo wrote: »
    Maybe could the news be a huge name Writer/Director ? Peter Jackson?

He's not as big as he was.

;)
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    I think at one point he said: "I'm popping to the loo."

But I don't think that's very helpful here.
    I apologise for the toilet humour but it would be quite funny if there was no loo roll.

"Back so soon?"( look of surprise)
    "No loo roll."(shakes head in disbelief)

:D
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    probably planning a repeat season on BBC 4 or something

Why bother? Apart from The Tenth Planet, The Mind of Evil and Terror of the Zygons, all of the other complete surviving classic stories are available on DVD.

On amazon, apart from the box sets, and the ones that have been released since Jan last year, the rest are available for less than a tenner each, with free delivery.

Also, people can easily rent the 'Who' DVDs from their local libraries, for less than £3 a story.

So, I don't think it's worth the bother, old stories being repeated on TV.

Some people may critisise me, by saying that it's better to have them shown on telly, rather than buying them off the net or renting from libraries, but in the long run, people that buy the stories, will have them to keep forever. Or to rephrase; for as long as the DVDs last in good condition, without playing up.

Plus, if the BBC do show old stories, they won't show all of them. There wouldn't be enough air time before November 23rd comes along, as there's other programmes that the BBC have to show, e.g. Eggheads, University Challenge and so on.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    I apologise for the toilet humour but it would be quite funny if there was no loo roll.

"Back so soon?"( look of surprise)
    "No loo roll."(shakes head in disbelief)

:D

And even that would make headlines.

Beeb fiscal mismanagement causes hygiene crisis!
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »

Might get some new people interested who had given no thought to watching the old episodes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the news is that the biography of John Nathan Turner is due out in May. He did play a big part in Doctor Who during the 1980s, as producer and head showrunner.

http://www.kasterborous.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/J-N-T-Cover.png

I shall most certainly be getting this next month, as I am a big collector of biographies and autobiographies of Doctor Who people, e.g. Terry Nation, Nicholas Courtney, Lis Sladen, David Tennant, Matt Smith, Catherine Tate, John Barrowman, and Matt Smith, who have had books about their lives released over the years.

I've even got Billie Piper's 2007 autobigraphy. It's an interesting read. I wouldn't be surprised if she releases another in 20 years time, as she's still fairly young.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the news is that the biography of John Nathan Turner is due out in May. He did play a big part in Doctor Who during the 1980s, as producer and head showrunner.

http://www.kasterborous.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/J-N-T-Cover.png

It's out now. I've read it. It's.... interesting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    It's out now. I've read it. It's.... interesting.

They must have changed the release date then. I'll try to go into my local Waterstones later today after 9am to see if they've got it. If not, I'll try to get one ordered. :D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They must have changed the release date then. I'll try to go into my local Waterstones later today after 9am to see if they've got it. If not, I'll try to get one ordered. :D:D

The only place selling it at the moment is here, I think: http://www.miwkpublishing.com/store/index.php?_a=product&product_id=30 Though they're now saying the first print run is sold out and it'll be May before there's more.

Be aware, it is deeply unpleasant in places.
  • TopovTopov Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    The only place selling it at the moment is here, I think: http://www.miwkpublishing.com/store/index.php?_a=product&product_id=30 Though they're now saying the first print run is sold out and it'll be May before there's more.

Be aware, it is deeply unpleasant in places.

I haven't read it myself, but by all accounts, the deeply unpleasant bits are a very small part of an utterly fascinating book, despite what the tabloid scum press would like you to believe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Topov wrote: »
    I haven't read it myself, but by all accounts, the deeply unpleasant bits are a very small part of an utterly fascinating book, in spite what the tabloid scum press would like you to believe.

Even aside from the sexual shenanigans, the end of the book, in which- spoiler- JN-T dies from alcoholism, is also a tough read.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M@nterik wrote: »
    Where did he do that ?

I saw him state no missing material had been returned to the beeb and he whined about DWO potentially spoiling the beebs announcement.

he posted on gallifrey base.
  • shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why bother? Apart from The Tenth Planet, The Mind of Evil and Terror of the Zygons, all of the other complete surviving classic stories are available on DVD.

On amazon, apart from the box sets, and the ones that have been released since Jan last year, the rest are available for less than a tenner each, with free delivery.

Also, people can easily rent the 'Who' DVDs from their local libraries, for less than £3 a story.

Some people may critisise me, by saying that it's better to have them shown on telly, rather than buying them off the net or renting from libraries, but in the long run, people that buy the stories, will have them to keep forever. Or to rephrase; for as long as the DVDs last in good condition, without playing up.

Plus, if the BBC do show old stories, they won't show all of them. There wouldn't be enough air time before November 23rd comes along, as there's other programmes that the BBC have to show, e.g. Eggheads, University Challenge and so on.

Why bother?:eek: The appeal of Doctor Who in the anniversary year extends well beyond serious fans. They wouldn't show repeats for the the people with their neat and tidy DVD collections. They would show them for people like my Dad, Sister, Grandma and many of my friends; people who would never dream of buying or renting a DVD but would enjoy watching a classic episode or two out of nostalgia or curiosity.

There's a whole tv viewing public out there!
  • JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shortcrust wrote: »
    Why bother?:eek: The appeal of Doctor Who in the anniversary year extends well beyond serious fans. They wouldn't show repeats for the the people with their neat and tidy DVD collections. They would show them for people like my Dad, Sister, Grandma and many of my friends; people who would never dream of buying or renting a DVD but would enjoy watching a classic episode or two out of nostalgia or curiosity.

There's a whole tv viewing public out there!

Also to introduce earlier versions of the show to new fans. There are plenty of Nu-Who fans out there who haven't seen much of the classic series and who maybe persuaded to buy the odd DVD if the right repeat is shown.

BBC2 showing The Daemons or Seeds of Doom might encourage greater sales of Mind if Evil or Seeds of Doom for example.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pauls a Liar! David Tennant lied for months claiming he wasent in the special when he really was.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pauls a Liar! David Tennant lied for months claiming he wasent in the special when he really was.

so you reckon its missing episodes after all?