Options

Bigger: Take That or 1D?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
Forum Member
Who are more successful: Take That or One Direction?

Comments

• Options
    coun3spicecoun3spice Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    do you mean worldwide?

obviously it's 1D.

westlife is bigger than take that i must say. worldwide :)
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,943
    Forum Member
    Tekken_Guy wrote: »
    Who are more successful: Take That or One Direction?

In this country Take That, worldwide probably One Direction.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In terms of worldwide sales I'm guessing it's 1D. However, in terms of fans and hysteria, Take That were much, much bigger. People went insane for Take That.
  • Options
    robjames69robjames69 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Internationally 1D, but here in the UK I can think of many bands who were much bigger such as Take That and even more so The Spice Girls
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In terms of worldwide sales I'm guessing it's 1D. However, in terms of fans and hysteria, Take That were much, much bigger. People went insane for Take That.

"Fans and hysteria," huh? I kind of doubt that. 1D's fanbase is much larger than Take That's was simply because it has a wide international spread. Most importantly, they are popular in one country that no British boy band has ever become big in before, and that country happens to be more important to their success right now than the UK is.

IMO, losing the US market would honestly hurt 1D a lot more than losing the UK market would. Some UK Directioners seemed to have left 1D behind just because they became popular in the US. This is what's allowing the Vamps, Union J, etc. to make a dent.

Take That definitely has sold more records, mostly because record sales were much better than then than they are now.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Fans and hysteria," huh? I kind of doubt that. 1D's fanbase is much larger than Take That's was simply because it has a wide international spread. Most importantly, they are popular in one country that no British boy band has ever become big in before, and that country happens to be more important to their success right now than the UK is.

IMO, losing the US market would honestly hurt 1D a lot more than losing the UK market would. Some UK Directioners seemed to have left 1D behind just because they became popular in the US. This is what's allowing the Vamps, Union J, etc. to make a dent.

Take That definitely has sold more records, mostly because record sales were much better than then than they are now.
    BIB - are you saying that you think the One Direction fanbase has more 'hysteria' than Take That's did back in the day? Don't be so sure. I recall Take That breaking up circa. '93 and it was ridiculous. Teenage girls crying in the playgrounds, Helplines were set up, counselling sessions at schools and Lord knows what else. I'm not sure you'd get that today simply because I don't think that same level of fan hysteria exists anymore. As you allude to, if one boyband breaks up, no matter, there's two or three coming along right behind it as soon as X-Factor or BGT starts again.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    Double post.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    "Fans and hysteria," huh? I kind of doubt that. 1D's fanbase is much larger than Take That's was

Which kind of sounds like you weren't around during Take That's heyday. Which kind of means you haven't a clue what you're talking about.
  • Options
    emily67emily67 Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    hate to say this, really do.

but 1 direction

much bigger following in my opinion
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Fans and hysteria," huh? I kind of doubt that. 1D's fanbase is much larger than Take That's was simply because it has a wide international spread.

You're obviously too young to remember the Take That hysteria. All this crazyness and fandom for 1D is nothing compared to what ti was like when Take That were around.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,943
    Forum Member
    emily67 wrote: »
    hate to say this, really do.

but 1 direction

much bigger following in my opinion

Worldwide yes, certainly not in this country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The 1D hysteria going on in America seems to be the kind comparable to Take That's. OK, maybe not, but 1D's fanbase in America alone is probably bigger than the one Take That had. Not only is the USA a much larger country than the UK, but Take That had to share the teen demo with East 17. 1D have the demo all to themselves; Bieber fell quickly when 1D hit America.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,990
    Forum Member
    In the UK, Take That easily. Their three studio albums since the comeback have sold 2.82, 2.2 and 2.8 million copies and their 2006 greatest hits album also sold over 2 million copies here alone.

One Direction's three albums combined have sold 2.63 million. Internationally it's easily 1D though.
  • Options
    musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Internationally One Direction due to social media they never even set foot in most places and were huge. Take That's time was very different and the internet wasn't in full force so their huge international popularity was commendable.

Even boybands that came after TT post 1996 had a much smoother ride due to websites/advanced media.
    Boybands were also more defined and accepted in charts and marketed straight to that core audience more efficently and the quick way to the top was mapped out through the likes of NKOTB/TT before them so now boybands don't have Take That's early misses.

Take That's early triumph was where they were/started (domestic flops) and what they became (the biggest pop band in Europe and briefly World Back For Good/Nobody Else era)
    Spreading the word back then was word of mouth or a card with a fan address on mainly.

There is a deep rooted loyalty to Take That in the UK/Europe as their struggles been documented they didn't have it all and flopped but worked for it and became better musicians and got it all. They had to force their way into the charts with no big money behind them and ended up inspiring Backstreet Boys/Nsync as well as obviously all the European boybands that followed. Both US groups have said many times they wanted TT European success when they started out in 95/96 and that they are their favourite non US boyband.

One Direction obviously have America but with Take That they were falling apart when they were top 10 in the US, Robbie had left and the group had decided to split so US success in late 1995 was just a swansong unable to capitalise further. If Robbie had stayed who knows what would have happened.
  • Options
    Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    1D are currently a world wide phenomena

Take That were a pop phenomena in UK, Europe and Australia mainly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If sales haven't fallen so hard, 1D would have blown past Take That's 50 million record sales a long time ago. They've definitely passed TT internationally, but TT are still on top in the UK. Worldwide, it's quite likely that 1D will eventually surpass Take That's magic 50 million.

