Options

The Sally pimping is getting ridiculous

124»

Comments

• Options
    DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Did I not say she has a stunning voice? I can't understand why you're pouncing on me - I don't have to blindly support her.

It is quite simple - if you make wide sweeping statements then don't be surprised if people respond. If you keep using the "she has had her chance" argument then I will reply as it is not only inaccurate (as explained by steampunk) but is a silly thing to say. As I said earlier she is new to me but I will certainly be looking out for her.
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Due to the format she will be in to the final over Bizzi which may be the correct decision to some.
  • Options
    Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    caz789 wrote: »
    ...which I believe is off-topic ;-)

Too true, and as a tea drinker I feel marginalised and treated without respect… So many t&cs broken by one small post
    :cry:
  • Options
    fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    Daewos wrote: »
    Why are you so obsessed about Sally's perceived failings? :o Why are you so desperate that she not have any chance to have another go at success? Since when are there only so many chances available for people? You keep going on about backing Dylan, being in the business for so many years but so what? Many musicians are in the same position and will toil away without getting huge success. Are you saying that once someone reaches a certain limit then people must stop following their dreams?

This is the first time I have heard of Sally. I have a very wide range of taste and am a huge fan of her style but had not heard of her. Many people could say the same. So the show has done what people think it should do - introduce new talent to viewers.

Or is it because she is a threat to your favourite I wonder?

Why do people insist on making this ridiculous argument up? It's as though I cannot form opinions on other people based on what I watch. It's quite menial and petty tbh.

I have again no idea why you and steampunk make your posts so dramatic about this. Again I like her but that doesn't mean I can't criticize her. For some reason she seems to be immune from it here. Again for the sake of repetition to drive the point home - I like her a lot, she has a beautiful voice. But she is not the best winner for the Voice. My point about having exposure and being in the business was not really about her stopping necessarily going for her dreams but rather evidence that she has not been a commercial success and so her winning will not be the best scenario for The Voice.

Also why you've both suddenly latched onto a point about Leverne and started discussing that is irrelevant really because 1) she's got nothing to do with it - she's NOT IN THE COMPETITION ANYMORE, 2) my argument is re Sally and how her pimping will mean her winning and how that will negatively affect the show.

And re Steampunk yeah shame on me for saying anything negative about her. :confused:
  • Options
    DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Why do people insist on making this ridiculous argument up? It's as though I cannot form opinions on other people based on what I watch. It's quite menial and petty tbh.

I have again no idea why you and steampunk make your posts so dramatic about this. Again I like her but that doesn't mean I can't criticize her. For some reason she seems to be immune from it here. Again for the sake of repetition to drive the point home - I like her a lot, she has a beautiful voice. But she is not the best winner for the Voice. My point about having exposure and being in the business was not really about her stopping necessarily going for her dreams but rather evidence that she has not been a commercial success and so her winning will not be the best scenario for The Voice.

Also why you've both suddenly latched onto a point about Leverne and started discussing that is irrelevant really because 1) she's got nothing to do with it - she's NOT IN THE COMPETITION ANYMORE, 2) my argument is re Sally and how her pimping will mean her winning and how that will negatively affect the show.

And re Steampunk yeah shame on me for saying anything negative about her. :confused:

When you actually bother reading posts correctly then I will answer your questions. Please go back through my posts and tell me where I used Laverne as part of my argument. And then reread your won posts to see if you can spot why I take issue with what you have said.

I have to say for someone you like a lot you have a funny way of showing it. You like her so much yet she deserves no more chances? Make your mind up will you? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member

I said shame on you for trying to belittle her achievement and claiming it's only because of BBC 'pimping' her, if you are going to be negative fine, but you can be negative and not diminish someone's talent at the same time. If it's your opinion that you don't like her enough then that is fair enough it is your opinion. But there is no need to make out like Sally doesn't deserve to win because the show wants it and not because she is good enough. It's like a backhanded compliment. You won't say to someone like Banksy - 'you're a great artist, but stick to canvas and paint if you want to be successful like Monet, a real artist'.

My problem is that you are hypocritical - you complain about Sally saying she has had her chance - yet willingly support another contestant who was also having another shot at fame, having given up the first time. You also claim to like Sally, support her and think she has a beautiful voice yet because she has had her chance and for you isn't 'commercial' or 'the best winner' you think she shouldn't win. You're dismissing Sally as a 'mainstream' artist before you have given her a chance, when she doesn't even need to be in order to be successful. That is not just tactical but unfair.

And don't you realise how contradictory your claim is? If the BBC would really be concerned about the show and whether to bring it back or not, they would not pimp out the person who you think shouldn't win because she is not good enough to be 'mainstream' and could damage the show. And I don't know who said it but like they said, an older generation is not an ideal target audience. Even programmes like Countryfile, Flog It and Bargain Hunt want a younger audience despite being a show predominantly for the older generation. Not because they are ageist or anything but because it's the younger generations which could keep the show going. They are the ones that are more likely to give them the social media hype, the new ideas and the best chance for future shows.

Look at the coaches, each one was selected with a target audience in mind... Tom for the older generation, Will for the teens - young adult viewers and urban/current music lovers, Kylie for the males and for that 'middle age' generation (the ones who watched Charlene and Kylie in the 80's) and Ricky for the indie/rock lovers and for the girls. Except for Tom however they are all aimed at the younger viewers. Their whole show is centered around social media hype, itunes/music sales, song choices (when they tell the contestant 'you made it your own and modern/fresh'. They all try and talk the way Will does because they think its 'down with the kids' (as my dad would say). It's not that they don't want an older generation, it's just in the tv industry it's all about attracting the young generation more than any other.

To pimp Sally out would be too much a risk for the producers, they were more likely to have pimped Christina Marie, Georgia (because of Adele) Chris or Rachel out. It would have also been better for them to have kept in Anna (because she had something different) and Vicky considering she is Danny Jones from McFly's sister if the show was trying to manipulate it's viewers for ratings and winner success.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pimping or not, some of us have loved Sally from the start. I think she appeals to all walks of life, not just older people. My husband's fairly young and mainly into rock and blues music, and he thinks Sally is the best of the bunch on this season of The Voice. I love everything about her, and she sings with real feeling, not just belting it out or showing off vocal gymnastics, as so many seem to. I like several of the other acts too, but Sally is the only one who has really given me the shivers-down-the-spine factor so far.
  • Options
    CARA2000CARA2000 Posts: 10,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillypanda wrote: »
    Shouting does not equal a good voice, imho of course :)

Sally has no need for shouting, nor for any histrionics, which is a very pleasant change

Sally and Christina can both sing, but they are very different. I am supportive of both.

If you don't like Christina then fair enough, but you can hardly say she doesn't have a good voice. She is technically brilliant. Fresh out of being a teenager imo she is still allowed a few "histrionics" when it means so much.

I certainly would not expect "histrionics" out of Sally as she has maturity and life experience to draw on. She has had time to be less "histrinonic" about the passing of a close loved one, for example. ;-)

Christina comes over a very responsible girl who knows what she wants. In addition to her obvious talent I think that surely is a trait and reason to show at least a little empathy?
  • Options
    gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CARA2000 wrote: »
    Sally and Christina can both sing, but they are very different. I am supportive of both.

If you don't like Christina then fair enough, but you can hardly say she doesn't have a good voice. She is technically brilliant. Fresh out of being a teenager imo she is still allowed a few "histrionics" when it means so much.

I certainly would not expect "histrionics" out of Sally as she has maturity and life experience to draw on. She has had time to be less "histrinonic" about the passing of a close loved one, for example. ;-)

Christina comes over a very responsible girl who knows what she wants. In addition to her obvious talent I think that surely is a trait and reason to show at least a little empathy?

I've explained myself and been told off several times for having an opinion.

I saw her Blind Audition, I didn't like her and found her over-confidence and showing off to be extremely off-putting. That's purely my opinion after seeing her on stage for probably 45 minutes in total :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not too sure that anyone is over excited about Sally to be honest. She is a decent singer , but no more than thant. Like Sam Bailey, she might last for a few months and then drift away from the limelight.

Sally hardly looks like she is desperate to be in the limelight and is doing this for that alone. . :D

Susan Boyle has been around for a lot longer than "a few months" and has not drifted away.

There are many artists out there who are not over-hyped and having medium to long-term careers. They are not here today and "drift away" artists.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillypanda wrote: »
    I've explained myself and been told off several times for having an opinion.

I saw her Blind Audition, I didn't like her and found her over-confidence and showing off to be extremely off-putting. That's purely my opinion after seeing her on stage for probably 45 minutes in total :)

Well it is about The Voice so over-confidence and showing off is irrelevant. It is not what makes them turn.

May be you should have seen the Blind Auditions blindfolded? :p:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CARA2000 wrote: »
    Well it is about The Voice so over-confidence and showing off is irrelevant. It is not what makes them turn.

May be you should have seen the Blind Auditions blindfolded? :p:D

Does anyone do that? Well, not literally, but do you close your eyes to try to hear what the judges hear? I do it to repeat-listen if someone has been really impressive or if the judges' decisions have puzzled me and it makes a big difference. I'm sure there's someone out there in a red vinyl swivel chair going for the whole experience in their living room :D ... In fact we have a red swivel chair upstairs. Might have to drag it down into position.
  • Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pet Monkey wrote: »
    Does anyone do that? Well, not literally, but do you close your eyes to try to hear what the judges hear? I do it to repeat-listen if someone has been really impressive or if the judges' decisions have puzzled me and it makes a big difference. I'm sure there's someone out there in a red vinyl swivel chair going for the whole experience in their living room :D ... In fact we have a red swivel chair upstairs. Might have to drag it down into position.

