Options

Lady Gaga - Where did it all go wrong ?

Comments

• Options
    jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt the more hardcore base will. They are partly to blame for turning people off her. Only the other day one was claiming Applause was Gaga's Like A Prayer moment on the count that Like A Prayer hadn't been as successful as Madonna's previous efforts. Yet Like A Prayer topped the charts the world over. Unless the video does something magical Applause isn't even going to top the chart in any of the major markets. The comparison was stupid, null and void.

I laughed at that post. That poster claimed to be in his/her fourties and yet couldn't recognise how the music business has changed. Artists back in those days often release albums with the intention to produce multiple singles to last for a few years. "Slow cooking" was a common strategy. The poster claimed that Paula Abdul's Forever Your Girl outsold LAP in 1989 but actually Forever Your Girl was released back in 1988 and took a long time to gain popularity. The first single Knocked Out totally bombed but Straight Up turned the whole campaign around. Like A Prayer was actually a total knock-out as far as lead single campaign goes. If iTunes existed back then it would have sent it straight to no. 1.

In today's market, thanks to YouTube, iTunes, streaming and social media, if a lead single doesn't debut at no. 1 soon after its release then it is fair to conclude that something has gone very wrong. I don't see the point of having a "slow cook" strategy in today's market.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt the more hardcore base will. They are partly to blame for turning people off her. Only the other day one was claiming Applause was Gaga's Like A Prayer moment on the count that Like A Prayer hadn't been as successful as Madonna's previous efforts. Yet Like A Prayer topped the charts the world over. Unless the video does something magical then Applause isn't even going to top the chart in any of the major markets. The comparison was stupid, null and void.

Sadly I think that's correct. The only other fanbase I've noticed that seems to even tolerate them is Beyonce's.

Her hardcore fans have basically angered, and therefore aliented, fans of so many other artists. I quite like Gaga's music but I'm a Britney fan first and foremost and the 'Little Monsters' constant abuse towards her in 2011 really put me off. They just don't seem to realize Gaga's not even on Britney's level yet, let alone Madonna's.
  • Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I laughed at that post. That poster claimed to be in his/her fourties and yet couldn't recognise how the music business has changed. Artists back in those days often release albums with the intention to produce multiple singles to last for a few years. "Slow cooking" was a common strategy. The poster claimed that Paula Abdul's Forever Your Girl outsold LAP in 1989 but actually Forever Your Girl was released back in 1988 and took a long time to gain popularity. The first single Knocked Out totally bombed but Straight Up turned the whole campaign around. Like A Prayer was actually a total knock-out as far as lead single campaign goes. If iTunes existed back then it would have sent it straight to no. 1.

In today's market, thanks to YouTube, iTunes, streaming and social media, if a lead single doesn't debut at no. 1 soon after its release then it is fair to conclude that something has gone very wrong. I don't see the point of having a "slow cook" strategy in today's market.

It works for some artists and some tracks. Robin Thicke and 'blurred lines' would be a classic example of a song which people 'discovered' and liked, but then he was pretty much an unknown

For an already established star like Gaga, that won't work. People aren't out there 'discovering' her..everyone already knows her, and probably has an opinion on her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starsailor wrote: »
    It works for some artists and some tracks. Robin Thicke and 'blurred lines' would be a classic example of a song which people 'discovered' and liked, but then he was pretty much an unknown

For an already established star like Gaga, that won't work. People aren't out there 'discovering' her..everyone already knows her, and probably has an opinion on her.

Of course it's not to say that the campaign won't turn around but if I'm the record executive looking at the situation, I can guarantee that it ain't a good picture.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course it's not to say that the campaign won't turn around but if I'm the record executive looking at the situation, I can guarantee that it ain't a good picture.

The only way for this campiagn to turn around is for single #2 and the album it self to be of monummentally high quality. One of Applause's biggest downfalls is its just a poor lead single and song overall.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    The only way for this campiagn to turn around is for single #2 and the album it self to be of monummentally high quality. One of Applause's biggest downfalls is its just a poor lead single and song overall.

I'm surprised no one has claimed this to be the "buzz" single yet.:)
  • Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the situation really that bad? Why does EVERYTHING have be number 1 or be the best? If that were even possible there would be no point in ranking ANYTHING. Surely in terms of the record company, as long as Lady Gaga is bringing in a significant amount of money, this is good? Even if it's less money than before, why do they have to be so greedy and demand MORE MORE MORE. In terms of the public, why does Lady Gaga's lead single have to be innovative or a masterpiece? It's not either of those things but I think it is a very catchy song which would be fun to dance to. And I would rather listen to it than any of the few songs that have been played to death now in 2013. And i'm not saying "Applause" should be played to death. It would be nice if radio stations played new songs rather than clinging to a few songs they know the public like and playing them over and over and over EURGHDFHRH.

