Options

Emmerdale - Past and Present (Part 9)

Comments

• Options
    Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    lotty27 wrote: »
    No it doesn't make them bad it just makes them human. Let's face it many, many more women will have done just what Val did and not been infected with HIV. Whichever way you look at it Val was incredibly unlucky statistically.

Yes in a perfect world everyone should wear protection but in many cases it's like my old Gran used to say "drink's in, wits out!". People are always going to make 'mistakes' perhaps under the influence of alcohol or just raging hormones!

Like I said above our usually nannying government hasn't really had much to say about HIV for years now. Perhaps it's time to a campaign to remind people that it's still out there, still incurable (but can be managed now) but ultimately it can still kill you?

BIB: Especially when Val got infected after being with Ian for about 3 weeks in Portugal and Eric was in the clear after sleeping with her for 2 years unprotected :o
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mel94 wrote: »
    BIB: Especially when Val got infected after being with Ian for about 3 weeks in Portugal and Eric was in the clear after sleeping with her for 2 years unprotected :o

Exactly Mel. It's almost as random as the Lottery and how many of us buy our tickets for that, seriously believing 'It Could Be You'?
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Val isn't a sensible person. Even though she knew in the back of her mind what she should be doing for safe sex, she's never been the type of person to think of the consequences for her actions. And if I remember correctly, didn't she say she did use a condom with Ian a few times but not others? She is taking responsibility because now she is paying the price for it, although I don't like how long it took her to tell Eric so he could get tested. The storyline is true to her character though and it will hopefully raise awareness of how serious unprotected sex can be with a stranger.
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Bib : I think this is the one thing we can all agree on, Lotteh, so good work ED. :)

I still think Lola is being incredibly harsh on women like Val, who on a drunken holiday night out simply don't stop to consider the dangers of unprotected sex. Hell, women of any age quite simply don't stop to consider anything, HIV, pregnancy or whatever. Doesn't make them the unforgiveably bad people that Lola seems to believe them to be. It's a case of 'there but for the grace of god' imo. :(
    Agree with both. Everyone makes mistakes. VAl is very rash so she'll probably make more than others. AT the same, there are many illnesses which are either caused or made worse by people's lifestyle and we are fallible human beings, who are not always as careful of our health we should be. VAl wasn't sleepin with unfamiliar men on a regular basis, and not taking precautions. SHe got something wrong. WE all do that, as eric and Diane clearly showed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MissLola wrote: »
    So it's no big deal to Eric? ED is becoming totally unrelatable. If my partner did that to me, it would be over. Total deal breaker.

SHe stopped sleeping with him as soon as she found out, so to some extent she tried to protect him.

She was having to deal with the fact of a life threatening illnessm and the guilt that she might have nfected eric. For a few weeks she couldn't bring herself to get tested or tell him, and therefore face up to it and deal with the reality.

He loves her, feels concern and compassion for her, and as her husband promised to stay with her in sickness and in health - maybe he takes that seriously. IF he had been positive, he probably would have been angry and found it harder to forgive.he might even have doubted that she ever intended to tell him. BUt tell him she did, he was clear, she didn't knowingly expose him, so he evidently is able to forgive her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SHe stopped sleeping with him as soon as she found out, so to some extent she tried to protect him.

She was having to deal with the fact of a life threatening illnessm and the guilt that she might have nfected eric. For a few weeks she couldn't bring herself to get tested or tell him, and therefore face up to it and deal with the reality.

He loves her, feels concern and compassion for her, and as her husband promised to stay with her in sickness and in health - maybe he takes that seriously. IF he had been positive, he probably would have been angry and found it harder to forgive.he might even have doubted that she ever intended to tell him. BUt tell him she did, he was clear, she didn't knowingly expose him, so he evidently is able to forgive her.

Eric and Val's marriage is a joke. He wanted to divorce her, then her learns that she is HIV positive, that for two years she hid, that she had a fling, for two years he was exposed to the virus and that it's only pure luck he isn't HIV positive. But it doesn't matter because he loves her and so who cares about HIV, it's just a detail.

