Options

New Tricks Series 10

Comments

• Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    Tamsin is 42, can't recall if it was said Sasha was 40 or in her early 40s, but even if she is only 40 that would mean she was 21 when the eldest was born.

When Dan was winding Gerry up about Sasha he said she was '40ish'

If she's the same age Sandra was when she took over then she'd be 42.
    Probably a vague 'early 40's' til we ever find out her age like we did Sandra - who was 14 when her Dad died in 1975.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought that too. I thought she would have said they were in school

Her details had been revealed before she appeared - depending where you look. That she was married to someone in the job and had two kids at university.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Most cop shows now seem to rely on CCTV, and can follow the villain from breakfast to bed.:rolleyes:

Just following the way that the police work now.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it...

Although....I personally don't think that Sasha looks old enough to have children of uni age.. .

Tamzin Outhwaite is 42 so easily old enough to have children at university.
  • Options
    AligatorCatAligatorCat Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Flukie wrote: »
    I think Tamzin's 42 isn't she? And it's a modern thing, really. A lot of women in their 40's these days don't look old enough to be the mother of teenagers at university so that's not really out of place.
    Sasha obviously started young!

Our local radio station was mentioning yesterday what was on 'tonight' and he mentioned New Tricks and said he didn't think Dennis Waterman sang the theme song anymore 'does he? I don't know'
    Clearly someone who doesn't actually watch New Tricks!

I am pretty sure it is Dennis Waterman who sings the theme tune (am always reminded of the Little Britain sketch there as well..!)

Perhaps Sasha did start young, but I thought they would have alluded to it .. that Ned and Sasha were childhood sweethearts etc...

Not a criticism... just a comment...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am pretty sure it is Dennis Waterman who sings the theme tune (am always reminded of the Little Britain sketch there as well..!)

Perhaps Sasha did start young, but I thought they would have alluded to it .. that Ned and Sasha were childhood sweethearts etc...

Not a criticism... just a comment...

Course Dennis sings it! I would've thought everyone who watches NT knows that. It was the bloke on the radio who, as I said, obviously doesn't watch NT if he had to ask whether he still DID sing it.

Course, in the pilot it was a different song he sang at the end - End of the Line - which was sometimes used in the first series as well, I think.
  • Options
    AligatorCatAligatorCat Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Course Dennis sings it! I would've thought everyone who watches NT knows that. It was the bloke on the radio who, as I said, obviously doesn't watch NT if he had to ask whether he still DID sing it.

Course, in the pilot it was a different song he sang at the end - End of the Line - which was sometimes used in the first series as well, I think.

Aha!!

My fault for reading your earlier post incorrectly, Flukie!! (am still a bit new to this..) :o

(although I suppose the furtive typing I am doing at work probably isn't helping either...) :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aha!!

My fault for reading your earlier post incorrectly, Flukie!! (am still a bit new to this..) :o

(although I suppose the furtive typing I am doing at work probably isn't helping either...) :D

lol. Quite alright, you're forgiven. :D

New tricks wouldn't be the same without Dennis singing that theme song!
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member

I love the theme tune, I wish they'd released a full version :o
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is Ned definitely the father of the children at university, or could he be their stepfather?

That's very interesting - I didn't watch the pilot when it was first broadcast, but I have always found the theme song reminds me very much of End of the Line! I do wish they would get back to having the theme song at the end of (almost) each episode.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very, very true; the same applies to Minder, too.:)
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane_Smith wrote: »
    I I don't like that a lot of the lighthearted nature of the show seems to have gradually drained away over the last couple of series. There's still funny bits but the tone seems to have changed and it's becoming just another cop show.
    I think that's the problem. The humour and banter between the previous 3 characters with Sandra which kept the show alive has all but evaporated. The 2 new characters Dan and Steve have so far been unimpressive. I'm particularly surprised at Denis Lawson as I've seen him in enough good roles over the years, but so far in NT he's been fairly nondescript.Too early yet to judge Tasmin Outhwaite on the basis of one fairly weak episode, but I can't see where NT is heading unless they improve the scripts and storylines which were deteriorating even before the big changes.
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,955
    Forum Member
    Overall, I'd give this episode pass marks. It must have been quite a difficult story to write, and trying to deal with a new boss (replacing a legend) and a case all in 50 odd minutes was asking a lot all in one go. Tamzin wasn't as I expected she was going to be; thankfully she wasn't too fluffy and thanks to the tough ending she's not got some 'stuff' to deal with and that can only give the character more depth. I wonder if she's got enough fire in her to give the boys a proper rollicking when needed though; maybe that's just me missing Sandra's epic tantrums already ;)

Also quite interesting for me was that when Sandra got the job she was a Detective Superintendent and was assigned UCOS as a bit of a punishment for the tits-up op where she shot the doggie. Sasha seems to have been promoted into UCOS but is still only a Detective Chief Inspector i.e. a rank below Sandra. In my mind it's Roy Mitchell's way of subtly saying: she's not Sandra, not at Sandra's level and not yet as good as Sandra; she has it all to prove.

