Options

Champions League QF: Bayern Munich vs Manchester United - April 9th 2014

Comments

• Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,699
    Forum Member
    Carragher about the United defence when Robben scored........

'When you're in your 30's at the end of the game, you are down, your legs are burning and you can't get near these players'.

Robben is aged 30 and he seemed to dance around the United players to score that goal, in the situation he was commenting on!!

Excuses Carragher .... no excuses with match fitness the amount that these players are paid, and they are paid to be fit.
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stunty wrote: »
    Shame United couldn't hang on there... they had the chance.

United should have celebrated that goal more and Moyes should have done a Mourinho and run down the pitch to tell them what to do. :D

Took the restart far too quickly ...... always pays to have a long celebration!!

:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excuses Carragher .... no excuses with match fitness the amount that these players are paid, and they are paid to be fit.

Wages really has no relevance.
  • Options
    General LunacyGeneral Lunacy Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not quite the thread but how sharp were Atletico tonight. And tactically good.

As for Barca, they seem to use Messi as a distraction, a bit part player. Maybe they don't intend it but he stands around playing the odd one-two. He wasn't on it tonight either.
  • Options
    Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    Carragher about the United defence when Robben scored........

'When you're in your 30's at the end of the game, you are down, your legs are burning and you can't get near these players'.

Robben is aged 30 and he seemed to dance around the United players to score that goal, in the situation he was commenting on!!

I'll choose to take the word of a defender who has been in his 30s playing the game and been through it rather than the "they earn loads of money innit" approach..
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    It feels good knowing that Barca are out. Whoever we play in the semi will be a very tough opponent, but at least it won't be them - I'm bored of playing them where it's happened so often.

Don't worry, you can go back to meeting us in the CL next season. :p
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Everyone says Bayern were poor tonight and at old trafford. I agree sort of. But the fact is they still managed to win 4-2 overall without breaking much of a sweat.
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Dunno who I want Chelsea to get that has the best chance of knocking them out. Can't stand mourinho or the bloody chavs. However I think every team suits them in different ways.

Atleti- Chelsea have so much more experience than them in final rounds of the CL not to mention they are divided between league and CL with a smallish, injury prone squad.

Real- Mourinho knows all about them.

Bayern- I can see Chelsea pulling off their final tactics and going similar to united. Except Chelsea wouldn't switch off after scoring.
  • Options
    General LunacyGeneral Lunacy Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They came alive as soon as Utd scored.

Suddenly the game was more open and they looked a bit like Bayern again.
  • Options
    KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robben scores. Game over.
    Ah, yes... The same old trick. Nice to see it still works. Never underestimate a one-trick pony. :D
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They came alive as soon as Utd scored.

Suddenly the game was more open and they looked a bit like Bayern again.

The sign of a good side. They weren't particularly good over the 2 legs, but stepped it up when they needed to to get the job done.
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    The sign of a good side. They weren't particularly good over the 2 legs, but stepped it up when they needed to to get the job done.

also helped by their majestic midfield as opposed to our crumbling one. :(
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    United could of panicked Bayern but instead they committed the cardinal schoolboy error in letting in straight from the restart. They did ok I thought overall but Rooney should of been on the bench. Clearly not fit to start.
  • Options
    super-eaglesuper-eagle Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That Bayern defence is a joke, but Utd couldn't take the numerous half chances they had.
  • Options
    StarryNight1983StarryNight1983 Posts: 4,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jokanovic wrote: »
    United could of panicked Bayern but instead they committed the cardinal schoolboy error in letting in straight from the restart. They did ok I thought overall but Rooney should of been on the bench. Clearly not fit to start.

But he gets paid £330,000 a week to be shit - he must be laughing all day everyday:D
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dunno who I want Chelsea to get that has the best chance of knocking them out. Can't stand mourinho or the bloody chavs. However I think every team suits them in different ways.

Im sorry, but there is banter and there is going too far, and the bib is too far.

If we all as fans said things like this about our rival fans, this forum would soon descend into an unreadable mess.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    Chelsea will win it now.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Everyone says Bayern were poor tonight and at old trafford. I agree sort of. But the fact is they still managed to win 4-2 overall without breaking much of a sweat.

This is why i am wondering why deluded Utd fans are saying "we didnt embarrass ourselves" So if 3-1 isnt embarrassing then what is, 4-1?
    Utd were well and truly easily beaten by an under strength Bayern side who didnt get out of 2nd gear simply because they didnt need to.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member

Rooney shouldnt have been in the squad, a truly desperate measure by Moyes
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, if only United had got their heads in gear a bit quicker after they scored, who knows what might have happened. There was no time for doubts to start creeping into the Bayern minds.
    I wasn't that impressed with Bayern, and don't buy this "playing in second gear" business. Souness was lavish with his praise about them, but they looked fairly ordinary at times. Bayern had players missing, but they were also playing a weakened United side. They have an easy ride in the Bundesliga, and seemed to struggle for a long time to raise their game..Robben excepted of course, he was a constant menace throughout.
    Rooney clearly wasn't fit, but in a game like that I can understand why Moyes took the gamble.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chelsea will win it now.

No not for me, the team that I have backed for a while, the team that I think will win the double, Atlectico Madrid will, even without Costa, they are still the most dangerous team left in the competition.
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    No not for me, the team that I have backed for a while, the team that I think will win the double, Atlectico Madrid will, even without Costa, they are still the most dangerous team left in the competition.

According to you Chelsea were "practically out" after the first leg ;)

Ah only slagging, but I think they've a great shout. Anyone can win it from here imo.

Chelsea have the most solid defence left by a distance for me. It could prove enough- the way Bayern played over the 2 legs v MU for example I couldn't see them having too much joy in breaking Chelsea down.

It's all to play for though.
  • Options
    DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Atletico get drawn against Chelsea I don't think they will be playing Courtois who is arguably one of the best keepers in the world. Apparently there is a clause in his loan agreement that if he is picked to play against Chelsea, Atletico have to shell out quite a lot of money to Chelsea.
  • Options
    Trickster999Trickster999 Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No way were Bayern poor at OT.....it was the most one sided game I have EVER seen
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    No way were Bayern poor at OT.....it was the most one sided game I have EVER seen

Not really. Full of lateral passing around the middle, they looked all at sea when they got towards the United box. Bar the goal they barely had a chance. I think Utd can nearly count themselves unfortunate they didn't win that. If Welbeck was a half-decent finisher, they'd have gone 1 up earlier than they did

Bayern look very beatable to me. They were completely on the rack in the first half at the Emirates too. Only for Ozil's embarrassing penalty they would have been behind early aswell