That kind of simplistic and repetitive storylining is the reason I am not watching any more. No matter what happens it's always the same stupid storyline with Val and Eric. She leaves for Portugal and takes all his money. He moves on with his life but as soon as she comes back everything is forgiven. She encourages Amy in her bad behaviour about Kyle, he's the only voice of reason but all her gets in return is abuse from Val and Amy. Eric wonders it his marriage is still worth fighting for, but as soon as Amy does her great escape to Ireland, everything is forgiven. And now we have the HIV drama, and once again the same reaction from Eric and Valerie. Val behaves appallingly, Eric forgives in a matter of episodes. Wash rinse repeat.

It's funny how people insist that Val makes mistakes which makes her human but what about the rest of human emotions and feelings someone would have in such a situation? It's so simplistic to portray Eric as the husband who forgives her because he loves her. As if her actions have no consequences on their marriage, his feelings for her, his trust in her, question if he still loves her, why he does love her ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Eric and Val's marriage is a joke. He wanted to divorce her, then her learns that she is HIV positive, that for two years she hid, that she had a fling, for two years he was exposed to the virus and that it's only pure luck he isn't HIV positive. But it doesn't matter because he loves her and so who cares about HIV, it's just a detail.

That kind of simplistic and repetitive storylining is the reason I am not watching any more. No matter what happens it's always the same stupid storyline with Val and Eric. She leaves for Portugal and takes all his money. He moves on with his life but as soon as she comes back everything is forgiven. She encourages Amy in her bad behaviour about Kyle, he's the only voice of reason but all her gets in return is abuse from Val and Amy. Eric wonders it his marriage is still worth fighting for, but as soon as Amy does her great escape to Ireland, everything is forgiven. And now we have the HIV drama, and once again the same reaction from Eric and Valerie. Val behaves appallingly, Eric forgives in a matter of episodes. Wash rinse repeat.

It's funny how people insist that Val makes mistakes which makes her human but what about the rest of human emotions and feelings someone would have in such a situation? It's so simplistic to portray Eric as the husband who forgives her because he loves her. As if her actions have no consequences on their marriage, his feelings for her, his trust in her, question if he still loves her, why he does love her ...

They were both under the assumption that their marriage was over and therefore they were both free to find other relationships if they wanted to. She didn't cheat on him or knowingly let him live with being exposed to HIV for two years. They'd both forgiven each other and moved on until recently.

Eric only wanted to divorce Val because he believed that Val didn't want him anymore and that she wanted Ian instead. Eric didn't forgive her as soon as she told him about the HIV. He was angry, he shouted at her and he was disappointed that she didn't talk to him instead of Victoria and Diane. Despite feeling angry at her, he still decided to go with her to get tested because he was her husband and he should be there for her, no matter what she'd done and he realised that there were bigger issues to worry about in their marriage, like Val's health.

Yes, she can be a selfish person, she has made many mistakes in the past and she doesn't always treat Eric right. She's not perfect. But does that mean that she deserves to be condemned for being unlucky and getting HIV? I don't think so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She deserves to be condemned for exposing Eric to HIV.

Val and Eric's marriage has been a joke for years. There is no communication in their marriage. There is no mutual respect. Val doesn't listen to him or value his opinion. If Eric disagrees with her she will dump him and/or treat him like dirt and do a runner with all his money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That kind of simplistic and repetitive storylining is the reason I am not watching any more. No matter what happens it's always the same stupid storyline with Val and Eric. She leaves for Portugal and takes all his money. He moves on with his life but as soon as she comes back everything is forgiven. She encourages Amy in her bad behaviour about Kyle, he's the only voice of reason but all her gets in return is abuse from Val and Amy. Eric wonders it his marriage is still worth fighting for, bxut as soon as Amy does her great escape to Ireland, everything is forgiven. And now we have the HIV drama, and once again the same reaction from Eric and Valerie. Val behaves appallingly, Eric forgives in a matter of episodes. Wash rinse repeat.