Now, allow me a grumpy old man moment of annoyance: I know and accept I'm getting old, and I know the world is ever changing, but I really hope that's the last we see of Sasha's husband. I can tolerate Strickland as a DAC because he brings some gravitas to his role/position and he's older than he looks, but Sasha's husband (was it Ned Hancock?) looked like more like a college drop-out than a command rank police officer.
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,955
    Forum Member
    Me neither, probably decades. He always reminded me of Peter Sellers when he was younger. I also remember him from a comedy in the 1970s, when I was a child, called 'Keep it in the Family'. He was a cartoonist who, for some reason, always drew his characters while wearing some kind of hand puppet. :D

Ah! Glad I'm not going totally mad! http://ladydontfallbackwards.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/cover044.jpg

Thank you! I was desperately trying to remember where I'd seen his face before.
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Tamzin Outhwaite and feel she's a pretty good replacement for Amanda Redman. But the comedy brought to NT by Brian and Esther is sorely missed. The charm of NT for me used to be the dynamic between a bunch of unruly old codgers, and a feisty woman who just about keeps them under control. The private lives of the old codgers was half the fun. Now there's hardly any comedy at all, two of the blokes are barely old enough to count as retired, and the private lives of the two new boys are a bit heavy and uncomedic. Now we've got a Guv'nor whose back story is also not a lot of laughs.

NT writers, you need to lighten up!
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    Now, allow me a grumpy old man moment of annoyance: I know and accept I'm getting old, and I know the world is ever changing, but I really hope that's the last we see of Sasha's husband. I can tolerate Strickland as a DAC because he brings some gravitas to his role/position and he's older than he looks, but Sasha's husband (was it Ned Hancock?) looked like more like a college drop-out than a command rank police officer.

I suspect that he will keep cropping up from time to time trying to win her back but seeing as how she removed her wedding ring she will have affairs with other men which will annoy him. So he will keep putting a spanner into the department works trying to discredit her. That's my theory anyway.
  • Options
    GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think some of the programme's apparent loss of humour is probably down to the fact that we haven't really got to know some of the characters involved in the 'gags' yet. When the guys threw themselves to the ground when the bomb exploded and Sasha didn't even flinch, my brain registered the fact that it was supposed to be funny (and I suppose it was, in it's way), but the most I could manage was the briefest mental 'lol'. If the same scene had featured Sandra, Jack, Brian and Gerry, I'd probably have laughed out loud or at the very least it would have raised a grin.

I suppose the characters haven't really bedded in with the actors who play them yet either, and each character will respond more naturally to the others the more they interact together. I'll give it time.

However, I think the writers would do better in getting us to relate to Sasha if they gave her just slightly more emotion and made her slightly less cool. I can't picture Amanda playing the scene mentioned above without her flinging in a 'Give me strength!' expression as the lads rose to their feet (although I realise that Sasha barely knows the team and probably doesn't feel quite as ground down by them yet :) )

The unruffled 'Darling, you're not wearing your uniform!' was probably meant to have a humorous edge to it too, but in a situation as emotion-laden as finding your husband in bed with someone else, it just came across as silly. I can't imagine Sandra (or anyone else!) trotting out that line in such circumstances. I'd have felt a lot more for Sasha if she'd just said with feeling 'You barsteward! (or words to that effect) before leaving to break down in the corridor. She just needs making a bit more human - more warm, less cool.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After saying that it not as good, I really enjoyed this episode and the new boss, lovely last few lines, as she turned gave a cheeky grin and walked away..
    yes it is different, but I it is working for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    taurus_67 wrote: »

I'm not a grumpy old man and I agree completely!
    But as I've said before, I think the last scene possibly showed us that we will NOT be seeing much of her husband (he's not in next week to end the series) if anything at all.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brian's last appearance next week:(
  • Options
    Hot ButterflyHot Butterfly Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Is it only me but if you closed your eyes Sasha's voice could easily be taken as being Sandra's?

I thought exactly the same. I'm still enjoying New Tricks as much as ever. Some very good shows and some not so good but all of them still too good to miss.
  • Options
    comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Brian's last appearance next week:(

Not sure about that ????
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    TrishaS wrote: »
    Well, I was one of the cynical ones that thought she (Tamzin) wouldn't work and I have to say I was completely wrong :eek:

I thought she was great and brought a much needed breath of fresh air to the programme. She was great :)
    She certainly was - but I didn't like the opening scene before the titles, just too silly for me. But the rest was great.

Loved that Jazz music too.:cool:
  • Options
    Ben_PainterBen_Painter Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    I don't know if this has already been brought up, but what happened to that supposed sex scene between Holly and her boyfriend? Not that I'm exactly devastated, but it was hyped up as the first ever 'disabled character sex scene' in any TV drama, so was it just some kind of publicity stunt?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't know if this has already been brought up, but what happened to that supposed sex scene between Holly and her boyfriend? Not that I'm exactly devastated, but it was hyped up as the first ever 'disabled character sex scene' in any TV drama, so was it just some kind of publicity stunt?

That's exactly what I was wondering yesterday when Holly was on screen. She's not in the cast next week, so what happened to it?!

Just to refresh, this is from August 28th:

20-year-old actress Storme Toolis appears as Nicholas Lyndhurst's on-screen daughter Holly Griffin in the long-running BBC1 drama New Tricks, the new series of which started last night.

Her character is young, feisty, opinionated and confident. A typical teenager, she's a law student who loves boys and who has a boyfriend.

Why is this last part noteworthy? Well, because both Storme and Holly have cerebral palsy and use a wheelchair.

She has recently filmed one of the few (if not the only) sex scenes on UK television involving a disabled character where their disability is not the focus of the scene - her embarrassment at being caught by her dad is.

"I think [the scene] is extremely important," she said on Radio 4's Woman's Hour.

Very odd.
    Unless it happens next week and we don't see either her or it!
    In fact it MUST happen next week if it exists, surely?!

Another mystery is that Holly is described as 'loving boys' and that she has a boyfriend. Neither have been hinted at in the appearances she's made cos she's had very little to say about herself.
    :confused: