Do I move to Virgin Media?

Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
Forum Member
Hello,

Let me tell you what I currently have

Sky TV (Entertainment Plus) 3 boxes (1x 2tb, 1x 500gb i think and 1x Sky plus) I currently have Sky Sports and Sky Movies but this will be dropping off as I am trying to save money.

Sky Fibre internet. On 33mb down and 9 up.

Sky talk weekend.

Now a month I pay £87. But I been looking at Virgin Media again. I went on their site and with the option of 100mb, TV XL and Talk evenings and weekends its £53.29 for the first 6 months and £80.27 there after with a one off payment of £49.95 but I am missing the third box. And loosing space on one of the boxes for recordings.

I understand the three tuners and that is a plus but its not a deal clincher for me now due to catchup and +1 channels.

I dont need 152mb either. Also how good is the hub now? Last I heard it was very very poor on wireless.

My other option is to ditch Sky phone and internet but keep the TV and move over to Virgin 100mb and phone line. This is £28.49 per month for the first 6 months and then £36.49 there after. My Sky subscription would then be

So my three options are:

1. Move everything to Virgin Media and pay £80 per month

2. Stay with Sky and pay £87

3. Mix them up. Keep TV with Sky and move to Virgin Media for the internet and phone and pay £96 a month but get faster net and better television (in my opinion before I get flamed).

Please lets not turn this into a flame wars between the two companies. I am not hear for this. I am hear to get opinions and what would be better for me.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello,

Let me tell you what I currently have

Sky TV (Entertainment Plus) 3 boxes (1x 2tb, 1x 500gb i think and 1x Sky plus) I currently have Sky Sports and Sky Movies but this will be dropping off as I am trying to save money.

Sky Fibre internet. On 33mb down and 9 up.

Sky talk weekend.

Now a month I pay £87. But I been looking at Virgin Media again. I went on their site and with the option of 100mb, TV XL and Talk evenings and weekends its £53.29 for the first 6 months and £80.27 there after with a one off payment of £49.95 but I am missing the third box. And loosing space on one of the boxes for recordings.

I understand the three tuners and that is a plus but its not a deal clincher for me now due to catchup and +1 channels.

I dont need 152mb either. Also how good is the hub now? Last I heard it was very very poor on wireless.

My other option is to ditch Sky phone and internet but keep the TV and move over to Virgin 100mb and phone line. This is £28.49 per month for the first 6 months and then £36.49 there after. My Sky subscription would then be

So my three options are:

1. Move everything to Virgin Media and pay £80 per month

2. Stay with Sky and pay £87

3. Mix them up. Keep TV with Sky and move to Virgin Media for the internet and phone and pay £96 a month but get faster net and better television (in my opinion before I get flamed).

Please lets not turn this into a flame wars between the two companies. I am not hear for this. I am hear to get opinions and what would be better for me.

Thanks for reading.

If you can afford it i suggest keeping Sky for your tv and getting Virgin for your broadband, the superhub 2 is quite good and it's wireless has decent range too.
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    If you can afford it i suggest keeping Sky for your tv and getting Virgin for your broadband, the superhub 2 is quite good and it's wireless has decent range too.
    Do you really need 100Mb? Virgin's minimum will become 50Mb (currently 30Mb) which should be more than enough for most families. Your current spend of £1000 per year is about double the average spend for a Sky customer. Not that you're getting ripped off but it's quite a spend. From a broader perspective, what other things would you perhaps like to do with the money you currently spend on TV and broadband that you don't do at the moment?
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    If you move over to Virgin for your TV service then you would lose the Sky Atlantic channel
    and the new ITV channel, as both of these are Sky exclusives
  • Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    If you move over to Virgin for your TV service then you would lose the Sky Atlantic channel

I have never watched Sky Atlantic and new ITV Channel?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or he could subscribe to NOWTV entertainment pack for £4.99 which includes Sky Atlantic, as for ITV who cares nobody watches that junk anymore.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also consider the functionality of the TiVo box if you've had Sky+ for some time.

I moved to Virgin early last year as I was offered a rather significant discount for the first 12 months of the 18 month contract that would have saved me a lot of money in the long run.

I hated TiVo with a passion. Sky+ is very intuitive, especially the remote control, but I found TiVo to be quite clunky and slow. It also makes far too much of a chore out of series linking and recording things as well compared to Sky+.

The wishlist searches are a great idea though, but that was about the only thing I liked.

Luckily, when Virgin briefly lost ESPN last year it opened up a window of opportunity that allowed me to fully cancel all my services and return to Sky.
    Forum Member
    I have never watched Sky Atlantic and new ITV Channel?

The new ITV channel will be called ITV Encore and it will launch later this year
    it will show all of ITV's new Drama series from 2015
    More details here http://corporate.sky.com/media/press_releases/2014/itv_encore_to_launch_on_sky
    Forum Member
    gother wrote: »
    Or he could subscribe to NOWTV entertainment pack for £4.99 which includes Sky Atlantic, as for ITV who cares nobody watches that junk anymore.

ITV Encore will be available to NOW TV customers see my Link above
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV Encore will be available to NOW TV customers see my Link above

I know mate but come on it's ITV lol. Nobody will be too bothered about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also consider the functionality of the TiVo box if you've had Sky+ for some time.

I moved to Virgin early last year as I was offered a rather significant discount for the first 12 months of the 18 month contract that would have saved me a lot of money in the long run.

I hated TiVo with a passion. Sky+ is very intuitive, especially the remote control, but I found TiVo to be quite clunky and slow. It also makes far too much of a chore out of series linking and recording things as well compared to Sky+.

The wishlist searches are a great idea though, but that was about the only thing I liked.

Luckily, when Virgin briefly lost ESPN last year it opened up a window of opportunity that allowed me to fully cancel all my services and return to Sky.

Absolutely spot on about the Tivo it's a great piece of kit but i too find it very clunky and slow too.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,699
    Forum Member
    Huh? :confused: You can set a series link (or a recording) with one 'click' from the EPG!
  • Tavis75Tavis75 Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Huh? :confused: You can set a series link (or a recording) with one 'click' from the EPG!

And you only have to do it once, unlike with Sky+ where you have to set it up again every time the series restarts (assuming you even know there is a new series starting).

TiVo blows Sky+ out of the water and is the reason I switched to VM for my TV after many years of Sky TV and VM internet.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also how good is the hub now? Last I heard it was very very poor on wireless.

I've had the superhub for a while now, at least a year I think, and I've never had a problem with the wireless.

I'm now on 30 speed (I dropped down from 50 a couple of months back to save money...and within the next month the free upgrade is taking me back up to 50 :D) and I pretty much get that speed all the time wireless.

In fact I often get more, I just did a test and got a result of 33.3.
  • OLD BOYOLD BOY Posts: 2,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I really don't understand your comments about the TIVO, Jason, unless you had a faulty machine. I have used the Sky + HD box from time to time when I go to my daughter's house, and there is no way I would think that was superior to the TIVO. For heaven's sake, you even have to record the on demand programmes before you can watch them on Sky!

Recording and series recording on the TIVO is as simple as it could be, you just click on the programme on the EPG and select whether you want to record or series record from the selection. There really is nothing difficult about it. Once you set the series record, it will remember to record the next series for you, and the next, etc.

My daughter has no choice because she can't get cable, but whenever she comes over to my place, she is so envious. The kids' viewing is a cinch, with not only the on demand selections, but with Netflix and the music juke box - they all love it and would prefer to have VM rather than Sky any day.

I have read over your comments again, Jason, I am just amazed and confused about how you could say that! However, as long as you are happy with Sky, that's fine for you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's a shame we can't get Sky Atlantic, although there are other ways of watching the shows on there. The fact that the OP doesn't watch it anyway means that this is not a deal breaker for him.

As for ITV Encore, this will just be repeats in the first year and I expect it will lose its exclusivity after the first year when it starts screening something more worthwhile.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OLD BOY wrote: »
    I really don't understand your comments about the TIVO, Jason, unless you had a faulty machine. I have used the Sky + HD box from time to time when I go to my daughter's house, and there is no way I would think that was superior to the TIVO. For heaven's sake, you even have to record the on demand programmes before you can watch them on Sky!

Recording and series recording on the TIVO is as simple as it could be, you just click on the programme on the EPG and select whether you want to record or series record from the selection. There really is nothing difficult about it. Once you set the series record, it will remember to record the next series for you, and the next, etc.

My daughter has no choice because she can't get cable, but whenever she comes over to my place, she is so envious. The kids' viewing is a cinch, with not only the on demand selections, but with Netflix and the music juke box - they all love it and would prefer to have VM rather than Sky any day.

I have read over your comments again, Jason, I am just amazed and confused about how you could say that! However, as long as you are happy with Sky, that's fine for you.

I fully appreciate a lot of people love TiVo and that's cool but for me it just didn't happen. My main issue with the series linking was recording priorities when I had multiple clashes, which I did on a few occasions.

If I was recording multiple things on a Thursday night, for example, and I had to record one more thing, I couldn't simply select the repeat showing on a Friday and series link that. I had to series link it anyway and then fart around with the recording priority list to make sure the program was picked up on another day.

But that's just me - I don't want to turn this in to a TiVo -v- Sky+ debate as it's not what the OP wants. I'm glad I got a chance to use TiVo, don't get me wrong, but I certainly wouldn't go back to it.

Although I might if Virgin offered to cut my SIM only deal in half ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fully appreciate a lot of people love TiVo and that's cool but for me it just didn't happen. My main issue with the series linking was recording priorities when I had multiple clashes, which I did on a few occasions.

If I was recording multiple things on a Thursday night, for example, and I had to record one more thing, I couldn't simply select the repeat showing on a Friday and series link that. I had to series link it anyway and then fart around with the recording priority list to make sure the program was picked up on another day.

But that's just me - I don't want to turn this in to a TiVo -v- Sky+ debate as it's not what the OP wants. I'm glad I got a chance to use TiVo, don't get me wrong, but I certainly wouldn't go back to it.

Although I might if Virgin offered to cut my SIM only deal in half ;)
    Nor me, Jason, but it was difficult not to make the comparison, given your comments.

Not quite sure I understand that example you have given, but this has never been a problem for me.

I only intervened because the OP was considering options and I didn't want these comments to be unduly influential. Most people like the TIVO, but I do acknowledge there are one or two dissenting voices as well.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,699
    Forum Member
    You should have just forced it to record all eps of whichever series you really want and, assuming the other one also has repeats available it will record the other show then instead and re-arrange the priorities list accordingly. (Actually what does is just shove the former show to the top of the list!)
  • Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    I do like the sound of the Tivo but having Sky for 13 years its hard to move away and get used to something else. Hmm decisions :(
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Central Cake

I can get you set up on mates rates if you want. Basically for £52.99 a month you'll get:

100mb broadband
    XL TV
    1 tivo box and an additional V HD box
    phone line with weekend calls

Just PM me if you're interested. You will need to send you details to my friend at VM though.
  • Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Central Cake

I can get you set up on mates rates if you want. Basically for £52.99 a month you'll get:

100mb broadband
    XL TV
    1 tivo box and an additional V HD box
    phone line with weekend calls

Just PM me if you're interested. You will need to send you details to my friend at VM though.

I ask myself "would I send my details to anyone who was not my friend or family member"?
  • jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ernie_C wrote: »
    I ask myself "would I send my details to anyone who was not my friend or family member"?

What like a bank or utility company? Unfortunately in life we do need to pass our details on for things to happen.
  • Philip NixonPhilip Nixon Posts: 1,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do like the sound of the Tivo but having Sky for 13 years its hard to move away and get used to something else. Hmm decisions :(

Why don't you ring Sky up and cancel I'll guarantee you get a discount off what you're paying now, But you must go thru with the cancellation, the person on the phone will offer nothing to you, after a couple of weeks a retentions person will ring you, providing you've got marketing calls ticked yes on your account page,. On that call they offered me 25% off for 12 months.

Sky are chucking discounts around like confetti right now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why don't you ring Sky up and cancel I'll guarantee you get a discount off what you're paying now, But you must go thru with the cancellation, the person on the phone will offer nothing to you, after a couple of weeks a retentions person will ring you, providing you've got marketing calls ticked yes on your account page,. On that call they offered me 25% off for 12 months.

Sky are chucking discounts around like confetti right now.

BIB this is true i fell behind with Sky payments due to losing job ended up getting services suspended, last week Sky rang up and wrote the entire debt of and switched my services back on. I think companies like Sky n VM are starting to look over their shoulders now with Netflix etc gaining numbers.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ernie_C wrote: »

It's a fair point. But you wouldn't have to give me your details, I'll just provide my friend's address (which is Virgin Media staff one) and you can mail him directly.

Still I can understand why people wouldn't . . . . .