At this point in time, 1D should already have beaten the combined US album sales of Take That, Westlife, Boyzone, Five, BBMak, A1, JLS, and The Wanted.
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take That, they're arguably iconic in Britain and easily in the top 5 most iconic artists in the UK with The Spice Girls & Oasis, they were the boyband that girls would they're lives on the line for while almost every straight male in the country would detest them and made fun of them at pubs etc, then when they split Robbie became one of the biggest household names in British history, if you ask anyone even in 2014 who Robbie Williams is I guarantee no one no matter the age will reply "who", everyone will know the name

1D get the better worldwide success though, Westlife even did better worldwide than Take That but Take That's success in Britain puts the rest to shame, 45 million records sold, at least 1/4 from Britain alone even 1/3
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take That probably. No pop star after the early/mid 2000s will ever really achieve the same level of stardom that successful pop stars prior to that time achieved because of the fragmentation of the market.

When there's only five main channels, one MTV (which almost no-one watches), a couple of magazines and no internet, it's relatively easy to reach saturation coverage in a way that is just no longer possible.

If you weren't around for both eras, it's easy to assume this is how it's always been, but those of us who've been there for both know better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've definitely passed TT internationally, but TT are still on top in the UK.

True but Take That are still far and ahead the most successful boyband ever in Europe with minimum certified album sales of 17 million from the IFPI. For this continent and with Take That possibly continuing to release albums including a Greatest Hits Vol 2/Best Of I don't think they'll be caught.

Minimum certified sales (Europe Platinum = 1,000,000 minimum album sales across Europe for an album to be awarded)

1.Take That 17 million
    2.Westlife 12 million
    3.Backstreet Boys 11 million
    4.Boyzone 7 million
    5.Blue 5 million

Some others outside top 5: Busted/East 17/Five 2 million, One Direction also currently 2 million. Platinum award for first two albums.

Boyz II Men/Hanson/JLS/Worlds Apart 1 million album European certification.

I agree with above posts who point out how hard it is for persons in a technology heavy world to understand the fame of pop acts previously like Take That who were around in more concentrated and limited media times.
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Take That, they're arguably iconic in Britain and easily in the top 5 most iconic artists of the 90s in the UK with The Spice Girls & Oasis, they were the boyband that girls would they're lives on the line for while almost every straight male in the country would detest them and made fun of them at pubs etc, then when they split Robbie became one of the biggest household names in British history, if you ask anyone even in 2014 who Robbie Williams is I guarantee no one no matter the age will reply "who", everyone will know the name

1D get the better worldwide success though, Westlife even did better worldwide than Take That but Take That's success in Britain puts the rest to shame, 45 million records sold, at least 1/4 from Britain alone even 1/3

Fixed my post :)
  • Options
    Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gary Barlow must hate the fact Take That never managed to break the US market. I believe the only success they ever had over there was with Back for Good. They never sold albums.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,990
    Forum Member
    I don't know, he must be pretty happy selling 45 million records without cracking the States
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »
    Gary Barlow must hate the fact Take That never managed to break the US market. I believe the only success they ever had over there was with Back for Good. They never sold albums.

Yes they were the first British boyband (1990 onwards) to go top ten in America and their peak was only beaten by the Wanted and then One Direction two years ago and a good 17 years later to happen singles wise for a British boyband.
    Bearing in mind only one other Brit boyband 5ive had a top ten single throughout the whole of the 90's in America. That in itself was an achievement.

There are loads of early interviews going right up till early 1995 of TT saying they aren't focussed or bothered by America and that for them Europe and Asia/Japan and Australia were their main focus. There's loads of interviews where they say they have opted to either go back to those places again instead of America. Wouldn't take long to find some on youtube.

They never did one radio tour or appearances in the US and only promoted in America once BFG took off. Which they had decided to promote in America as Robbie had already left and the band was agreed to coming to an end so by late 1995 and with the song having already been #1 in 31 nations around the world including Canada the group saw it as a swansong in the US to give the record a fair try and leave on a high in America as well as around the World.

So basically success is never going to happen if you never try in the first place and Take That didn't in America, no hype from the record company, promo or radio tours. This is in Gary's book. He did however try hard as a solo artist in the US and did promo/radio tours but not throughout Take That. Much like they don't release their new albums in America now.

So Gary may have hated the fact they didn't take those opportunities in hindsight but at the time the whole band agreed and went to where they/the music was wanted and appreciated instead of cynically trying to break a certain market. They realised the scene in the US was very rap, grunge and r'n'b and not pop friendly and certainly not Take That's style. Huge boybands at the time were Boyz II Men, All-4-One, Color Me Badd so it was seen as a non starter as opposed to the rest of the World which did enjoy their style of pop.

Agree with above post they have achieved amazingly without US dollars and the multi millions albums can sell there. Success can be down to fate and circumstances something One Direction know all too well. If we are talking America it wasn't the right time/accessible for Take That it is for One Direction. That's just how it goes.
  • Options
    coun3spicecoun3spice Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    talking about NOW, and WORLDWIDE.. of course it is 1D

try to search for take that's position in itunes chart dowbloads, almost none of their songs/ albums are charting
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take That, they had their 1D phase in the 90s and managed to come back and have massive success again with an older crowd. That, and Gary Barlow has more songwriting talent in his little finger than the whole of 1D put together.