Options

Beard or no beard?

Comments

• Options
    ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay I've been beaten IDGAF

Lets just see how big this 'trend' will get and how long it'll last.

Well, if you'd read the first article I linked - instead of just looking at the pictures - you'll have seen that this trend began in 2005 and has likely now reached a peak.

Considering the stats that beard trimmer sales have risen by 57%, I'd say that's fairly big.

Seriously though, WHY are you so loathe to admit this is a trend? What does it matter to you?
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am going to laugh at you on this very thread in ten years time even if that means I have no life.

What in balls blood are you talking about?

Most fashion trends, in the real world, tend to last 5-10 years, because most people don't change their look/wardrobe overnight. You see it in hair, short length, jeans design, fabrics, colours, everything.

Fashion is not "seasonal", no matter what the people trying to make you buy things pretend. There's a reason whole decades have "looks" and palettes.
  • Options
    BreadstixBreadstix Posts: 10,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shaved head and beard is another combination I love.

Richard from Guess Who will be pleased
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Breadstix wrote: »

:D

I suspect the "shaved head and beard" is more about a pragmatic approach to balding, and one that often works, if you don't want to just look like Ian in Accounts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    What in balls blood are you talking about?

Most fashion trends, in the real world, tend to last 5-10 years, because most people don't change their look/wardrobe overnight. You see it in hair, short length, jeans design, fabrics, colours, everything.

Fashion is not "seasonal", no matter what the people trying to make you buy things pretend. There's a reason whole decades have "looks" and palettes.

The same fashion shows but from 2005 and still no sign of beards.

http://www.style.com/fashionshows/complete/S2005MEN-DGABBANA
    http://www.style.com/fashionshows/complete/S2005MEN-VALENTIN
    http://www.style.com/fashionshows/complete/S2005MEN-CKLEIN
    http://www.style.com/fashionshows/complete/S2005MEN-BURBERRY
    http://www.style.com/fashionshows/complete/S2005MEN-VERSACE
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

Hahah :D

(the hours my sister and I spent playing that. If you had a woman with glasses you were pretty much screwed)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :D

I suspect the "shaved head and beard" is more about a pragmatic approach to balding, and one that often works, if you don't want to just look like Ian in Accounts.

Perhaps but it's quite popular amongst the gay bear community anyway. (I have a thing for shaved heads anyway so maybe I'm biased) :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard doesn't float my boat by the way!

Beards and stubble all the way though :p
  • Options
    ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And? What's your point? That people who's job it is to note and comment on trends in fashion and grooming are all completely wrong? Tell them, not us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We've already explained to you why your random catwalk photos have virtually no baring on what's a mainstream fashion trend in the real world, but it doesn't seem to be getting through to you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Richard doesn't float my boat by the way!

Beards and stubble all the way though :p

Mine either. The beard is too long and he's got a massive fringe of hair on his otherwise bald head. Not a good look, IMO.
  • Options
    The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beard, I look so much better with a beard.
  • Options
    laurieloulaurielou Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, according to you and pootamowhatever his name is there is.

Me and someone else on this thread haven't noticed the trend at our unis. I guess we must be lying...

Beards are all over London (but esp E. London) right now and have been for ages .Hipster beards on hipsters. Short back and sides, buttoned up shirts, usually.

Occasionally with topknot as well. I draw the line at that...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We've already explained to you why your random catwalk photos have virtually no baring on what's a mainstream fashion trend in the real world, but it doesn't seem to be getting through to you.

Those catwalk pictures are not random, the face of John Lewis is!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

WTF are you on about now?.

No one, but you it seems, gives a flying fig about boys barely able to grow bum fluff who strut down a catwalk.

I've already said, I very much doubt anyone (other than you and your weird obsession with them) could name a male model today. They have gone back to being nothing more than walking mannequins, as they were before the whole supermodel phenomena, and even then the majority of supermodels were actually female anyway.

Catwalk models are not trendsetters, the designers whose clothes they wear might be, but not the models themselves.

You're argument is rather daft.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No one, but you it seems, gives a flying fig about boys barely able to grow bum fluff who strut down a catwalk.

I've already said, I very much doubt anyone (other than you and your weird obsession with them) could name a male model today. They have gone back to being nothing more than walking mannequins, as they were before the whole supermodel phenomena, and even then the majority of supermodels were actually female anyway.

Catwalk models are not trendsetters, the designers whose clothes they wear might be, but not the models themselves.

Virtually the only models 95% of people would know are David Gandy and that blonde guy who did the CK ads in the 90s.... the former who now has a 5mm scruff, and the latter a foot long Viking beard.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My boyfriend has stubble and I love it. I'd also like it if he grew a beard (and am so glad it's on trend) but he doesn't want to. I much prefer him with facial hair than without.

I think almost all men look good with stubble. Many men also look good with a well trimmed beard, as I've noted since the trend came in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The face of John Lewis sells one metric crapton more clothing than even the biggest high fashion label.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    My boyfriend has stubble and I love it. I'd also like it if he grew a beard (and am so glad it's on trend) but he doesn't want to. I much prefer him with facial hair than without.

I think almost all men look good with stubble. Many men also look good with a well trimmed beard, as I've noted since the trend came in.

What do you mean "on trend"? LOOK AT THIS RANDOM PHOTO! THERE ISN'T A BEARD IN IT! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member

I never said catwalk models were trendsetters.

Pootmatoot claimed beards were the trend in the fashion industry so I just showed him that it was not. No now, not 10 years back.
  • Options
    ScarletStarletScarletStarlet Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My bloke's a beardy and I love it. I fancy him rotten with it. I fancy him rotten without it, right enough, but I just love it on him. He keeps it nice and neat, but I wouldn't like it if he got all George Michael about it and shaved it into that horrible exact line thing (I know what I'm talking about)

He doesn't have a beard because it might be trendy though. He has a beard because he's a lazy arsed bugger who can't be bothered shaving every day :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Pootmatoot claimed beards were the trend in the fashion industry so I just showed him that it was not. No now, not 10 years back.

You seem to think that "the fashion industry" is a few selective high end brands. That's about 0.001% of "the fashion industry".

It's even dafter because what those brands do is *never*, by definition, "on trend", because they're aiming to hit the probable trends in the next year or two, not today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You seem to think that "the fashion industry" is a few selective high end brands. That's about 0.001% of "the fashion industry".

It's even dafter because what those brands do is *never*, by definition, "on trend", because they're aiming to hit the probable trends in the next year or two, not today.

You said - 'Of course there's a massive trend in fashion!'

Now its pick and choose right? Even if you're just talking about mainstream brands then which other brands have hired bearded models except John Lewis?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

You think the fashion industry is only the high end designers, it isn't, it is much, much larger.

No one cares what the models look like, they are interested in the clothes they wear, that's all.

When it comes to setting trends, like beards, haircuts, tattoos and other such things it most certainly isn't the boyish, pencil thin models on catwalks that set those trends.

It's the likes of David Beckham, Cheryl Cole, Daniel Craig, Ben Affleck, Robert Downey Jnr, Akon, Lady Gaga etc. etc. etc. that set such trends. In other words, exactly the people many of us have been saying. Film stars, footballers, TV stars, pop stars, even soap stars too. They are all far more influential in setting trends in such things than catwalk models.

If Kate Middleton for example, decided to get a Diana type bob hairstyle you can pretty much guarantee that would become a trend. Likewise, the style of clothing she wears sets a trend, and can massively increase a labels sales far, far, far more than some model on a catwalk can do.

If Prince Willie decided to grow a weird, Bin Laden type beard you can again pretty much guarantee it would become a weird trend.