He questions that every tine they split. I find their constant splitting up wearibg as well.i don
    dislike her too. THat doesn't stop ne from feeling sorry for her or from seeing that his reacttion id consistent with his behaviour tight through their marriage: i dont like that he
    -s let her away with so much ih the past, but it would ne cruel for him not to suppott her right now - and out of character.

In my experiencence, when a serious illness is first diagnosed family a d friends do try to put aside their own feelings abd be selfless i n front of the sufferer because thry dont wabt to make then feel worse

Eric showed his anger that val kept the secret, surely we can infer that he decided,given that he has been through this sort of split umpteen times before that he ids yet again willing to forgivenher.

He will also struggle at times to deal with her illness. RIght now when hes with val he
    S focussing on her and the practicalitiesn,and,being caring to her. IT doesn't mean heS not melting down offscreen and in private or that just because we havenT seen him expressing much anger or stress that we won
    Dont forget, he has only just found out
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She deserves to be condemned for exposing Eric to HIV.

Val and Eric's marriage has been a joke for years. There is no communication in their marriage. There is no mutual respect. Val doesn't listen to him or value his opinion. If Eric disagrees with her she will dump him and/or treat him like dirt and do a runner with all his money.

heS not in a position to condemn anyone for ha ing unprotected sex which i do think was heavy handed on the part of the writers but at least it means he will be more forgiving
  • Options
    Jimmy SkitzJimmy Skitz Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lets not forget they are in this mess because she threw a tantrum, left her husband and ran off to Portugal and had an affair then sulked in self pity and drove Eric away, she is wholly to blame for this mess
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lets not forget they are in this mess because she threw a tantrum, left her husband and ran off to Portugal and had an affair then sulked in self pity and drove Eric away, she is wholly to blame for this mess

SHe didn'thave an affair they had split up. she said herself that she didn't expect them to get back together:-) it was a few years ago now, and eric had forgiven her for taking his money. IT would be as well to blame ian, or the woman he caught it from. Would you be blaming eric if Diane had caught it? Personally, i wouldn't have taken Val back after ripping me off if i was Eric, but when it comes to infectious diseases, or people accidentally causing harm, what point is there in blaming?
  • Options
    pixiegirl123pixiegirl123 Posts: 15,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SHe didn'thave an affair they had split up. she said herself that she didn't expect them to get back together:-) it was a few years ago now, and eric had forgiven her for taking his money. IT would be as well to blame ian, or the woman he caught it from. Would you be blaming eric if Diane had caught it? Personally, i wouldn't have taken Val back after ripping me off if i was Eric, but when it comes to infectious diseases, or people accidentally causing harm, what point is there in blaming?

Well said Glenda, I completely agree :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

no, I blame Val completely, Eric did nothing wrong yet she ran off to Portugal in a huff clearing out his bank account in the process, she's in her 50/60s yet still acts like a petulant child, I have always found the character pathetic and highly annoying
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no, I blame Val completely, Eric did nothing wrong yet she ran off to Portugal in a huff clearing out his bank account in the process, she's in her 50/60s yet still acts like a petulant child, I have always found the character pathetic and highly annoying

YEs i agree she.s horrible. My point is, how far do you apportion blame for the unintentional exposure toba virus? EVeryone does things that are risky in life and could unintentionally harm someone else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YEs i agree she.s horrible. My point is, how far do you apportion blame for the unintentional exposure toba virus? EVeryone does things that are risky in life and could unintentionally harm someone else.

she was irresponsible enough top have unprotected sex with someone she didn't know, its her fault, simple as that
  • Options
    pixiegirl123pixiegirl123 Posts: 15,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she was irresponsible enough top have unprotected sex with someone she didn't know, its her fault, simple as that

It takes two to tango, so it's going on your logic it's surely it's mans fault as well?

You also seem to forget that condoms do not exist in soapland, why else would there be so many unplanned pregnancies? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

Jeeze, she had drunken unprotected sex with one man on holiday after splitting with her husband and was unlucky enough to get HIV. Cut her some slack.. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It takes two to tango, so it's going on your logic it's surely it's mans fault as well?