P.S I am not a Gaga fan.
  • Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    . In terms of the public, why does Lady Gaga's lead single have to be innovative or a masterpiece? .

Because that's what Gaga says it is... If she want to project herself in a certain way, and with a certain status, then people have the right to comment on that.

She's (and her fans) are her own worst enemy.
  • Options
    Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where did it all go wrong? She got crap...simple....and I was once a 'little monster'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her single is now at #3 on iTunes in USA and Katy Perry is outselling her 2:1.

It is significant how it is performing poorly because her last single sold an insane amount first week but this time she is barely pushing 200k first week. This projects badly for her album sales too, if only this many of her die hard fans have bought the single, how many will instead just buy the album, especially if they don't like the song?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the situation really that bad? Why does EVERYTHING have be number 1 or be the best? If that were even possible there would be no point in ranking ANYTHING. Surely in terms of the record company, as long as Lady Gaga is bringing in a significant amount of money, this is good? Even if it's less money than before, why do they have to be so greedy and demand MORE MORE MORE. In terms of the public, why does Lady Gaga's lead single have to be innovative or a masterpiece? It's not either of those things but I think it is a very catchy song which would be fun to dance to. And I would rather listen to it than any of the few songs that have been played to death now in 2013. And i'm not saying "Applause" should be played to death. It would be nice if radio stations played new songs rather than clinging to a few songs they know the public like and playing them over and over and over EURGHDFHRH.

P.S I am not a Gaga fan.

Everything is judged relative to expectations.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member

P.S I am not a Gaga fan.
    Because SHE is greedy and SHE demands MORE MORE MORE from her label. I've heard the "as long as the record label is pleased" argument many times before and I always find it flawed. It's ALL relative. If a country or hip hop artist sells as much as 'Applause' will by the end of the week, the label will be rejoicing, because this type of artists don't cost the label anything. GaGa on the other hand is a popstar and not only that, but the most expensive popstar in the world. She DEMANDS expensive videos, expensive performances, expensive promotion. When you have this kind of demands, you need to be bringing back profit. I bet that the sales of 'Applause' won't even make up for how much the video cost.

Just look at GaGa's LYRIC video in comparison to Katy's. GaGa's probably cost five times as much. Also, GaGa will debut her video on Good Morning America. These things cost. And if she wants that for herself, she needs to get them their money back. That's how it works.
  • Options
    d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    barneyboy wrote: »
    I think she overhypes herself, she should've stayed more underground. Syaing she was going to make the album of the decade, saying that the telephone video was going to be better than thriller, saying that her last tour had never been done before.

She should also stop announcing things so soon, people get bored 18 months later.

The girl can sing, she can play the piano, stick to what you are good at. Lay off the drugs and thinking you are the bees knees she would be a lot more likeable. If you're music is good enough you don't need to deny ripping off people, pretend to live in an egg and walk around in a meat dress.

Bjork can do it! but she isn't trying to be number 1, she does it because she's Bjork.

She actually said Telephone was going to be better than Thriller? :o Talk about setting yourself up for a fall
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    d56 wrote: »
    She actually said Telephone was going to be better than Thriller? :o Talk about setting yourself up for a fall

-cringes-

What little miss Gaga has to realise is that you don't become a legend/iconic by trying to be a legend/iconic.

She's so full of herself and delusional. It's a bit sad, to be honest.
  • Options
    Terry HesticlesTerry Hesticles Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    -cringes-

What little miss Gaga has to realise is that you don't become a legend/iconic by trying to be a legend/iconic.

She's so full of herself and delusional. It's a bit sad, to be honest.

Totally agree - Madonna didn't arrive at a podium in 1982 with her fresh-off-the-press vinyl copy of Everybody and declare to the world that she was going to be a gay icon. She was ruthless, selfish and tunnel-visioned but never fake.
  • Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because that's what Gaga says it is... If she want to project herself in a certain way, and with a certain status, then people have the right to comment on that.

She's (and her fans) are her own worst enemy.

Ok, I have never seen her portray Applause by itself that way. Normally she bigs up her albums as a whole and Artpop is not available yet.
    O.Michel wrote: »
    Because SHE is greedy and SHE demands MORE MORE MORE from her label. I've heard the "as long as the record label is pleased" argument many times before and I always find it flawed. It's ALL relative. If a country or hip hop artist sells as much as 'Applause' will by the end of the week, the label will be rejoicing, because this type of artists don't cost the label anything. GaGa on the other hand is a popstar and not only that, but the most expensive popstar in the world. She DEMANDS expensive videos, expensive performances, expensive promotion. When you have this kind of demands, you need to be bringing back profit. I bet that the sales of 'Applause' won't even make up for how much the video cost.

