Options

Do you have a portrait of yourself displayed in your home

Comments

• Options
    FaithyHFaithyH Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    I recently put a photo booth mugshot of my 18 year old on the wall, just trapped its edge under a print I have on the fireplace. I miss his little face since he went to uni. I really really really miss him. My other older son says it looks like his brother is dead, me doing that. And is now insisting I put his picture up as well.

lol aw it's quite sweet really :)
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=sweh;71713571In my parents' house there's a lot of self portraits of me, you'd think I died.
    .[/QUOTE]
    Same here. My parents moved into their new home a year ago now, but in every single room there is at least one photo of me, or me and my husband. You would think I was an only child, but no, I have a sister.

I dread to think what she thinks when she goes around.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FaithyH wrote: »
    lol aw it's quite sweet really :)

Ta Faithy.;-) I don't get why if he thinks it's creepy he wants me to do the same with a picture of him, too.:kitty:
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FaithyH wrote: »
    One of my friends does burlesque shows and she has a huge painting over her fireplace of her nude in stockings and heels. You can't see anything but i did go round for dinner once and her father in law to be was just staring open mouthed while her mum inlaw to be had a face like thunder. I would have taken it down for such occasions but i admire her chutzpa :D
    I went to a girls flat in Knightsbridge once where there were pictures of a naked woman on several walls, it took me ages to realise it was her. :D

It turned out, fairly obviously, that she was a model but I'd never heard of her...
  • Options
    ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple who live up the road from me aren't the most beautiful people you'll ever meet - yet they have above their fireplace a huge photograph of the pair of them dressed in their best cheap suits and gurning at the camera. It must be 3ft across and 4ft tall.

You have to try really hard not to look at it when you are in there.
  • Options
    Olls~Olls~ Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I put the one up that this street artist drew of me when I was in Paris a few years ago people would probably wonder why I have a portrait of Sara Cox on my wall :D Looks a lot more like her than me.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but strangely both my parents do in there separate houses: Dad has two mid-body portraits and mum has one in pencil.

Myself, I don't need a reminder of what I look like.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends whether or not that's in feet!

:D That might be considered slightly narcissistic.
  • Options
    DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My parents have pictures of me and my siblings wearing our gowns on their walls. I think they like to show off their kids achievements. I hate my picture :(
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't have a portrait of myself on the wall, and I'd be slightly perturbed if anyone else did - apart from my mum.

I remember watching Come Dine With Me once, where the hostess had a massive nude portrait of herself in the lounge. Her guests were cringing but she was very proud of her Rubenesque curves.
  • Options
    DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't have a portrait of myself on the wall, and I'd be slightly perturbed if anyone else did - apart from my mum.

I remember watching Come Dine With Me once, where the hostess had a massive nude portrait of herself in the lounge. Her guests were cringing but she was very proud of her Rubenesque curves.

I saw that episode :)

We used to go out with a couple who once showed us their holiday snaps of them posing on a nudist beach. I just burst out laughing, I just couldn't help it :D I think they thought we would find it some kind of turn on.:kitty:
  • Options
    BeanybunBeanybun Posts: 3,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a painting of me as a six or. seven year old (my uncle was a reasonably well known artist) but I certainly haven't got it up on the wall.

Can't read this thread without thinking of Brendan Rodgers...
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No oil painting portrait but when I was 29 I had a pro shoot done as a gift for my mum, and she got her favourite blown up to like, a1 size...I said 'MUM!! WTF are you gonna do with that?!' I don't think she's actually displayed it yet though.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    We have photo's of ourselves dotted around the place, and we are getting an engagement picture professionally done so that will be put up somewhere. To be honest though I wouldn't want our ugly mugs grinning down on us from above the bed it would give me nightmares:D Above the bed we have a large Quentin Blake picture instead.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    We have photo's of ourselves dotted around the place, and we are getting an engagement picture professionally done so that will be put up somewhere. To be honest though I wouldn't want our ugly mugs grinning down on us from above the bed it would give me nightmares:D Above the bed we have a large Quentin Blake picture instead.
    I love Quentin Blake's style, so distinctive.
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've just ordered one of those collage-type pictures which has our wedding photo at the centre, but around is at various pictures of our family and friends. It's to remind us of a happy day rather than because we want to look at ourselves. I think having a large picture of yourself hung up in the bedroom is a bit odd.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm might get a brass rubbing done of myself.

Or better still, an image of myself frozen in carbonite just like Han Solo.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    What is displayed on your walls?

No pictures or paintings of me, or anyone else for that matter.

I have a clock, a mirror, a dart board, football fixture list, a flag of the county of Saaremaa in Estonia, a photo of a bear, a calendar with pictures of York on it, and a hand-crafted walking cane.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    No pictures or paintings of me, or anyone else for that matter.

I have a clock, a mirror, a dart board, football fixture list, a flag of the county of Saaremaa in Estonia, a photo of a bear, a calendar with pictures of York on it, and a hand-crafted walking cane.

And lots of holes in the wall?
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    Oh yes. Me in a big chair in a dark red smoking jacket with a pipe.
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been in a few people's houses who have large prints up of those awful photos which involves them in weird poses against a white background for which bare feet seems to be compulsory.
    In my mum's house, if you're an adult, you have to be dead to warrant a frame and a place around the house. I only put pictures of my kids up if they really hate them :)
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    And lots of holes in the wall?

Nope. :cool:

It's not because of my expertise. Well, maybe slightly. :p It's mainly because it's in it's own little cabinet with doors that open up either side. There's a bit more leeway for errant darts there. Got about 5 or 6 inches clearance at the top and bottom the board where any stray ones will just hit the cabinet. Left and right is where the doors are when opened up so there's no chance of hitting the wall there, would have to be well over a foot off target.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a life size Holbein in the vestibule to greet guests.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    Nope. :cool:

It's not because of my expertise. Well, maybe slightly. :p It's mainly because it's in it's own little cabinet with doors that open up either side. There's a bit more leeway for errant darts there.

Mine was in a cabinet but i still managed to get holes in the wall, floor, ceiling, a bottle of Pepsi and my brothers leg.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a life size Holbein in the vestibule to greet guests.

Don't be ridiculous.

You wouldn't put the Holbein in the vestibule, far too gauche, you'd place it in the Grand Hall for maximum effect.