The Escape Artist, BBC1&HD 9pm, 29 Oct, 5, 12 Nov

Comments

• 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    I think the escape artist is the DT character - there was some allusion early on to a (or the) defendent needing Paul Daniels - ie, a magician - whereas what was needed was an Houdini... DT. Or maybe I imagined that exchange?!

No, you're right, but I think the twist might be that the defendant also escapes.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite possibly, 1fab... or (and this is only me surmising) perhaps DT kills Foyle and escapes justice himself?
    nate1970 wrote: »
    Toby Kebbell was absolutely frightening as Foyle, kudos to him.
    He was excellent - and I thought he had a slight look of Fred West about him - but with better hair.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duplicate post
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was hoping for a bit more from the plot, which was well-worn. Maybe it takes an unexpected turn next week?

Yes, very scary smile. I would definitely make sure to shake his hand if offered.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    catsitter wrote: »
    You're right, they did say that.

Something I'm confused about - I thought that when David Tennant and the solicitor were asking Liam Foyle questions near the beginning, he was saying things like, "We thought the blood on our shoes was from a dead squirrel", "We do the washing on a Tuesday", etc. So who is "we"? Did he have an accomplice, or does he have multiple personalities / imaginary friends?

Gosh yes, I thought about that then promptly forgot. Somebody's got to feed those birds when he's banged up
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Indeed. Can't see why people rave about Tennant, he's nothing special imo. But Kebbell is terrific. Look at his performance as Rob Gretton in "Control"*, equally convincing but what a contrast.

*(contains swearing!)
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thinking about the stuff in court that DT used to get the case thrown out, I can't understand why the computer expert was giving evidence about which websites Liam Foyle's credit card was used to access? I would have thought they would have one witness who would testify about the credit card stuff, and another one who would testify about what was actually found on the computer? I don't see how the computer expert could also be the credit card expert?

In any case, there should have been someone who could point out that Liam Foyle could have accessed the websites from some other device, even if he really did only have one computer.
  • AligatorCatAligatorCat Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    You're right, they did say that.

Something I'm confused about - I thought that when David Tennant and the solicitor were asking Liam Foyle questions near the beginning, he was saying things like, "We thought the blood on our shoes was from a dead squirrel", "We do the washing on a Tuesday", etc. So who is "we"? Did he have an accomplice, or does he have multiple personalities / imaginary friends?

I interpreted this as DT's character coaching Foyle as to what to say when Foyle had to give his testimony....

Not sure that I am right, but it fits...
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Thinking about the stuff in court that DT used to get the case thrown out, I can't understand why the computer expert was giving evidence about which websites Liam Foyle's credit card was used to access? I would have thought they would have one witness who would testify about the credit card stuff, and another one who would testify about what was actually found on the computer? I don't see how the computer expert could also be the credit card expert?

In any case, there should have been someone who could point out that Liam Foyle could have accessed the websites from some other device, even if he really did only have one computer.

They had a chap from the bank, too didn't they? it did all seem a bit sketchy though, thinking about it. I wonder if we may hear from DT's computer expert at some point, proving Foyle's innocence after DT's killed him?
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,777
    Forum Member
    Very good it was. I'm kinda hoping that Tennant's character deals with the b*******d himself!
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I interpreted this as DT's character coaching Foyle as to what to say when Foyle had to give his testimony....

Yes This is how I thought.
  • R VR V Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    This reminds me of a story they had running in "The Practice" where they defended a serial killer and got him off on a technicality and he started stalking the female lawyer who was the girlfriend of the lawyer who got him off. It was really creepy and this is too. The guy playing Foyle is very believable.

Apart from his showbiz teeth.

I found the whole thing dull and predictable.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was Liam Foyle, presumably because of the whole refusing to shake hands business.

He complained about that, which stopped DT being able to do the Silk thing?! That's even more confusing now, but thanks for helping!
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Isn't that against the rules?
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    He complained about that, which stopped DT being able to do the Silk thing?! That's even more confusing now, but thanks for helping!

Sorry, his complaint wasn't actually about the refusal to shake hands, I was just guessing that that was the real reason why he complained.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, his complaint wasn't actually about the refusal to shake hands, I was just guessing that that was the real reason why he complained.

No, I'm sorry, I realised that. I'm just relieved someone cleared up who it was that complained as I thought it might've been the opposing lawyer and I missed the name.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You hate watching David Tennant, so why did you watch it then!

The second sentence of my post answered that. Thanks for reading the whole post before jumping down my throat(!)
  • TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I'm sorry, I realised that. I'm just relieved someone cleared up who it was that complained as I thought it might've been the opposing lawyer and I missed the name.

I think the actual reason given was that DT's character hadn't believed in his innocence ? I'm sure that was the gist of it.

Seems a very strange complaint to make and wonder if that happens in RL :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TrishaS wrote: »
    I think the actual reason given was that DT's character hadn't believed in his innocence ? I'm sure that was the gist of it.

Seems a very strange complaint to make and wonder if that happens in RL :confused:

Really odd. Also why was it taken so seriously as the case was dropped?!
  • TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really odd. Also why was it taken so seriously as the case was dropped?!

Yes that was the other odd thing, to actually put his new job on hold because of it :confused:
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    I was hoping for a bit more from the plot, which was well-worn. Maybe it takes an unexpected turn next week?

Very worn - and the trailer, that gave a lot away for next week, doesn't encourage me to watch more.:(
  • Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it and I like David Tennant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I recorded it, but wasn't going to watch it because i'm not a fan of David Tennant, however I gave it a try and I thought Tennant was good in this, it's an interesting storyline, and the guy playing Foyle was excellent, he was really creepy.

The only downside was you could drive an articulated lorry through the plot holes :D

pleasantly surprised by it though.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,610
    Forum Member
    also how can Sophie Okonedo defend the man if she knows the victim, should you not have some one impartial?
    Pretty tricky to find someone amongst the tight-knit world of barristers who would fit the bill in a case like this. In any case the defending barrister does not have to be impartial, indeed should not be impartial but should be fighting there client's corner as best they can.