Options

Brit Awards 2014 - ITV 8pm

1495051525355»

Comments

• Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    overall very disappointed with last nights show, heres some points Id like to make -

1, why did Arctic Monkeys win 2 awards, especially best album. There were several other acts in there with debut albums who should have got it. I personally wanted Bastille to win but Disclosure or Rudimental would have also been worthy winners

2, I wanted Bastille and Disclosure to share the 4 awards they were both up for. Bastille got one, should have been two and Disclosure didn't get any? wtf is that all about :confused:

3, OD "Global Success" why did they make up the award for them again? and as for best video......>:(

4, James Corden sucks, I didn't find him funny at all

5, A lot of yanks there this year. They wouldn't have it if it was their awards!

6, Loved Noel Gallaghers comment on Bowie "not turning up for this sh*t"

overall pretty lacklustre year
  • Options
    HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honestly why do so many women find Harry Styles attractive. He always looks like he needs a good scrub.

Yes, it's a real puzzle why so many women find multi-millionaire Harry Styles attractive.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They need to go back to the drawing board with this show - it's an embarrassment
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As posted on the TV forum thread:

UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK 1m
    The 2014 #BritAwards were watched by 4.56m/20.0% from 8pm last night, the lowest rated Brits of the 21st century.
  • Options
    keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »

One incredibly successful British artist always ignored for the award - for obvious reasons: he's uncool as **** - is Phil Collins, who I think has sold about 150 million albums, and that's before Genesis are taken into consideration too. Kate Bush is another conspicuous by her absence - but it's allegedly because she wouldn't perform live for them and they expect Outstanding Contribution winners to perform. I know a lot of Depeche Mode fans are pissed off the Brits have always ignored them too, considering they're the biggest selling electronic band ever.

Because Collins is on the wrong side of the political spectrum and for that reason (much the same as the Daily Mail) has always wrongly been treated as some kind of joke by the luvvies that run the business.
  • Options
    Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So glad I didn't watch this, these comments ARE the entertainment. And a big HAHA to Bastille hardly winning anything, they really are an insult to music. I feel sorry for teens/early 20's who believe they make good music.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show was pretty bad.
  • Options
    Forget-me-notForget-me-not Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty bad!! dire more like.

They seem to think packing it with American artists is enough to make it exciting - not so.

Perhaps if they tried, like the Grammy's do for the USA to celebrate this country's music as a whole rather than what seems like a niche little group (the legendary British artists never seem to bother turning up) it would have more appeal to the general public.

There was not excitement coming across, people just running through the motions, a host trying too hard and failing to be funny and edgy, OD getting yet another award for no good reason and looking like they would all rather be somewhere else; Arctic Monkey's up themselves and boorish (turning up on stage with a can in your hand, how edgy - not) and a load of pretentious twaddle of a speech and Kylie Minogue tottering up on platforms to make Herman Munster proud after having decimated the bin liner roll for an outfit.

Dull, lifeless and witless, far too many people being pretentious when it just needs to be a celebration of British music.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't blame David Bowie not turning up as some parts of the show was rubbish. Kate Perry was brilliant, probably only part of the set she does on a full stage. Glad it's last for James Corden as he's running out of steam. Harry Styles rubbish announcement he went to the toilet as he's got a injunction against the Paparazzi at present.

I wonder why David Bowie never turned up? Is he well?
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Jacobs, Noel Edmonds, Mick Fleetwood & Sam Fox, Chris Evans have all presented the show in the past. Probably give the show too Nick Grimshaw next year?
  • Options
    Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    lombard wrote: »
    If you hold the awards in such contempt, Monkeys, why keep appearing on them?

Because they still want to sell records ...a truly over rated band who sadly believe their own hype .
  • Options
    Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    Ellie Goulding sounds like a six year old getting over a head cold. If her voice was any weaker, reedy and tuneless, it would need replacing like a broken saxophone. However between Radio 1, Jools Holland, The BRITS and The BRIT School, the industry is so tiny and incestuous these days it doesn't matter how talented you are, it matters who you know. She was literally dating a Radio 1 DJ before she traded him in for the world's most famous dubstep DJ. Honestly, if you have a demo tape and are willing to get on your knees for the right people for a multitude of uses and reasons, you can be quite talentless and have a prominent position. See Rita Ora with Calvin Harris, Lily Allen who has her well connected mother and stepfather Harry Enfield to open the door before dating one of the Chemical Brothers and a record exec kept it open. She's not having as easy of a time now though, Miley Cyrus is better at courting controversy and Cher Lloyd has been a bigger crossover UK success story with an actual rags to riches story and passion for the business. She's not looking to retire to set up a second hand rental clothing store anytime soon either, having burned bridges by walking out on the company execs that invested in her.

If you want to be successful, go to the BRIT School, do some gigs in New Cross, Kings Cross and Islington then buy some kneepads and chapstick. You'll be winning the Critics Choice Award aka The Person We're Endorsing Now Award within two years.

