The Ratings Thread (Part 59)

Comments

• Doctor BenchDoctor Bench Posts: 4,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would anyone have a breakdown for last night's EastEnders by any chance?
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Hopefully most of these viewers will stick around. The murder mystery is the driver so they'd better have it feature significantly for the next few months. One of the problems it had before was a big storyline would go off the boil for weeks while the actors were on holiday so all momentum would be lost.

And it also shows that there is an audience there for it on BBC1. Talking about iPlayer band BBC3 figures felt like excuses for low BBC1 ratings.

I agree but they should also try to get the new viewers invested in the other big storylines, such as Carol's cancer and the Carters, so that they have more reasons to tune in than just this storyline, or else they risk losing them when the storyline takes a back seat some weeks.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    I agree but they should also try to get the new viewers invested in the other big storylines, such as Carol's cancer and the Carters, so that they have more reasons to tune in than just this storyline, or else they risk losing them when the storyline takes a back seat some weeks.

Well obviously the murder storyline cant sustain the whole program for 10 months so that is being used to get viewers involved with other stories too - still feel though that there is bound to be a drop off from these heights.
    Forum Member
    I agree Holby isn't in a good place right now. I mean what was last nights episode all about.

I had the misfortune of catching Holby last night and it must have been close to being the worst episode ever - and apparently got 5m on the EE bounce. :o
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EastEnders will do well with the soap viewers and not anyone else.
  • dillandillan Posts: 2,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ex on the Beach scored high ratings for MTV UK last night (April 22).

The new reality dating series achieved the highest average audience among 16-34s for a launch episode of a new series in the channel's history.

It attracted an average audience of 328,000 at 10pm on Tuesday, with 250,000 being aged 16-34.

This is 34% higher than the launch of Geordie Shore in 2011 and 73% higher than that of The Valleys in 2012.

MTV UK was ranked second behind BBC One during the timeslot for the 16-34 age range.
  • Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    I had the misfortune of catching Holby last night and it must have been close to being the worst episode ever - and apparently got 5m on the EE bounce. :o

Agree I just don't no what's gone on. Plus personally I don't like the new guy in charge I much preferred Hanson. Also what was all that singing about.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EastEnders will do well with the soap viewers and not anyone else.

And why do you think that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well obviously the murder storyline cant sustain the whole program for 10 months so that is being used to get viewers involved with other stories too - still feel though that there is bound to be a drop off from these heights.

If they can get people into the show through this and have ratings hit 8m more regularly then it will have done well.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dillan wrote: »
    Ex on the Beach scored high ratings for MTV UK last night (April 22).

The new reality dating series achieved the highest average audience among 16-34s for a launch episode of a new series in the channel's history.

It attracted an average audience of 328,000 at 10pm on Tuesday, with 250,000 being aged 16-34.

This is 34% higher than the launch of Geordie Shore in 2011 and 73% higher than that of The Valleys in 2012.

MTV UK was ranked second behind BBC One during the timeslot for the 16-34 age range.

Only thing stopping something like that from getting good ratings is the lack of Freeview.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When is Broadchurch back? 2015?
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,279
    Forum Member
    I always knew viewers would return to EastEnders. Heard all this rubbish about casuals being lost forever and disagreed and got slated for it. Shows what good storylines,Decent promotion and word of mouth can do. Topped with an EP that had passion and understands the show that's not afraid to take risks. Theres no reason for viewers not to return Thursday. A massive summer with 3 huge storylines planned too. Naturally BGT will dent it but if the BBC runs it Tues-Fri at 7:30 like last year it will hold up very well.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,279
    Forum Member
    Hopefully most of these viewers will stick around. The murder mystery is the driver so they'd better have it feature significantly for the next few months. One of the problems it had before was a big storyline would go off the boil for weeks while the actors were on holiday so all momentum would be lost.

And it also shows that there is an audience there for it on BBC1. Talking about iPlayer band BBC3 figures felt like excuses for low BBC1 ratings.
    It does....It runs alongside 2 other huge storylines in the summer and had a twist planned for that and the run up to Christmas.
    Forum Member

I dont think that is entirely fair. We will get iplayer ratings in the future so they are part of the picture but I always complained about BBC3 ratings not being include as it artificially depressed EE ratings every day to the tune of 3-400k. It was always and still is a huge anomaly.
  • Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok guys another request. Anything for that new Spring Kitchen on BBC one please?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think that is entirely fair. We will get iplayer ratings in the future so they are part of the picture but I always complained about BBC3 ratings not being include as it artificially depressed EE ratings every day to the tune of 3-400k. It was always and still is a huge anomaly.

