sport relief 2014

1414243444547»

Comments

• lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .....cue Alex Jones up a rock....not so much climbing as winching herself up. There's so many winches and pulleys, it can't have been that difficult.

I didn't see any winches or pulleys in use? She was using normal equipment used by climbers. Do you think the professional climbers with her just grabbed hold of the rope with their bare hands and pulled themselves up?
  • tinkerbell987tinkerbell987 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when Alex was screaming the guy that was just be low turned his head and started laughing....lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps more celebrities should start raising awareness for the homeless and those in need in the UK, instead of constantly giving third world countries that fail to understand the meaning of contraception, they keep on reproducing, keep on spreading aids & just expect the money to keep rolling in. Hell they couldn't even prove where each bit of money donated has gone to. Until they prove that they are doing something to reduce the risk of aids, they won't be getting a penny from me. British money for British Charities !.

All the appeals are careful to split the money between the UK and overseas. I don't see what AIDS has to do with it, lots of celebrities seem to support those charities to the exclusion of other worse killers. But Sport Relief have been concentrating on Malaria which I think kills more children than AIDS.
  • SnikpohSnikpoh Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I didn't see any winches or pulleys in use? She was using normal equipment used by climbers. Do you think the professional climbers with her just grabbed hold of the rope with their bare hands and pulled themselves up?

Exactly. She was using an ascender, as the rock face was near featureless. Still looked pretty tough going. Well done Alex :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind some of my money going to the Third World but a bit annoyed, to say the least, that so little was highlighted of the current very serious poverty in our own inner cities and elsewhere in Britain.

The poverty in the UK is at a completely different level, how many children have you seen living on rubbish dumps in the UK recently? How many infants have you seen having to work in dangerous unhealthy jobs rather than go to school?

Politicians are debasing the word to inflate the UK figures.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    Yeah. Horrific bike accident in the US. Left with epilepsy, no sense of taste and a changed personality.

Poor guy. Was wearing a helmet too.

Thanks, looked it up afterwards. Something was very obviously not right. I was thinking stroke but it did not seem to fit.
  • conceptasconceptas Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The poverty in the UK is at a completely different level, how many children have you seen living on rubbish dumps in the UK recently? How many infants have you seen having to work in dangerous unhealthy jobs rather than go to school?

Your statement trivialises child poverty in the UK of which I find rather disturbing
  • Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,429
    Forum Member
    And all that you so hate has just raised over £50m for charity. So what if a celeb has their ego massaged along the way?

You really don't have to watch, listen or donate.

I don't and I never used the word 'hate'. I was just giving an opinion, sorry it doesn't agree with yours but never mind :)
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when Alex was screaming the guy that was just be low turned his head and started laughing....lol
    Maybe she was being a pain. It must be hard for those trainers dealing with the egos of celebrities. I have to give them credit for raising money though
  • notlurkingnownotlurkingnow Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, looked it up afterwards. Something was very obviously not right. I was thinking stroke but it did not seem to fit.

At first I thought he was drunk or had had a stroke until I remembered his accident. It must have been hard to interview him as he was incomprehensible at times.

I have heard him speak on TV since the accident but he was never as bad as he was on this programme. I hope his condition has not got worse.
  • GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ooo Robbie Savage & Alan Shearer really put themselves in peril didnt they? Pathetic when you see what Jones & McCall did. Shameful really.
  • BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I did not support Sport Relief for the same reason I do not support Children in Need or charities such as Save the Children because of their support for so called child poverty in the UK
    Children in the third world have literally nothing, often no parents, no chance of an education, just sickness and hunger
  • rikstan87rikstan87 Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know the reason why the only fools sketch is not on you tube?
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Perhaps i'm quibbling here but in the OFAH sketch why was there no explanation as to how the Trotters came to know Beckham or why a multimillionaire footballer is using them to flog signed underpants in a South London market?

There was. Del Boy said he helped organise one of Beckham's sons' (Brooklyn) birthday parties, if I remember correctly.
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GrouchoM wrote: »
    ooo Robbie Savage & Alan Shearer really put themselves in peril didnt they? Pathetic when you see what Jones & McCall did. Shameful really.
    Its not a competition. Maybe they want to do something quietly and not with the attention that Davina and Alex's challenges brought with them. I think Shearer is known for supporting charities outside of sports relief.
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did you see how much money they raised?? It's the Money that counts, well done to them all.
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What did you do then? Pray tell.
  • conceptasconceptas Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tobi wrote: »
    Its not a competition. Maybe they want to do something quietly and not with the attention that Davina and Alex's challenges brought with them. I think Shearer is known for supporting charities outside of sports relief.

Shearer does contribute to many charities not in the limelight and has for many years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was. Del Boy said he helped organise one of Beckham's sons' (Brooklyn) birthday parties, if I remember correctly.

The Mail reported at the weekend that the boy who got Beckham's autograph on his football, was played by John Sullivan's grandson.