Options

When do the sales start?

DynopiaDynopia Posts: 1,645
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey,

I'm looking to buy a new TV but at this point I'm thinking it's best to hold off. I do need one ASAP tho as I won't have one as of tomorrow!

Do the sales start on boxing day still like years ago (not gone boxing day shopping in a long time).

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are currently sales going on as we speak, your best bet is to have a look online. It is hard to say if the sales will be better now or after Christmas. I suppose it depends on how well they do pre Christmas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MagiLisu wrote: »
    There are currently sales going on as we speak, your best bet is to have a look online. It is hard to say if the sales will be better now or after Christmas. I suppose it depends on how well they do pre Christmas.

Thanks, no sale on this TV I want atm tho :(
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could always go for a cheap secondhand TV until Boxing Day sales
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    Could always go for a cheap secondhand TV until Boxing Day sales

Hmm nah, I wouldn't get anything decent for £10, thanks for the suggestion tho.

Just wanna find out if boxing day is when all the sales kick in for electronics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else?
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dynopia wrote: »
    Anyone else?
    You do realise we live in the age of internet sales and Ebay don't you? Stuff is sold at the cheapest prices all the time. So the concept of a Sale is pretty much redundant now. The only companies that have a sale any more are those who are consistently among the most expensive retailers. The rest just continue selling at low margins the same in January as they do every day of the year.

The only time now that branded products see big discounts is when the manufacturers are looking to dump stock to make way for new models, or shift problem lines, or when a retailer is selling off ex-dem and returned stock.

Demand for consumer products peaks in December. I know from colleagues in the trade that there's a lot of empty European warehouses and disappointed customers right now because no one wanted to bet the farm on holding a lot of stock. Panasonic is pulling out of Plasma, and they're nearly out of all plasma models. That puts more pressure on their own LED stocks and stocks for other brands too as those who gambled on waiting for a big discount found they were shut out in the cold.

If you don't care what you buy so long as it appears to have been discounted then by all means wait. But if you have set your heart on a specific model that's getting good reviews and you're hoping for the retailers to open their veins in January then you might be very disappointed. Only a really dumb retailer offers big discounts on products that the manufacturers can't supply.
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Well my friend paid 800 for a big samsung smart tv last dec 2012, then to his horror same tv was around 595 end of january this year. This was high street, so I might be tempted to hold off till january. Depends on what you are after i suppose!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    NoseyLouie wrote: »
    Well my friend paid 800 for a big samsung smart tv last dec 2012, then to his horror same tv was around 595 end of january this year. This was high street, so I might be tempted to hold off till january. Depends on what you are after i suppose!

TV pricing is volatile and a lot of that will be down to the depreciation effect due to impending model changes which happen in March/April time. TV's change models every 6/12 months, so if you aren't bothered about the latest and greatest, then buy the TV you want when the new model is announced and watch the price tumble before your very eyes.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edit: ^ I agree with him.
    Dynopia wrote: »
    Thanks, no sale on this TV I want atm tho :(

Then, if it's a new model, it's best to wait until January 2015. I'm not even joking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Edit: ^ I agree with him.

Then, if it's a new model, it's best to wait until January 2015. I'm not even joking.

2015! I need a TV now lol.

Thanks for all the advice, I'm gonna wait till Boxing day and take my chances.
  • Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listen to Chris Frost OP.:)
  • Options
    abcdabcd Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sales are already in place from desperate shops trying to stop people doing online. Along with many places offering free parking
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NoseyLouie wrote: »

One swallow does not make a summer. Samsung are one of the savviest volume TV brands in the market. If they knocked big lumps off the price of a product then it's because there was a new product on the way or it was a commercial decision.
    The only time now that branded products see big discounts is when the manufacturers are looking to dump stock to make way for new models, or shift problem lines,

The fact is that with the exception of the exit of a brand from the market (Fujitsu, Pioneer, Panasonic plasma) then the ceaseless churn continues. Even if one buys at exactly the lowest price point, you can look 6 months later and find a better, bigger, more feature packed TV at a cheaper price. That's how it works.
  • Options
    D.DotAD.DotA Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP do you only have one TV in hour house?

And Christmas Eve things get lowered but Boxing Day is when the real sales start. :)
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately, DFS don't sell TVs - but their never-ending sale starts on Christmas Day
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    When do they end! Having said that, Currys usually gets a sale on 27th-28th December.
  • Options
    shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Unfortunately, DFS don't sell TVs - but their never-ending sale starts on Christmas Day

And carries on until Xmas eve the next year