Options

Watermen; A Dirty Business..BBC2.

Comments

• Options
    denddend Posts: 2,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really glad this is on TV, as i work in the water industry. Its amazing how many problems are caused by people putting stuff down the drain that they shouldnt(i.e. only really water/toiler paper should be going down, that means not even milk should be poured down the drain!), and the hassle it causes to fix including time/money and the effects it has on customers.

There is plenty of other big topics im sure they will focus on in future episodes - leakage, water quality, environmental impact of discharges from sewers, customer complaints, drouts, severe weather, flooding etc.

Everyone should be watching this programme imo! Its a bit watered down but still a very worthwhile watch for awareness of what happens behind the scenes in getting water to, and waste from customers homes, which is such a vital part of our daily lifes. We literally could not live without water.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I take it nobody watched this week then, Jamaica Inn's got all the punters.
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it, I'm going to really think about what I put down the drains from now on,I can't believe how impatient people are when they have their water cut off for emergency repairs, it should make them appreciate what a fantastic water system we have in this country not make them angry because it very occasionally
    goes wrong
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take it nobody watched this week then, Jamaica Inn's got all the punters.

I watched the first ten minutes or so, but as I'm suffering from a rather upset stomach at the moment I had to turn over!

Will watch it in a few days when I feel better..:)
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    Taxi driver guy annoyed me, that poor water guy standing there, all he could do was tow the company line - he only goes there to fix it when his boss tells him.
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newda898 wrote: »
    Taxi driver guy annoyed me, that poor water guy standing there, all he could do was tow the company line - he only goes there to fix it when his boss tells him.

They all annoyed me except for the lady who had bought the house with an illegal water supply
  • Options
    pward1965pward1965 Posts: 289
    Forum Member

Exactly; no point complaining at the guys and girls on the front line; their priorities are set by others. Taxi driver did come over as a bit of a whinger.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I did think after a while 'OK chap, give it a rest, your leak is low priority, so probably keeps getting bumped down the list'
    'It's gushing' No chap that's not gushing that's an annoying large puddle.
    'Why didn't they knock on and tell me they were leaving?' because you're not the one they're accountable to.

Really wanted to know more about the whole treatment process.
    Oh, yet more blokes and woman, rooting around in raw sewage without a tyvek paper babygrow in sight.

Why wasn't the developer of those properties prosecuted or at least cross charged for the costs involved in plumbing in those houses.
    Pretty sure it's illegal to tap into 'water board' pipes without their permission, it's their property after all.
    In my experience (very limited) you can install you pipework up to their pipes, then they come along and tap into their line and connect it up.
  • Options
    james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the people complaining about the leak on the road annoyed me saying I'm trailing it through the house every time I come home, why not take your shoes off before you enter surely it's common sense
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    james_W85 wrote: »
    the people complaining about the leak on the road annoyed me saying I'm trailing it through the house every time I come home, why not take your shoes off before you enter surely it's common sense

That's exactly what we thought. Coupled with, I wonder if they are looking to make a claim?

Mind you, a little bit of communication from the water company during the 7 weeks might have calmed the residents down a bit.
  • Options
    roverboy1965roverboy1965 Posts: 1,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice the workers out in the field we are seeing are not actually water company employees but work for United Utillities which is a very large contracting company.

It's surprising how little work is actually done "in house" anymore by Utillities, as where I live groundwork is done by Balfour Beattie and when I had a blockage Dyno-Rod came out to clear it on behalf of the water company.
  • Options
    HelenThereseHelenTherese Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    I notice the workers out in the field we are seeing are not actually water company employees but work for United Utillities which is a very large contracting company.

It's surprising how little work is actually done "in house" anymore by Utillities, as where I live groundwork is done by Balfour Beattie and when I had a blockage Dyno-Rod came out to clear it on behalf of the water company.

Sorry you are wrong. United Utilities IS the water company NOT a 'very large contractor' and hence do most of the work "in house". They used to be called North West Water about 20 years ago.

They do employ contractors like Balfour Beattie to do some of the big engineering projects but they are the actual water board/utility and hold the license to supply water and are regulated by OFWAT.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    The one's fixing the leak in the road were contractors.
  • Options
    storminmikestorminmike Posts: 46,928
    Forum Member
    Sorry you are wrong. United Utilities IS the water company NOT a 'very large contractor' and hence do most of the work "in house". They used to be called North West Water about 20 years ago.

They do employ contractors like Balfour Beattie to do some of the big engineering projects but they are the actual water board/utility and hold the license to supply water and are regulated by OFWAT.
    The one's fixing the leak in the road were contractors.

Coughs....you're both sort of right

Water Mains repairs Amey/Enterprise
    Sampling: In house
    Customer Inspectors: Inhouse
    Labs: In house
    Wwtw: In house
    WTW: In house
    Impounding reservoirs, catchment:In house

Water comes to the fore in Episode 4 and 5...includes trucks driving for miles through Haweswater Aqueduct inspecting

ps...works for UU;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ps...works for UU;-)

Now a TV star too?
  • Options
    storminmikestorminmike Posts: 46,928
    Forum Member
    Now a TV star too?

The show was commisioned by BBC2 not UU so in certain ways the good/bad is not under UU's control....weirdly that's why occasionally the logo gets blurred out:confused:

It was filmed mostly last year by Mentorn...they did canvas for "stars":D

I'm almost certain I'm not in it but I know a few of those who are:D In a later episode a friend of mine Joe (who knew loads about the Manchester Ring main and Aqueducts) retires and I might be "in the crowd clapping":D

Interesting facts
    42,000km Water Mains
    72,000km sewers
    Haweswater Reservoir (Lake District) holds 84,000 million litres of water
    Around 500,000 water quality samples are taken every year and analysed by the labs
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    One of those programmes, your pleased you can't smell - and watching in HD, is not a must.:o
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind a 100 quid compensation cheque.
  • Options
    tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deffo a lesbo.
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh gawd....all that poo...:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There's pooh! Everywhere!
  • Options
    HelenThereseHelenTherese Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    Coughs....you're both sort of right

Water Mains repairs Amey/Enterprise
    Sampling: In house
    Customer Inspectors: Inhouse
    Labs: In house
    Wwtw: In house
    WTW: In house
    Impounding reservoirs, catchment:In house

Water comes to the fore in Episode 4 and 5...includes trucks driving for miles through Haweswater Aqueduct inspecting

ps...works for UU;-)

The bit I was trying to correct was about UU not being the water utility but a large contracting company. I know there's a bit of contracting going on too with Amey, Enterprise, BB etc.

I think some of the logos are blurred out so as not to be seen as promoting the company too much with it being on the stock market. A certain percentage are allowed to be visible.

P.s. I work for UU too ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No thoughts on part 4 with the 'big inspection', Swimming baths or even the synchronised swimmers?
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    No thoughts on part 4 with the 'big inspection', Swimming baths or even the synchronised swimmers?
    That inspection: mega planning for that, a bit scary and Bond like too.

I remember the Pool, if it's the same, from the Restoration programme with Griff Rhys Jones.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Evening bump.