You also seem to forget that condoms do not exist in soapland, why else would there be so many unplanned pregnancies? :D
    we're not talking about him but yes he is to blame for his catching of the HIV virus
    Jeeze, she had drunken unprotected sex with one man on holiday after splitting with her husband and was unlucky enough to get HIV. Cut her some slack.. :confused:

a split she engineered by being an irresponsible brat who threw yet another tantrum when she didn't get everything she wanted, why should I cut her any slack when she never does, unless it was Amy, what would Val's reaction have been were it Eric and not here that had caught it after an affair?

I'm just bored of the Val Eric cycle of her flipping out and acting like a brat over nothing and Eric being too stupid just to tell her to f*ck off for good
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, and at some point or other we all do something irresponsible and or stupid. VAl was no more to blame than eric and Diane who both had unprotected sex, Ian, or the woman he caught it from. SheS not in the habit of having regular unprotected sex with strangersh. SHe took a stupid risk. NOw she has to live with the fact that she. could have passed it onto eric, as well as having her own life sentence because of a mistake
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, and at some point or other we all do something irresponsible and or stupid. VAl was no more to blame than eric and Diane who both had unprotected sex, Ian, or the woman he caught it from. SheS not in the habit of having regular unprotected sex with strangersh. SHe took a stupid risk. NOw she has to live with the fact that she. could have passed it onto eric, as well as having her own life sentence because of a mistake

actually she commented in the past about how many men she'd been with.

and she's not living with that fact she's acting all hard done to over Eric and Diane, it's all poor me with her. The actress if great but I hope the character just leaves, permanently, ASAP
  • Options
    Forum Member
    we're not talking about him but yes he is to blame for his catching of the HIV virus

a split she engineered by being an irresponsible brat who threw yet another tantrum when she didn't get everything she wanted, why should I cut her any slack when she never does, unless it was Amy, what would Val's reaction have been were it Eric and not here that had caught it after an affair?

I'm just bored of the Val Eric cycle of her flipping out and acting like a brat over nothing and Eric being too stupid just to tell her to f*ck off for good
    actually she commented in the past about how many men she'd been with.

and she's not living with that fact she's acting all hard done to over Eric and Diane, it's all poor me with her. The actress if great but I hope the character just leaves, permanently, ASAP

Considering she's just found out that she has HIV, an incurable virus that was once a death sentence and that her husband and her sister have slept together, she's bound to feel betrayed and upset. :confused: She's hardly just going to shrug it off and say it's fine, no worries. They're the two people closest to her that she relied on for support and now she feels like she's alone. She may be a selfishly flawed character but she has still has emotions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree she.d probably run a mile if he caught it. Hes a much decenter person, though and for some reason he does love her and wants to save his marriage. WHy would you leave someone you really care for, right when the worst has happened. He knows what she's like, he not being taken in, trapped or manipulated. He wants to support her because he cares about her. I don.t know what he finds to love about her, but he clearly finds something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree she.d probably run a mile if he caught it. Hes a much decenter person, though and for some reason he does love her and wants to save his marriage. WHy would you leave someone you really care for, right when the worst has happened. He knows what she's like, he not being taken in, trapped or manipulated. He wants to support her because he cares about her. I don.t know what he finds to love about her, but he clearly finds something.

give it a few months, they'll be splitting up again, their whole cycle is just boring now, at least David and Alicia have become a stable married couple
  • Options
    Forum Member
    give it a few months, they'll be splitting up again, their whole cycle is just boring now, at least David and Alicia have become a stable married couple

Which is surprising considering how many exes he has on the scene :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heS not in a position to condemn anyone for ha ing unprotected sex which i do think was heavy handed on the part of the writers but at least it means he will be more forgiving

Of course he is. Both Diane and Eric are responsible for their choices and mistakes. However for two years Eric was expose to HIV and that was entirely Val's fault.
This discussion has been closed.