Great point. There does seem to be a lot of angst over Sally even having the temerity to enter the competition in the first place. Almost as if they need to turn the show into XF for one reason or another. Thankfully people have taken on board it is The Voice & vote for singing ability rather than how someone looks as well.
  • Options
    caz789caz789 Posts: 4,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too true, and as a tea drinker I feel marginalised and treated without respect… So many t&cs broken by one small post
    :cry:

No, I meant they are off topic, not you:D
    Though you're right your post was off-topic as well. Oh, no, now mine is off-topic, I hope we are not banned:cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    caz789 wrote: »
    No, I meant they are off topic, not you:D
    Though you're right your post was off-topic as well. Oh, no, now mine is off-topic, I hope we are not banned:cry:

I know!
    We're staging a Protest. :cool:
    Sure to be banned now, which is just as well in my case... months before I can build up a new unhealthy obsession about SCD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said shame on you for trying to belittle her achievement and claiming it's only because of BBC 'pimping' her, if you are going to be negative fine, but you can be negative and not diminish someone's talent at the same time. If it's your opinion that you don't like her enough then that is fair enough it is your opinion. But there is no need to make out like Sally doesn't deserve to win because the show wants it and not because she is good enough. It's like a backhanded compliment. You won't say to someone like Banksy - 'you're a great artist, but stick to canvas and paint if you want to be successful like Monet, a real artist'.

My problem is that you are hypocritical - you complain about Sally saying she has had her chance - yet willingly support another contestant who was also having another shot at fame, having given up the first time. You also claim to like Sally, support her and think she has a beautiful voice yet because she has had her chance and for you isn't 'commercial' or 'the best winner' you think she shouldn't win. You're dismissing Sally as a 'mainstream' artist before you have given her a chance, when she doesn't even need to be in order to be successful. That is not just tactical but unfair.

And don't you realise how contradictory your claim is? If the BBC would really be concerned about the show and whether to bring it back or not, they would not pimp out the person who you think shouldn't win because she is not good enough to be 'mainstream' and could damage the show. And I don't know who said it but like they said, an older generation is not an ideal target audience. Even programmes like Countryfile, Flog It and Bargain Hunt want a younger audience despite being a show predominantly for the older generation. Not because they are ageist or anything but because it's the younger generations which could keep the show going. They are the ones that are more likely to give them the social media hype, the new ideas and the best chance for future shows.

Look at the coaches, each one was selected with a target audience in mind... Tom for the older generation, Will for the teens - young adult viewers and urban/current music lovers, Kylie for the males and for that 'middle age' generation (the ones who watched Charlene and Kylie in the 80's) and Ricky for the indie/rock lovers and for the girls. Except for Tom however they are all aimed at the younger viewers. Their whole show is centered around social media hype, itunes/music sales, song choices (when they tell the contestant 'you made it your own and modern/fresh'. They all try and talk the way Will does because they think its 'down with the kids' (as my dad would say). It's not that they don't want an older generation, it's just in the tv industry it's all about attracting the young generation more than any other.

To pimp Sally out would be too much a risk for the producers, they were more likely to have pimped Christina Marie, Georgia (because of Adele) Chris or Rachel out. It would have also been better for them to have kept in Anna (because she had something different) and Vicky considering she is Danny Jones from McFly's sister if the show was trying to manipulate it's viewers for ratings and winner success.

It's about time they put a limit on words on these forums. The more the argument becomes personal, the longer the word count. It's like a form of brainwashing, if ever one gets to read it all. I can't and don't. I usually scan these long diatribes because they seem designed to beat down the person who is disagreeing. It goes off at all tangents and doesn't really stick to the original discussion but mainly serves to try to humiliate the other person.

Having said that and got it out of my system, I stand by my opinion that Sally isn't going to sell many albums. She may hit number 7 in the album charts like Andrea did - but that will be mainly the viewers who voted for her, putting their money where their mouths are - it doesn't take many these days to hit the top of the charts. Those stats. are quite out dated now anyway.

And for fear of making my comment as long as some people's, let me close by saying Sally had her chance - she can sing, she knows how to hold a note, she even has some quality to her voice. But as the thread OP says, she is being pimped to win. No bout adoubt it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eh, she's already sold more albums than many of these finalists will. :confused: If TV work revitalises her career, good for her. Should open a few doors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eh, she's already sold more albums than many of these finalists will. :confused: If TV work revitalises her career, good for her. Should open a few doors.

Exactly the point I was making less succinctly. Album sales isn't really an indicator of talent or ability. It's more about who buys them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sheikaman wrote: »
    Exactly the point I was making less succinctly. Album sales isn't really an indicator of talent or ability. It's more about who buys them.

Was that your point? It wasn't mine here. To be strictly accurate, I can't make it fit your previous statement either.

it's no doubt true. Witness One Direction. Occasionally reputations are deserved however. A small, worked-for and honourable career made out of talent and dedication is to be applauded in the age of instant gratification. As Sally said, she's paid her dues. Still don't like her Waterboys cover mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monaogg wrote: »
    Great point. There does seem to be a lot of angst over Sally even having the temerity to enter the competition in the first place. Almost as if they need to turn the show into XF for one reason or another. Thankfully people have taken on board it is The Voice & vote for singing ability rather than how someone looks as well.

I get it. So next year, when Sir Tom Jones auditions, it will be just fine. He won't be a coach, obviously. Or what about Jose Carreras? I'd definitely vote for Carreras.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was that your point? It wasn't mine here. To be strictly accurate, I can't make it fit your previous statement either.

it's no doubt true. Witness One Direction. Occasionally reputations are deserved however. A small, worked-for and honourable career made out of talent and dedication is to be applauded in the age of instant gratification. As Sally said, she's paid her dues. Still don't like her Waterboys cover mind.

You said that she had already sold more albums than many of these finalists ever will - does that include her, by the way?

And I said that I said that less succinctly - that is, I said that album stats. are outdated as a mode of judging talent and quality and success. Something like that. In my head, it fits. She may have sold some albums, and maybe will again, but that doesnt make her a great singer.
  • Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You said that she had already sold more albums than many of these finalists ever will - does that include her, by the way?

And I said that I said that less succinctly - that is, I said that album stats. are outdated as a mode of judging talent and quality and success. Something like that. In my head, it fits. She may have sold some albums, and maybe will again, but that doesnt make her a great singer.

Pharrell Williams has not got the strongest or greatest voice in the world, yet has produced one of the most popular songs of all time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's about time they put a limit on words on these forums. The more the argument becomes personal, the longer the word count. It's like a form of brainwashing, if ever one gets to read it all. I can't and don't. I usually scan these long diatribes because they seem designed to beat down the person who is disagreeing. It goes off at all tangents and doesn't really stick to the original discussion but mainly serves to try to humiliate the other person.

Having said that and got it out of my system, I stand by my opinion that Sally isn't going to sell many albums. She may hit number 7 in the album charts like Andrea did - but that will be mainly the viewers who voted for her, putting their money where their mouths are - it doesn't take many these days to hit the top of the charts. Those stats. are quite out dated now anyway.

And for fear of making my comment as long as some people's, let me close by saying Sally had her chance - she can sing, she knows how to hold a note, she even has some quality to her voice. But as the thread OP says, she is being pimped to win. No bout adoubt it.

If you can't read it all and choose not to, then you should not really comment, since you do not know what I was addressing in the comments. I was addressing each and every point made by fireemblemcraze. I notice you did not actually counteract anything I said, just continued to state your opinion while dismissing what everyone else has put. You don't have to agree and continue to hold your opinion as fact, but the fact remains 'pimped' or not Sally deserves to be on the show, to show off her talent and to be loved and appreciated for it.

Just because YOU don't like her having this second chance and want her to be disregarded as a winner, because YOU deem her unworthy of being a winner does not mean she should be by everyone else. Support who you want to support and let other people support their favourite, mine just happens to be Sally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can't read it all and choose not to, then you should not really comment, since you do not know what I was addressing in the comments. I was addressing each and every point made by fireemblemcraze. I notice you did not actually counteract anything I said, just continued to state your opinion while dismissing what everyone else has put. You don't have to agree and continue to hold your opinion as fact, but the fact remains 'pimped' or not Sally deserves to be on the show, to show off her talent and to be loved and appreciated for it.

Just because YOU don't like her having this second chance and want her to be disregarded as a winner, because YOU deem her unworthy of being a winner does not mean she should be by everyone else. Support who you want to support and let other people support their favourite, mine just happens to be Sally.

Then that's all you have to say. 'I like Sally' and then go on to say why. Not try and decimate the opinions of others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Then that's all you have to say. 'I like Sally' and then go on to say why. Not try and decimate the opinions of others.

Have your opinion of her, I don't care. It doesn't affect my opinion of her. Again you state your opinion yet dismiss everyone else's without actually given a justified reason for your dislike of her. It's not because you think she can't sing (which being a singing contest, is a key point of the show), you don't seem to like her because 'she has had her chance' and you THINK she is being pimped, Yet as pointed out by a few people, including myself, there are problems behind that theory. Yet both you and fireemblemcraze seem to ignore the points made and just focus on the opinions that you don't agree with. I don't expect you to change your opinion, and I don't care if you do or not. This is simply a discussion forum. But it's simple - don't state such a harsh and degrading opinion if you don't expect people to disagree strongly with you.