Options

Have I Got News For You - Series 47

Comments

• Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-few-soundbites-short-3376416

An interesting piece here which suggests the joke may not be that far off the mark. Of course it is all the errors of youth Farage would say if it is true.

Hardly the most impartial newspaper!
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Hardly the most impartial newspaper!

Is any newspaper impartial?
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is any newspaper impartial?

No but the Mirror takes it to a different level. Weren't they deeply involved in perhaps the worst attempted smear of a British politician.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No but the Mirror takes it to a different level. Weren't they deeply involved in perhaps the worst attempted smear of a British politician.

Wasn't that the Mail with the lies about Ed Miliband's father?

Anyway the article is talking about a letter from his former teacher. I wonder if his teacher at the time saw into the future and decided to write the letter in order to smear him some years later?
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Which smear are we talking about, and I'msure we can see many more horrendous smears from the Mail, Express and the Sun that are much worse.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched it on iPlayer. Almost spat my drink out when Paul said his line on the Prince Philip/Pope picture... :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Ignoring the somewhat takeover of Nazi comments :o, I wasn't going to watch this episode because I not a fan of Jennifer Saunders but she was fine. Ian and Paul were on form. Nice ending with Paul on the caption competition. :D

Clever stuff from Jennifer in the end, the first comment was bound to inflame some idjits, but after that she made no real reference to it, whilst being perfectly competent and funny.
  • Options
    TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's quite ironic that on a programme designed for intelligent humour the funniest line was a good old fashioned swear!
  • Options
    Gary HallidayGary Halliday Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No doubt many of you will be delighted to hear that Nigel Farage is on next Friday's show. I wonder if he'll be on Merton's team!
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No doubt many of you will be delighted to hear that Nigel Farage is on next Friday's show. I wonder if he'll be on Merton's team!

Oh Lordy Lordy Lordy!
  • Options
    bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way that Lefties always try to associate anyone from the Right with being Nazi gets boring. I always think that the Nazis were much closer to the Left - state control of everything, authoritarian etc.

Riiiiight. So sweeping statements about right wingers are annoying. But it's okay for you to make sweeping statements about 'lefties'?

Anyway, don't wish to continue with the derailing of this thread. I thought Jennifer Saunders was a terrific host, but that wasn't surprising; she's a clever, funny woman. Richard Osman is also great as a panellist. Sadiq Khan was trying a bit too hard, but overall the show was very funny. And I loved the Prince Philip/Pope comment from Paul!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I'm going to the taping of the next episode on Thursday! Do we know yet who the other guest and host will be apart from Farage?
  • Options
    Gary HallidayGary Halliday Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to the taping of the next episode on Thursday! Do we know yet who the other guest and host will be apart from Farage?

According to the Telegraph TV guide, host is Stephen Mangan and the other guest is Roisin Conaty, whoever that is.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A... the other guest is Roisin Conaty, whoever that is.

"The Woman"
  • Options
    eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    Sadiq Khan and Rowan Atkinson are never seen in the same room.

Jennifer Saunders was looking rather good, she ageing well, some well timed patter as well.

Would you have made the same comment about Hislop or Merton? Brian Blessed or Damien Lewis as presenters? :confused:

Good to see sexism is alive and well!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    According to the Telegraph TV guide, host is Stephen Mangan and the other guest is Roisin Conaty, whoever that is.

Thanks! :) Roisin Conaty is the woman (as it were!) from Impractical Jokers. Not a bad lineup.
  • Options
    LordBobbinLordBobbin Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    eluf38 wrote: »
    Would you have made the same comment about Hislop or Merton? Brian Blessed or Damien Lewis as presenters? :confused:

Well nobody could claim that Merton's ageing well. And Ian Hislop was probably 40 years old even when he popped out of his mother's womb.

And please don't tell me that women don't jump to similar thoughts about 'attractive' men. Listen to a bunch of women discussing football, for instance, and it's rarely the merits of a 4-4-2 against a Diamond formation that they spend long hours expanding on...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You are joking I take it?
  • Options
    eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LordBobbin wrote: »
    Well nobody could claim that Merton's ageing well. And Ian Hislop was probably 40 years old even when he popped out of his mother's womb.

