Have I Got News For You - Series 47

Comments

• Aidan11Aidan11 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This show needs shaking up. Now it just seems to be Hislop having a go at an MP on the panel (when they have one) and Merton just doesn't seem interested any more.

I would prefer it If Merton became the permanent host and they got a younger comedian to take his place. Hislop should still stay but lay off the MPs, or at least not spend the entire show laying into them. He's better than that.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    At least Henning was trying to be involved. Long had one quip and that was it. I thought maybe she made contributions but they were edited out of the standard edition but it seems not.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rubbish last night, havent they used up the "Lets take the P out of UKIP " by now.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having the token woman on comedy panels is clearly not working.
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A rather enjoyable half hour for me, and I will never tire of UKIP getting ripped. They are comedy gold from top to bottom.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,539
    Forum Member
    An excellent episode last night. I love Martin Clunes as the host he looks like he is really enjoying himself.

I didn't realize quite how bad Jamica Inn was from seeing those clips :o
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very good episode, and yes I agree Clunes is a great host, doesn't take things too seriously, and is generally irreverent about everyone.
  • conceptasconceptas Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Refreshing to see Jo Coburn on the show even though she is one of the 'great legs but hidden away' brigade :)
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Funniest line of the night when they were talking about Gordon Brown in the independence debate and Jo Coburn said hes still popular in Scotland and Clunes responded yes with the midges:D
    Forum Member
    alan29 wrote: »
    Having the token woman on comedy panels is clearly not working.
    I doubt the idea was aimed at HIGNFY or political journalists.
    They've always had women on the show and mostly they aren't comediennes.
    Forum Member
    It was a bit flat. Coburn for the first half seemed to not want to laugh/smile even though you could tell she wanted to at some of the comments.

Vegas has slipped too far the other way from his rants which ruined shows in the past. He didn't make much impact being more reserved.
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,465
    Forum Member
    Jack Dee tonight folks complete with Charlie Brooker and Bridget Christie
    Forum Member
    Chrstie wasn't that impressive last time. She got a couple of quips/put downs in but that was it.
  • JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,660
    Forum Member
    Well she was poor tonight. As was the episode as a whole again, I thought.
  • MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only tuned into this because I genuinely thought the continuity announcer said "Have I Got News for You, this week hosted by Jet Lee" but disappointingly it turned out to be Jack Dee.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joooe wrote: »
    Well she was poor tonight. As was the episode as a whole again, I thought.

Yes they've spent the last two weeks mainly attacking UKIP, I thought comedians were supposed to be anti-establishment? I think we need a revolution in comedy similar to the alternative one in the 1980s, to sweep away the current crop who are the equivalent of the golf-playing mainstream comedians the alternative comedians got rid of.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have I Got News For You has attacked the main 3 parties for as long as I've been watching. Even tonight, the first story they talked about did not involve UKIP but a scandal involving a Conservative MP. When UKIP members make comments about associating gays with the weather and telling comedians to go to a black country, they're making a target of themselves.

I thought tonight's episode was the best one since the Jennifer Saunders one. Bridget Christie was alright too.
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont really like Jack Dee but I agree tonights show was very good
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Have I Got News For You has attacked the main 3 parties for as long as I've been watching. Even tonight, the first story they talked about did not involve UKIP but a scandal involving a Conservative MP. When UKIP members make comments about associating gays with the weather and telling comedians to go to a black country, they're making a target of themselves.

I thought tonight's episode was the best one since the Jennifer Saunders one. Bridget Christie was alright too.

Still not as bad as a Lib Dem MP (?) we had down here in Cornwall - made the news by saying that disabled children should be out down. He later resigned, but after a by election stood for office and was re elected, then went on to make the same comments again!
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought that was the best HIGNFY for ages. Charlie Brooker was sharp. Thought Bridget Christie got under the skin of the ever-smug Ian Hislop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes but when the political establishment are attacking UKIP and they do the same that makes them look like the establishment as well doesn't it?
  • ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this has been a much better series than the last (or was it this time last year - one was particularly bad.) I think this is mainly due to having tried and trusted hosts generally and often the same for the guest panellists - though a few of the latter have been poor. I enjoyed tonight's although it maybe wasn't quite as good as I was expecting considering jack Dee/Charlie Brooker would both be amongst my favourite of the guest hosts/panellists I've seen previously.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought tonight's episode was the best for a long time. Usually there is one dud among the panel members, but everyone appeared to be on good form.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moleskin wrote: »
    Yes but when the political establishment are attacking UKIP and they do the same that makes them look like the establishment as well doesn't it?

Both Have I Got News For You and the main 3 parties are using the same material to attack UKIP but for different reasons. The main 3 parties are doing it because there's elections soon and HIGNFY is doing it because it's funny. For UKIP at the moment, any publicity is good publicity so HIGNFY focusing on them is doing them a favour, if anything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Readingfan wrote: »
    I think this has been a much better series than the last (or was it this time last year - one was particularly bad.) I think this is mainly due to having tried and trusted hosts generally and often the same for the guest panellists - though a few of the latter have been poor. I enjoyed tonight's although it maybe wasn't quite as good as I was expecting considering jack Dee/Charlie Brooker would both be amongst my favourite of the guest hosts/panellists I've seen previously.

I don't think Charlie Brooker has ever been good on panel shows.