Options

Tesco refund policy?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 951
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi
bought an Ipad 4th generation retina device from local Tesco store on the back of the receipt it says
"if you change your mind about your purchase, please retain your receipt and return it to the store with the product as sold with in 28 days. conditions apply to some products, please see in store for details. Your statuary rights are not affected"

Iv opened the box looked at the thing and don't know how to work it? can I get a refund or change it for something else of the same value?
I am not trying it on I genuinely do not know how to use it I opened the box and there are no instructions other than to turn it on? the thing is in mint condition other than i broke the seal?

anyone know if I can take it back under what ever reason than I opened the box to turn it on?

Thanks

edit iv not had it 4 days from new I just opened it?

Comments

• Options
    Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erm...turn it on and you'll see how easy it is to work. It'll guide you through connecting to wifi etc and then you can download apps and music to use as you wish. However, you'd have to go to Tesco and see what they say in store. They were a bit funny with me when I returned an item that was originally in a wrapper but had opened it. They let me exchange to the value of it in that case.
  • Options
    SlugerSluger Posts: 861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They took an opened Kindle back no problem.
  • Options
    Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need a computer with iTunes on it to make it work.
  • Options
    lymlym Posts: 2,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    bigpodbigpod Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jo09 wrote: »

You sure? (You don't)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    must be worth a try? i don't want cash back just wish i had a lap top with windows I know how to use? worst they can say is no? thanks DS members and your good advice. Ill try out they every little helps I know i would not take it back if it was open! but a billion pound company like Tesco just might?
    Thanks everyone for your input much appreciated *bow*

Tony
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Pretty sure you don't anymore. Itunes is no longer needed for backing up and everyday use etc. but some apps still use it.
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck but why did you buy it or hope to do with it in the first place?
    Surely you must have done some research - no-one spends that sort of money on something they have no idea how to work or on a whim

Reading the manual linked to in post 5 will be a great help and, hopefully, give you confidence
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »
    Good luck but why did you buy it or hope to do with it in the first place?
    Surely you must have done some research - no-one spends that sort of money on something they have no idea how to work or on a whim

Reading the manual linked to in post 5 will be a great help and, hopefully, give you confidence
    From what iv read its straight out of the box set up? from my experience its far from it? I need to set up accounts with apple ID that does not recognize my password? or email? to even send a confirmation to it? totally blew my mind for something that's got no instructions out of the box? turn it on the thing does not even know my email or password? I have used for years? telling me its incorrect?
    p.s
    Im not saying it's a bad product i just don't know wtf im doing with it?
  • Options
    HarumphHarumph Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sure
    sure
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, you don't. I installed iTunes because I thought I needed it, but you can download apps straight to the device.
    a1974 wrote: »
    From what iv read its straight out of the box set up? from my experience its far from it? I need to set up accounts with apple ID that does not recognize my password? or email? to even send a confirmation to it? totally blew my mind for something that's got no instructions out of the box? turn it on the thing does not even know my email or password? I have used for years? telling me its incorrect?
    p.s
    Im not saying it's a bad product i just don't know wtf im doing with it?

Would you care to identify which of those are statements and which are questions?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    No, you don't. I installed iTunes because I thought I needed it, but you can download apps straight to the device.

Would you care to identify which of those are statements and which are questions?
    I bought the device thinking it would be easy to set up?

I bought the thing to watch youtube videos and browse the web and email (general web stuff) = none of the things I can do? it will not except me or my email account/password?? :confused:
    Im in my next door nabors house using his connection to get help
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been a while since I set up my ipad and in those days it required plugging into a computer to set up but even then all it needed was an Apple ID setting up to use the app store. No emails or passwords were required for using the web and YouTube... I've no idea what you're trying to do...

If you actually want help, there is a specific section on DS for ipads and tablets...
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I bought the thing to watch youtube videos and browse the web and email (general web stuff) = none of the things I can do? it will not except me or my email account/password?? :confused:
    It's asking for an apple ID and password not your email address and password. Why would you think it would know your email address and password?

Perhaps try and google how to set it up or you could search YouTube for videos. The reason if doesn't have paper instructions is because it doesn't need them, all the instructions are there on the screen
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you even have your own internet connection/Wifi?

Or is it an iPad that comes with 3/4G?
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,170
    Forum Member
    Funny that, I set my mums iPad up in the Apple store itself, no computer needed.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You bought an iPad without knowing anything at all about it? Wow. Anyway as others have said you power it on and it walks through set up.
  • Options
    Admiral StarAdmiral Star Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You don't now. You can use it out of the box.
  • Options
    Admiral StarAdmiral Star Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you've got BT broadband then why aren't you using your own connection? You must have wireless. Bit odd to just look at a device and decide you can't use it. Probably not the best time to buy one as they are being updated in October. The newer ones are meant to be lighter and a lot thinner.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have an apple store near you? if so go in to one and have a play with one, if not do you know anyone else with a tablet, or smartphone if you do, I am pretty sure they could set it up for you. But really it is a case of turning it on, set up your wireless network, and then set up an itunes account.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is easy to set up. Just switch it on and answer the questions.

If you have an iTunes account (which involves slightly more than simply installing iTunes) then use the username and password from there.

If you haven't, dream up an iPad username and password.

The username will form the first part of an email address, and you'll use the password to authorise 'purchases' from the App Store. I put it in quotes because the word includes free Apps.

Once you iPad has been initiallised, look at the "Settings" app, and you can input details of the email accounts you want the iPad to access.

As far as apps are concerned, I find it easier to search for them in iTunes, and make a note of the exact names of any I want. Then use the iPad to go to the app store and install them.

If you install the ebooks app, one of the free books is the User Guide.
  • Options
    scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt more or less the same after installing Windows 8. :)
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP wants to return it not get a free lecture!

http://www.tesco.com/direct/help/returns-policy.page

This is Tesco Direct but it's probably the same as instore when it comes to "change of mind" returns. It says tablets can be returned if you change your mind.

Just make sure the iPad is boxed with everything that came with it and take it back to the store with the receipt.

Tesco are usually very good with returns.
  • Options
    Joe_Bloggs4Joe_Bloggs4 Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I have just had a phone call from a friend in Cardiff. The problem is that he cannot get onto the Internet with his 3 dongle, nor will the top-up code be accepted.

Closer inspection reveals that he has been sold an EE top up voucher and as far as I know EE is 4G.

I know that a lot of retail outlets are "difficult" about giving refunds on top up vouchers as they assume that the buyer is trying to pull a scam. Has anyone any experience on mis-sold sound-alikes? (EE and Three)

In future I think the bloke will need to give them a three-fingered salute to explain what he wants as these days a lot of young people go deaf prematurely as a result of listening to loud music on headphones.