I have no problem with iPlayer and BBC3 ratings being quoted. I do have a problem with people assuming the low ratings on BBC1 were down to people watching on iPlayer or the BBC3 repeat instead.

When a programme is popular it gets all three. Being in the low 7m range and then having the "people watch differently now/it's all about iPlayer" reasoning was maddening. EastEnders is always capable of getting 7.8m and upwards bit wasn't due to the mess the programme was left in by the previous regime.

Being close to 8m regularly is where EastEnders should be and I hope it does this more often going forward.
  • allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »
    I always knew viewers would return to EastEnders. Heard all this rubbish about casuals being lost forever and disagreed and got slated for it. Shows what good storylines,Decent promotion and word of mouth can do. Topped with an EP that had passion and understands the show that's not afraid to take risks. Theres no reason for viewers not to return Thursday. A massive summer with 3 huge storylines planned too. Naturally BGT will dent it but if the BBC runs it Tues-Fri at 7:30 like last year it will hold up very well.

The promotion has worked an absolute treat. Now these are the shares EE should be pulling on a regular basis. 38% is utterly superb and thoroughly well deserved for an excellent episode and a very raw, quirky story. James Payne wrote a blinder yesterday.

Shows that, regardless of weather of iPlayer or other nonsense, that if there is a good story, people will watch. Everything else is just an excuse.

The challenge for EE is keeping within the 36-37% range and possibly nudge 40% for the really big episodes later on in the year.

The 'massive summer' stuff reminds me of the summer of 2010 which I remember being big for EE with the Lucas reveal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does....It runs alongside 2 other huge storylines in the summer and had a twist planned for that and the run up to Christmas.

EastEnders was in a terrible state before the new producer took over. It's good to see some good ratings for all of the effort the team have been putting into the programme. I expected The Carters, Stacey's return or Janine's trial to deliver a couple of big ratings but it didn't happen.

I like the fact that it was the death of a character, that I didn't feel was iconic, and Ian Beale's grief that have helped give the show some of its best ratings in months. A character there from day 1 helping the show get back to ratings glory. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The promotion has worked an absolute treat. Now these are the shares EE should be pulling on a regular basis. 38% is utterly superb and thoroughly well deserved for an excellent episode and a very raw, quirky story. James Payne wrote a blinder yesterday.

Shows that, regardless of weather of iPlayer or other nonsense, that if there is a good story, people will watch. Everything else is just an excuse.

The challenge for EE is keeping within the 36-37% range and possibly nudge 40% for the really big episodes later on in the year.

The 'massive summer' stuff reminds me of the summer of 2010 which I remember being big for EE with the Lucas reveal.

With the right story you can get the ratings. The majority of the BBC1 EastEnders audience wasn't lost to iPlayer or BBC3. It was just lost. Being steady with 7m and 30% share is not where EastEnders should be.

Anybody that thinks the new producer was brought in to keep ratings at 7m on BBC1 is deluded. He was brought in to get BBC1 ratings back up. And fingers crossed it is seeing the green shoots of recovery.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The casual audience was very nearly lost forever, you can't disagree with that. The amount of times you said over the past year "I fully expect EastEnders to be over 8million next week with the MASSIVE storyline starting"but nothing ever materialized.

Its only for the fact DTC produced this great storyline and the BBC promoted EE so much (bigger than they've ever done before, with trails between ever ad break) that got viewers tuning in.

Why is every storyline you describe have to be 'massive' and 'huge'?
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter Capaldi's character the Cardinal will be killed off screen in the next series of The Musketeers.

I think this is a bad move as he could possibly return in a future series, unless of course that it a hint that the next series will be the last!?

Also Law & Order UK is supposed to be a very gripping episode tonight, so hopefully it does well and hold up against Jamaica Inn
    Forum Member
    dubsj wrote: »
    When is Broadchurch back? 2015?

Thats what we believe - will definately give a much needed boost to ITV in the new year.
    Forum Member
    Peter Capaldi's character the Cardinal will be killed off screen in the next series of The Musketeers.

I think this is a bad move as he could possibly return in a future series, unless of course that it a hint that the next series will be the last!?

Also Law & Order UK is supposed to be a very gripping episode tonight, so hopefully it does well and hold up against Jamaica Inn

Odds on I would say - it cant increase ratings that much next year can it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No doubt they will. Currently though the big story has to be at the forefront for a couple of weeks. Then if people like what they see of the other stories they will stick around.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    HBO onboard BBC One's 'The Casual Vacancy' adaptation, confirmed as three episodes which surprises me, expected five or six. http://www.screendaily.com/news/hbo-boards-jk-rowlings-casual-vacancy/5070912.article

Filming in the summer, read elsewhere that it's mid-June until the end of August. Could still air this year.
This discussion has been closed.