New Computer..Which One?

I have finally come to that day when I have to admit that I need a new computer!! .. :(
This one is so slow it is driving me up the wall .. and when I post it takes ages and ages to accept it and am often having to re-type it... :(
But how do I know which one to buy and who can I go to so I won't get ripped off or sold something with lots of things added that I really don't need!?! :confused:
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shirley222 wrote: »
    I have finally come to that day when I have to admit that I need a new computer!! .. :(
    This one is so slow it is driving me up the wall .. and when I post it takes ages and ages to accept it and am often having to re-type it... :(
    But how do I know which one to buy and who can I go to so I won't get ripped off or sold something with lots of things added that I really don't need!?! :confused:

Have you tried cleaning up your current PC to see if it can be improved? A fresh install of Windows can work wonders.

However, back to your question; what do you use your PC for, and what's your budget?
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Have you tried cleaning up your current PC to see if it can be improved? A fresh install of Windows can work wonders.

True. How old/what spec is your old machine?
  • shirley222shirley222 Posts: 176
    Forum Member

However, back to your question; what do you use your PC for, and what's your budget?

Had someone come and "reboot the driver" I think he said but it's very slow and more irritating..it often goes to "Page not available" quote or something like that and the I lose everything I have just done!
    I mainly use it for online shopping, forum chats and emails but nothing deeply tech at all... not that clever.
    My budget is sort of £500 - 600 .. could go a bit more tho'.
    mred2000 wrote: »
    True. How old/what spec is your old machine?

This comp is quite old as my service guy keeps reminding me. Spec..? No idea what that is.. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As far as I'm aware there's no such thing as a rebooting of a driver. Drivers can be reinstalled/reloaded but rebooting is not for them... If your service guy definitely said he'd rebooted a driver then I'm not sure he's spot on.

In all honesty, your needs are minimal and won't need £500-600 spending on a machine. Unless your machine is 5+ yrs old (as a starting point) it really could be cleaned up to do the job you need it to do.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For that money you could even get a very decent laptop a nice 17 inch one and be more portable to.
    If not you could get a really nice PC for that money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For that money you could even get a very decent laptop a nice 17 inch one and be more portable to.

Or spend £300-400 on a PC that does what she needs and spend the rest on a weekend break :D

Or, clean up the machine she has now for nowt and have a better holiday! :D

I'm not saying the OP needs a holiday, I'm just giving the options, lol
    Forum Member
    As far as I'm aware there's no such thing as a rebooting of a driver. Drivers can be reinstalled/reloaded but rebooting is not for them... If your service guy definitely said he'd rebooted a driver then I'm not sure he's spot on.

In all honesty, your needs are minimal and won't need £500-600 spending on a machine. Unless your machine is 5+ yrs old (as a starting point) it really could be cleaned up to do the job you need it to do.

Tbh I know he said he was doing something to the DRIVER so most prob me that has it wtong.
    This was given to me when my son updated his and that was at least 5 years ago.
    I did have someone come and supposedly clean this up but as he also sells comps I feel he has an agenda.

Thanks for the suggestion but I did have a laptop and hated it so got rid!.. :D
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mainly use it for online shopping, forum chats and emails but nothing deeply tech at all

You are an ideal candidate for a second-hand Apple Mac. :)
    It'll be a lot less bovver and more than adequate for your needs.
    Forum Member
    You are an ideal candidate for a second-hand Apple Mac. :)
    It'll be a lot less bovver and more than adequate for your needs.

And where does one get these from please? .. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And where does one get these from please? .. :D

A place I've used and would recommend is this one: http://www.thelaptopcentre.co.uk/apple-imac.html

You can also get refurb Macs direct from Apple but, with your budget, you'd be looking at a Mac Mini... No bad thing, I have one, but not everyone likes them.

OR, for a Windows PC, I recommend a Scan Value System: http://www.scan.co.uk/value-systems (check out the Home/Office section. My personal pref would be to start with a V10 but, even then, that's above spec for your actual needs and the lower specced machines would do a job...)
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'll be able to get a lot of PC for your £500 shirley rather than bothering with an old, secondhand machine with an unfamiliar operating system.

