Options

Curling - A Scottish or a British success?

Comments

• Options
    elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joey_J wrote: »
    These Scottish Girls seem more than happy to be representing GB from what I can see

and so do their families, coving their part of the stand in GB Flags with pride I assume, otherwise they'd have taken Scottish flags??
    That's what I was going to say. I'm sure they're proud Scots but assuming they're genuinely happy to represent the whole GB (and not just saying so and unwillingly wrapping themselves in the Union Flag) I'm pleased to be represented by the best people we Brits can find.

If Scotland leaves us, GB won't field a curling team. That would be sad.
  • Options
    carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elfcurry wrote: »

If Scotland leaves us, GB won't field a curling team. That would be sad.

No, but Scotland would so that's OK.

Regarding previous posts, I can't see what was embarrassing about the Scottish First Minister waving a Scottish flag when a Scottish player wins a major tournament.
  • Options
    Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't we mean Scottish Failure now? :p:kitty::cry:
  • Options
    blowupblowup Posts: 1,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have plenty of medals from Olympic games from English athletes. I don't understand this need to try and take Scottish athletes off us, as if we are holding onto them desperately because without them we don't have any medals hopes.
  • Options
    SideshowMarkSideshowMark Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    This is most certainly a Scottish performance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blowup wrote: »
    We have plenty of medals from Olympic games from English athletes. I don't understand this need to try and take Scottish athletes off us, as if we are holding onto them desperately because without them we don't have any medals hopes.

It's really nothing to do with trying to take athletes of you. It's just that some people (38% at the last count) want Scotland to run their own affairs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In all seriousness as an English man, why would I be sad about Scotland having a curling team.

I hold no grudge against Scotland if they want to become independent and thus if they do, then they can have their curling team.

As of now, we have their athletes and they have ours.

If and when that changes, then we can wish each other good luck and try to beat the pants off them.

Good luck to all
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eve Muirhead saying about trying for a Gold at the next Olympics.

She could join a relatively rare list especially these days of winning medals for two different countries.

Scotland v England in Curling I reckon when and if Scotland become independent and if England can keep it under 20-0 then we win. :kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steveaki13 wrote: »
    Eve Muirhead saying about trying for a Gold at the next Olympics.

She could join a relatively rare list especially these days of winning medals for two different countries.

Scotland v England in Curling I reckon when and if Scotland become independent and if England can keep it under 20-0 then we win. :kitty:

Surely it would be Scotland against the United Kingdom of Southern Britain & Northern Ireland??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    Surely it would be Scotland against the United Kingdom of Southern Britain & Northern Ireland??

True. :blush:
  • Options
    blowupblowup Posts: 1,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    It's really nothing to do with trying to take athletes of you. It's just that some people (38% at the last count) want Scotland to run their own affairs.

I more meant along the lines of - whenever a Scottish athlete does well it always raises the question of them competing for Scotland. It's like because they've done well suddenly it becomes a talking point that Scotland should have them all to themselves, as if we don't have any success of our own and this would be devastating to us :D
  • Options
    geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caltonfan wrote: »

As for those saying Salmond would try to politicise an Olympic win by a Scot, I don't think he would but flip that coin would the No campaign/project fear would use it as a look how successful we are together

Cameron played that card the other week with a speech on the referendum from the London Olympic's velodrome.
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a British success.

Bloody hell, every time someone from Scotland wins something why does there have to be a group of people looking to make an argument and say "screw Britain, this is for Scotland" ? I don't do it when someone from England wins something.

It was the same when Murray won Wimbledon, a group of people did the same thing.

There is no England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland in these things, it's Britain, we are one.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On T.V.news they showed their families and fans in Locherbie, all wearing and waving Union Jacks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    The British Women did well in their match, but the Scots men not so well today.

Ah yes, if Scottish people do well in the games, they're British, if they do badly, they're Scottish. I see what you did there ;)
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do feel its a British success actually as we are still together and hopefully stays that way after September.

However I do think eve muirhead and anna Sloan will be much in demand for lots of things after the games
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    There is no England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland in these things, it's Britain, we are one.

So why don't the football teams join up as one, rather than representing their individual nations? Maybe its time they should?
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    We're gonna double that to two when the one in Bracknell opens later this year. Dunno if curling is still offered @ Sheffield - think you could practice on a half-size rink? - and Deeside is just over the border if live in the North West. But Tonbridge Wells and Bracknell will be England's only two dedicated rinks.

EDITS at least the Scots are British unlike a certain test match team I could name. How many of that lot tonked in Australia were born here??
    Where will the Bracknell one be? At the existing rink?

That's only 5 miles away, would give it a go.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    hannahhannah Posts: 13,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yep but at least they still get a silver medal
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Can I like this?
  • Options
    hannahhannah Posts: 13,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its strange aint where Scots win they are british and when Scots have lost they are Scots
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Jason C wrote: »
    Scotland will be cutting its own throat if it votes for independence and I think the majority of Scots know this despite Salmond's attempts to convince them otherwise - so for that reason I think they'll vote 'No' decisively and this, amongst other things, won't be an issue.
    Unsurprisingly, I don't really put much stock in what someone from Bexleyheath thinks the Scottish electorate know and how they will vote.
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    Unsurprisingly, I don't really put much stock in what someone from Bexleyheath thinks the Scottish electorate know and how they will vote.

That's OK< but if Scotland breaks away and still uses Stirling, then I reckon the rest of us should have a vote as, if Scotland's economy fails, they will expect us to bail them out by default - which risks devaluation and possible inflation. Stirling, if used by two "separate" countries would be no better (or worse, of course) than two countries having the Euro. So, yes, what they think in Bexleyheath should matter. A lot.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    howard h wrote: »
    That's OK< but if Scotland breaks away and still uses Stirling, then I reckon the rest of us should have a vote as, if Scotland's economy fails, they will expect us to bail them out by default - which risks devaluation and possible inflation. Stirling, if used by two "separate" countries would be no better (or worse, of course) than two countries having the Euro. So, yes, what they think in Bexleyheath should matter. A lot.
    Stop worrying about Scotland's economy failing and the rest of the UK having to bail us out.

If we make our bed, we'll lie on it.

I like the thought of us calling our own currency "Stirling", though.