How very very insightful ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    genuinely never read a more depressing thread, not sure why people watched this as all most have done is moan.
  • Options
    keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recorded it and condensed it down to about 20 minutes, and ten of that was Nile Rogers at the end. Why suffer 2+ hours of tosh and adverts?
  • Options
    wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sleek wrote: »
    genuinely never read a more depressing thread, not sure why people watched this as all most have done is moan.

If it helps I watched Dr Mike Mosley infect himself with tapeworms last night, instead.

That was ace!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    it just needs to be a celebration of British music.

Summed up in one sentence!

More Brits performing and presenting, fewer non musical celeb types there just to plug themselves. I'd love to see more nominees per category too. With Four or five same names dominating the main categories the categories looked a wee bit dull imo.

The saddest part of the whole night was when Nick Grimshaw went onstage with 'The Mother We Share' by Chvrches playing in the background. A band that's had an fantastic year...Nominated, No.

Oh, and the actual Brit trophy looked crap :p
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    I didn't blame David Bowie not turning up as some parts of the show was rubbish. Kate Perry was brilliant, probably only part of the set she does on a full stage. Glad it's last for James Corden as he's running out of steam. Harry Styles rubbish announcement he went to the toilet as he's got a injunction against the Paparazzi at present.

I wonder why David Bowie never turned up? Is he well?

I don't think he's done the award show thing for a few years - that's why I was surprised he won
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    James Corden came on and read us the line up, saying this will be the best Brits ever. Well no Corden, it wasn't. It was most definitely the worst Brit Awards I've ever seen. There was not one stand out moment, nothing of note what so ever. I mean Corden kissing Grimshaw? Wasn't that done last year?
    The best Brits In recent times featured Adele and unfortunately that div Corden butted in and ruined that.
    I think Adele had the right idea when she gave them all the finger.
  • Options
    julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starsailor wrote: »
    I'm not feeling any atmosphere at all......

After last year's show I swore I wouldn't watch this years and I didn't. I would never have missed the Brit Awards. It used to be the highlight of my year every February because I love music and all the atmosphere to go with it.

Says it all when David Bowie won Best British Male doesn't it.
    Just shows you Mr Bowie still has the power to impress.

What is it about the Artic Monkeys. There is hardly a year goes by they don't win anything.
  • Options
    julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The showstopper, the icon, the main event PRINCE is in the house and they just get him to hand out some award to some nobody?!?

I can't believe Prince was at the Brits last night giving out an award. He doesn't do any TV shows. Pity I missed it now because he would have been the highlight of the whole show and I mean that. He should have closed the show - what an icon.
    Who organises these things?

Last year Muse opened the show and what an opening it was.
    After that I switched off because ID took over then.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    5, A lot of yanks there this year. They wouldn't have it if it was their awards!

The Grammys has had loads of British performers in recent years, Adele, Sting, Mumford & Sons, Paul McCartney and Ringo, Ed Sheeran, Elton John, Coldplay, Mick Jagger, Florence and the Machine, Muse etc.
    Secondly there is no nationality restrictions on the awards. In recent years Adele, Mumford & Sons and Amy Winehouse all took home the top award 'Album of the year'.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ds Should Host It Next Year
    Agreed. ;-) We'd do a better job too!
    Randysback wrote: »
    Was this 1 massive advert for that Pharrel Williams bloke, the one that thinks he`s the black version of Jamiroquai
    Well, he kinda is tbh!
    Pharrell and Nile was the best part for me (oh and if Prince came on in the midst of it - OH that would have been epic) and, although I'm far from a fan of the Rudimental and Bastille, their collaboration wasn't too bad, it was an eyeopener and the female singer had a decent voice; it was slightly spoilt by the Rudimental guy shouting too much over the song - his part was so unneeded. The rest of it is a blur or parts where I'd put on the mute. Even Beyonce's part was something unexciting and I normally like her. I only remember watching her in her blue dress and she singing, but that's about it.
    In the hope of something better coming on! I only watch for a handful of acts - and unfortunately one was the very last act of the evening. That said, I don't understand why some went on to watch the after party bit on ITV2 when they were aware that the main show was a bit dire.
  • Options
    LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wasn't our fault it were so bad... there was nothing positive to comment on.. :o disaster all round.
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leeah wrote: »
    Wasn't our fault it were so bad... there was nothing positive to comment on.. :o disaster all round.

Too right Leeah! It was fun whilst I was drinking my wine and chatting to you and the others. I could say maybe it's more depressing to go through a 50+ page thread after the event!!
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sw2963 wrote: »
    Too right Leeah! It was fun whilst I was drinking my wine and chatting to you and the others. I could say maybe it's more depressing to go through a 50+ page thread after the event!!

Indeed! :D