That is a good point. I am no expert on finance but I wouldn't think that things are that bad that they are actually losing money...just not making as much profit as they want to.
    Just look at GaGa's LYRIC video in comparison to Katy's. GaGa's probably cost five times as much. Also, GaGa will debut her video on Good Morning America. These things cost. And if she wants that for herself, she needs to get them their money back. That's how it works.

Well that's a bit of exaggeration, Gaga's is just like a home video, all filmed in one place. Katy's looks like it was designed by a very clever/skilled person/people. Gaga's could have been put together by a drunk transvestite for all we know..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    That is a good point. I am no expert on finance but I wouldn't think that things are that bad that they are actually losing money...just not making as much profit as they want to.

Well that's a bit of exaggeration, Gaga's is just like a home video, all filmed in one place. Katy's looks like it was designed by a very clever/skilled person/people. Gaga's could have been put together by a drunk transvestite for all we know..
    It's too early to talk about profit or the lack of thereof. The right time to bring this up will be 3 months or so after the album's release. All I'm saying is that I am pretty sure the label were hoping to get more profit from the single, because I imagine they invested quite a lot in the recording of the album, the making of the official music video(s) and the booking of high profile promotion. If the album sells 4 million copies or so, they'll get good enough profit (still less than they expected imo), but 'Applause' not being able to excell in any major markets is not a good sign.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course what ever GaGa does is going to "shock", that's the way it has been from the start.

Where I simply think she is going wrong, is by expecting too much from herself. She is human after all, and somewhere along the line the pure inspiration has become "watered down".

She once had clear focus and her music spoke from a place of clarity - now it all sounds like a complete chaos.

Having said that I still have love for the woman but wish she would take a holiday and stop the pressure train while it's full steam ahead.
  • Options
    zohar100zohar100 Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Of course what ever GaGa does is going to "shock", that's the way it has been from the start.

But isn't this part of the problem? She has this 'shocking' image which actually never felt very authentic, but carried on in that vein, and now people just aren't that interested in her. There's only so many times you can 'shock' people before the shock factor wears off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zohar it may be an issue in your eyes.

Although, I think Gaga is a naturally eccentric person which is brought out even more when coupled with music.

I don't see why anyone who likes her in the first place would wish to see her wackyness subdued.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gaga was 'constructed' as a challenging, edgy, provocative artist.

But there's no where for her to go now. We've seen her naked (put it away love), we've seen her in freaky dresses and everything.

But everything is now just a re-tread. There's nothing challenging or edgy or ground-breaking in either her act, or her music.

It's actually a lot more challenging to be provocative, but still be commercial. We've come a long way from Madonna and Like a prayer, or Sex....

Sex and nudity are mainstream, no one really cares about religion, everyone is nice to LGBT's now.... so unless you want to actually offend someone then what do you do?

Good post.
    She's lost her "mystique" but then that was bound to happen eventually. If she turned up to an awards show in a giant egg these days, people would just cringe and groan.
    I'm not sure what else she can do on the shock front.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zohar it may be an issue in your eyes.

Although, I think Gaga is a naturally eccentric person which is brought out even more when coupled with music.

I don't see why anyone who likes her in the first place would wish to see her wackyness subdued.

But it isn't eccentrcity a natuarally eccentric person doesn't care about being weird they just are. The pint with Gaga is it's an entirely fabricated concept that has run ot of steam. Couple that with diminishing quality what really si there left.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    But it isn't eccentrcity a natuarally eccentric person doesn't care about being weird they just are. The pint with Gaga is it's an entirely fabricated concept that has run ot of steam. Couple that with diminishing quality what really si there left.

I disagree, I think she is naturally eccentric but has got swept away with the hysteria and pressure.

As I said earlier, she needs to take a step back from the pressure and just write when its natural, alot of BTW and the new single is feeling forced and chaotic.

I am by no means bigging up her latest attempt at a single.
    I just have alot of respect and admiration for the woman.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I think the trouble with Gaga is the pretentiousness (I'll listen through my speakers if I want. You should be thankful I'm listening to you at all, not bitching about how I listen) and weirdness. Originality is fine, but Gaga goes OTT - I think the meat dress is the point at which she lost most people.
  • Options
    TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's on twitter screaming again about how good the video is. Is she for real? She is either seriously stupid or seriously deranged. Put the drugs away Gaga and get back to basics