Proms on TV 26 August 4pm

Dr2PatDr2Pat Posts: 420
Forum Member
Just checked the listings on my freeview, The Doctor Who 2013 Prom is on BBC One Monday 26th August and is on for 75 minutes from 4pm until 5.15pm.

Can anyone tell me how long did the actual prom last? I may be wrong but I am sure it was a lot longer than 75 minutes.

Comments

• joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listened to it on the radio.. I think it was about that length. Wasn't as good as the first two proms though IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    joe_000 wrote: »
    Wasn't as good as the first two proms though IMO.

Well considering the music has improved greatly since the RTD era I find that statement a bit daft. There was a nice mix of the DT/ MS/ CE themes and for the first time a classic era section. It was staged as well as the two previous proms too.
  • Tillymint82Tillymint82 Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylob49 wrote: »
    Well considering the music has improved greatly since the RTD era I find that statement a bit daft. There was a nice mix of the DT/ MS/ CE themes and for the first time a classic era section. It was staged as well as the two previous proms too.

Really because I think it's gotten horrible! So sterile and clinical! Music by numbers! No emotional depth at all

'The doctors theme' touched my soul in such a profound way and everything since has been poor!
  • owlycherriesowlycherries Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4pm? That's a bit early :S
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    4pm? That's a bit early :S

It's Bank Holiday though, so loads of folk will be off - that's probably the thinking behind putting it on so early.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be nice to have something to watch fill the gap before the 50th. Hopefully we will see a trailer soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Be nice to have something to watch fill the gap before the 50th. Hopefully we will see a trailer soon.

I wouldn't be surprised if the first time it's aired is immediately after the Prom. Fingers crossed.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    It's early but I'll watch it.
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really because I think it's gotten horrible! So sterile and clinical! Music by numbers! No emotional depth at all

'The doctors theme' touched my soul in such a profound way and everything since has been poor!

What do you mean by music by numbers? I am guessing it is a way of learning the piano without reading music, if so how do you know they are using this method? (which I doubt because I believe they have pianists who can read music). Also how does this method suddenly make music have no emotional depth? Especially when there are other instruments used not just a piano.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    bp2 wrote: »
    What do you mean by music by numbers? I am guessing it is a way of learning the piano without reading music, if so how do you know they are using this method? (which I doubt because I believe they have pianists who can read music). Also how does this method suddenly make music have no emotional depth? Especially when there are other instruments used not just a piano.

"By the numbers" means according to a formula, i.e. obtained by going through steps one-by-one. I believe Tillymint82 is referring to the composition rather than the performance, although I could be wrong.
  • Tillymint82Tillymint82 Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mean that the latest pieces have all been just method! There's no heart in it
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Murray Gold has gone from strength to strength, a highlight this year being The Rings of Akhaten score. He is brilliantly on top of his game and has never been more inspired.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .......are we less than a couple of hours away from the 50th trailer then?
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .......are we less than a couple of hours away from the 50th trailer then?

No. :p

Start thinking that way now so there's no need for outrage when it doesn't arrive. If it does, happy days! :D
  • Don't BlinkDon't Blink Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    yeah don't they usually announce these things,like a press release saying after the proms there'll be a trailer etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    15 ish minutes to go! Been looking forward to this for weeks. I loved listening to it on the radio, but it's not the same experience when you can't see anything.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah don't they usually announce these things,like a press release saying after the proms there'll be a trailer etc

They did however tell people to watch a rerun of a Sherlock episode until the very end when the teaser for series 3 was shown last month.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Christopher Eccleston is a...whoops, sorry. wrong thread. :o

Really looking forward to this as enjoyed the Radio 3 broadcast. Always lovely to see the reactions of the fans, especially the kids. Enjoy everybody. (Can't watch and comment at the same time. I'm a bloke. :p )
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They did however tell people to watch a rerun of a Sherlock episode until the very end when the teaser for series 3 was shown last month.

Maybe they'll tell us at the beginning to watch til the very end! I hope so. :)
    I think Christopher Eccleston is a...whoops, sorry. wrong thread. :o

Really looking forward to this as enjoyed the Radio 3 broadcast. Always lovely to see the reactions of the fans, especially the kids. Enjoy everybody. (Can't watch and comment at the same time. I'm a bloke. :p )

Naughty! (love it) :D:D

I agree - watching the kids is magic. :)

And nobody can watch and comment at the same time. They just comment, mostly along the lines of "What happened? I don't understand". :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Atlantis trailer :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just me or are they all wearing really orange make up...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am the Doctor :D:D
  • 16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexy Fish Vampires :D
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I repeat, it's on the telly.:D
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bizarre seeing this on tv after being there, the look on the kids faces is amazing....:D