Working Tax Credits

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
Forum Member
I filled in a form for working tax credits over 3 months ago. After I had not heard anything after 1 month, I called to see if there was any problem with my forms (I have never done this before). I was told everything was fine. I called again a month later, and was told the same thing and again the following month.

After being given the run around, I informed the customer services adviser I would be making a complaint, and I did so the same day.

I have now got a letter dated the day after I said I would make a complaint, from a compliance officer saying there is a problem and I need to send them a whole load of stuff before they can say yes or no.

When i checked online before starting this, I was told I might get £300.00. Thinking that this is not worth all the hassle (I had already decided not to claim the following year as there will be a lot of changes, including giving up my job) and having been told 3 times everything was filled in OK and no more information was needed, I decided to withdraw my application.

Can I withdraw my application? No decision has been made about my claim, and I don't fancy giving them the details of all my spending and jumping through hoops just for £300.00. I stay in a tenement building, so my address has multiple flats, and I think that might have confused them.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    You can withdraw your claim if it's in the pre-award status (before a decision has been made or before they have paid you any money). If they have wrote a letter asking for more information before they make a decision about your claim then they usually put a date on the letter as to when you must provide them with this information by. If they don't receive the information they have asked for by this date then they usually won't process your claim anyway.
  • rds60hrds60h Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Withdrawing your claim is exactly what they want you to do !!
    It is a tax relief that you are entitled to claim for so don't just give up !
    Do not communicate with them on the phone, do everything in writing and keep copies of everything (and keep them for at least 5 years, because they often try to claim, that you have supplied false information). When things are in writing you have tangible evidence,you cannot prove phone calls or what was said in them.
    You do not need to give them any details of what you spend ! what you do with your money is your business !
    They do need other information and make sure you answer all the questions truthfully (the forms seems to get longer and more ambiguous every year) if you do not know the answer to a question mark it as "do not know" and await an explaination of the question.
    It is the needy who are the most frightened by the claims forms and often are the ones that end up not claiming.
    If you have filled your form in honestly and they have a problem with it query them ! Ask "What is the problem?" and "How is it a problem ?" "What is wrong with it ?"
    If you have answered honestly there should be no problem.
    And Remember you are only claiming what you are entitled to !!!!