All I can advise you when you get your windows 8 PC is, get a touchscreen. It will let you use the ultra-simple metro interface really easily.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    and when I post it takes ages and ages to accept it and am often having to re-type it.
    but it's very slow and more irritating..it often goes to "Page not available" quote or something like that and the I lose everything I have just done!

This could also be down to a slow or intermittent Internet connection. it would be a shame to buy a new computer and have the same problem with it.

Do you have any other device (computer, tablet, phone) in the house which connects to the Internet?

Without a lot more info and some diagnostics, it will be difficult to tell whether the problem is with the computer, the Internet or a mixture of both.
    Forum Member
    A place I've used and would recommend is this one: http://www.thelaptopcentre.co.uk/apple-imac.html

You can also get refurb Macs direct from Apple but, with your budget, you'd be looking at a Mac Mini... No bad thing, I have one, but not everyone likes them.

OR, for a Windows PC, I recommend a Scan Value System: http://www.scan.co.uk/value-systems (check out the Home/Office section. My personal pref would be to start with a V10 but, even then, that's above spec for your actual needs and the lower specced machines would do a job...)

Thansk again for info but think I would rather go for a new one.
    TheBigM wrote: »
    You'll be able to get a lot of PC for your £500 shirley rather than bothering with an old, secondhand machine with an unfamiliar operating system.

All I can advise you when you get your windows 8 PC is, get a touchscreen. It will let you use the ultra-simple metro interface really easily.

Yes I think you are right... I was about to add that if £500 will only get a second hand I would rather go twice that for a new one... not that money is no object but I'm thinking of less probs for a while... QUITE a while!!
    And getting into all this new fangled stuff.. my first reaction is..Oooer!! Rather stick with theoldie stuff just like moi!! .. :D
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMHO it would be well worth having it looked at by someone who knows what they're doing, the problem being of course finding such a person.

If you decide to buy a new computer this article might help. Prices are in US dollars and the less expensive models that are probably more close to your requirements are at the end of the article (listed under the "Budget and mid-range notebooks" heading).
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/26/engadget-laptop-buyers-guide-spring-2013/
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    IMHO it would be well worth having it looked at by someone who knows what they're doing, the problem being of course finding such a person.

If you decide to buy a new computer this article might help. Prices are in US dollars and the less expensive models that are probably more close to your requirements are at the end of the article (listed under the "Budget and mid-range notebooks" heading).
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/26/engadget-laptop-buyers-guide-spring-2013/

That was my question initially John... plus that article is all about laptops apparently which I have already said I do not want.. Thanks anyway.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had someone come and "reboot the driver" I think he said but it's very slow and more irritating..it often goes to "Page not available" quote or something like that and the I lose everything I have just done!
    I mainly use it for online shopping, forum chats and emails but nothing deeply tech at all... not that clever.
    My budget is sort of £500 - 600 .. could go a bit more tho'.

This comp is quite old as my service guy keeps reminding me. Spec..? No idea what that is.. :D

Put it this way; if you get a new PC you will have to backup and transfer your data, plus wipe the data off the old PC before disposing of it.

On that basis, you have nothing to lose by doing a clean install (or possibly a factory restore) on the old PC.

Also, can you trust your 'service guy'? If he's telling you he has 'rebooted the driver' he's a muppet.
    Forum Member
    Put it this way; if you get a new PC you will have to backup and transfer your data, plus wipe the data off the old PC before disposing of it.

On that basis, you have nothing to lose by doing a clean install (or possibly a factory restore) on the old PC.

Also, can you trust your 'service guy'? If he's telling you he has 'rebooted the driver' he's a muppet.

It wasn't the same guy.. I had used a new young man who had just started up on his own who my sister had recommended. My usual man is the one who keeps on about buying a new PC but as he also makes and sells his own I was a bit dubious about it.
    However, all things considered, I think I may as well go the whole hog..so to speak. and get a new one and hope for the best, after all whoever I go to is going to have some agenda or other.. (sighs heavily!!.. :confused:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thansk again for info but think I would rather go for a new one.

The Windows machines from Scan are new, they're not second-hand. The V10 or V15 systems 'off the shelf' would be more than enough for you. And they come with Windows 7 as standard. BUT, as others have said, the problem might not even be your computer.
    It wasn't the same guy.. I had used a new young man who had just started up on his own who my sister had recommended.