And please don't tell me that women don't jump to similar thoughts about 'attractive' men. Listen to a bunch of women discussing football, for instance, and it's rarely the merits of a 4-4-2 against a Diamond formation that they spend long hours expanding on...
    You are joking I take it?

Of course I'm not joking. Men on this thread get commented on because of how comedic / pathetic / unpopular they are, but the poster I quoted judged the guest host based on how well she was aging. If we were discussing America's Next Top Model it would be a valid comment, but what the hell has JS's face got to do with comedy? Or her ability as a comedian? It's a patronising attitude to have.

I don't see anybody else judging the male panelists based on how they look or how 'well' they age. We've seen how the BBC treats women once they're no longer suitable for hi-def TV (i.e. pushing 50), and it's the double standards that annoy me. Men are judged by their ability to be entertainers or presenters, whereas women are expected to be competent and easy on the eye - or else they don't get work.

I'm sure it was a throwaway comment by the poster, but it's still one that irks me. If you're going to make a point about someone's age it should be for relevant reasons. If he'd said Hislop and Merton are looking a bit rough around the edges too I wouldn't see reason to comment - but it was obviously done because Saunders is a woman and therefore subject to a set of different 'TV totty' rules. If she's witty and eloquent neither her looks nor her age should be an issue or worthy of comment.

EDIT - and whilst I'm at it, I don't agree with 'quota' of women either. You're either funny enough to hold your own, or you're not. I would be mightly offended to be offered a job because I ticked some equality box at the BBC.
  • Options
    LordBobbinLordBobbin Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    You don't get that many 'attractive' male guests appearing on this show, so you're not as likely to get as many comments of that kind from women.

I noticed on an earlier thread that Damien Lewis got a few comments from female posters about being a smoothie and a sweetheart. Dan Snow got the odd comment as well - and may have got one or two more, had he not been a total arse.

Go to the Graham Norton thread, and there're plenty of female posters who're praising Russell Crowe for things other than his acting ability...

Many of us tend to like good-looking members of the opposite sex. It's not our fault that women have so many little tricks and assets that allow them to increase their attractiveness several-fold...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course I'm not joking. Men on this thread get commented on because of how comedic / pathetic / unpopular they are, but the poster I quoted judged the guest host based on how well she was aging. If we were discussing America's Next Top Model it would be a valid comment, but what the hell has JS's face got to do with comedy? Or her ability as a comedian? It's a patronising attitude to have.

I don't see anybody else judging the male panelists based on how they look or how 'well' they age. We've seen how the BBC treats women once they're no longer suitable for hi-def TV (i.e. pushing 50), and it's the double standards that annoy me. Men are judged by their ability to be entertainers or presenters, whereas women are expected to be competent and easy on the eye - or else they don't get work.

I'm sure it was a throwaway comment by the poster, but it's still one that irks me. If you're going to make a point about someone's age it should be for relevant reasons. If he'd said Hislop and Merton are looking a bit rough around the edges too I wouldn't see reason to comment - but it was obviously done because Saunders is a woman and therefore subject to a set of different 'TV totty' rules. If she's witty and eloquent neither her looks nor her age should be an issue or worthy of comment.

EDIT - and whilst I'm at it, I don't agree with 'quota' of women either. You're either funny enough to hold your own, or you're not. I would be mightly offended to be offered a job because I ticked some equality box at the BBC.
    Wow. What a sad outlook that means you cannot pay a compliment now.

Your edit is ironic in that it's people with your initial outlook that have resulted in that sexist ruling being introduced.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member

Well Hislop was caked in makeup to make him look relatively presentable. He looked a lot better on his documentary the other night.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks! :) Roisin Conaty is the woman (as it were!) from Impractical Jokers. Not a bad lineup.

She's been on '8 out of 10 cats' too - good on that, hopefully will do well on HIGNFY too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conaty's apparently been on HIGNFY before but don't know how she got on.

She's not unattractive but no stunner so I suppose we'll just have to put up with her...;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just rewatched the full version of last weeks episode, and I can't quite believe I got in a full-blown argument about Hitler, based on a totally throwaway line by Merton. Very weird. I apologise but I wonder if UKIP supporters are a tad defensive.