He wasn't called Craig (cmorris for the uninitiated...) by any chance, was he? :D
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    He wasn't called Craig (cmorris for the uninitiated...) by any chance, was he? :D

I wonder how many of us thought the same thing...?
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Like some others have said if you can or get someone do a clean re-install it will probably work wonders and make it seem like a new pc. What is your Operating system?. If it's Vista and to some extent XP it can usually slow down considerably over time down to poor OS design.

For your needs though if you get a new computer then £300-400max should be more than enough. Go down to PC world and just try out a few different machines. Get someone to show you how to use the basics in windows 8 as it's not very intuitive IMO
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know you didn't want a laptop, but I know someone at work who bought one of these recently and she's very pleased with her purchase..so far. It's got a nice 17" screen, and is more than capable of tackling the tasks you have in mind.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/toshiba-satellite-c870d-11x-17-3-laptop-white-20759702-pdt.html

In my opinion, once you start talking about spending £600/700 on a new PC, probably more if you want a touch screen, then you might as well start looking in the direction of an iMac. I know others will disagree, but it's a lovely piece of kit, and the only thing that stops me buying one is the price. :)
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Come on guys, use your common sense. Shirley is 78 years old so don't be advising her to buy an Apple Mac or a Windows 8 machine or anything that involves a steep learning curve. She said she doesn't want a laptop so why are you recommending she buys one? Just keep it simple.

Shirley, (I'm not being ageist by the way) do you know what version of the Windows operating system you have on your current PC and apart from it being slow, are you familiar with using it?

Do you know anyone you can trust who could go with you to look for a new PC? Will you be wanting to keep the monitor and the keyboard you have now?

You don't need to spend an awful lot of money for a simple PC to do what you want, a couple of hundred pounds might suffice. I would suggest going to a local computer store accompanied by a friend with computer knowledge who can help you make the right choice. Even a new machine with the operating system you have now installed on it and all the software you are familiar with will work a lot faster. You don't need anything fancy.
    Forum Member

No idea what you mean sorry! :confused:
    evil c wrote: »
    Come on guys, use your common sense. Shirley is 78 years old ( ROFL) so don't be advising her to buy an Apple Mac or a Windows 8 machine or anything that involves a steep learning curve. She said she doesn't want a laptop so why are you recommending she buys one? Just keep it simple. Well said ther!!
    Shirley, (I'm not being ageist by the way) No offense taken :D
    do you know what version of the Windows operating system you have on your current PC and apart from it being slow, are you familiar with using it?
    It's a Windows XP
    Do you know anyone you can trust who could go with you to look for a new PC? Will you be wanting to keep the monitor and the keyboard you have now?

You don't need to spend an awful lot of money for a simple PC to do what you want, a couple of hundred pounds might suffice. I would suggest going to a local computer store accompanied by a friend with computer knowledge who can help you make the right choice. Even a new machine with the operating system you have now installed on it and all the software you are familiar with will work a lot faster. You don't need anything fancy.

No friends I'm afraid.. :cry:

Think I have decided to go to my original service guy.

At least I had the opportuniy to get some info which has helped me make up my mind.

Thanks guys.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    Come on guys, use your common sense. Shirley is 78 years old so don't be advising her to buy an Apple Mac or a Windows 8 machine or anything that involves a steep learning curve. She said she doesn't want a laptop so why are you recommending she buys one? Just keep it simple.

Shirley, (I'm not being ageist by the way) do you know what version of the Windows operating system you have on your current PC and apart from it being slow, are you familiar with using it?

I must have missed the age of the OP. But quite frankly, I don't think it matters. I'm a compulsive reader of consumer reviews, I trust them more than any of the online experts.
    The reason I mentioned an iMac was simply because they have fantastic feedback from customers of all ages. I'm not an Apple "fanboy", as I said they're out of my price range.

I thought (reading between the lines) that Shirley had decided to go for a new computer, and was already thinking of spending £500/600. But I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to go for anything with Win8 without a touch screen (those consumer reviews again) and that would push the price up to nearer a Mac.

Otherwise, yes..I agree with you. There are much cheaper solutions around, and it may even be possible to rejuvenate her old computer.

Best of luck Shirley, whatever you decide. :)