Films' aspect ratio on Channel 5 HD

Robin McInnesRobin McInnes Posts: 87
Forum Member
I'm not a frequent watcher of films, but there have been a few oldies on Channel 5 HD lately that caught my eye, and I recorded them on my Sky+.

There were couple of war films a few weeks back, A Bridge Too Far and another one about a bridge that I can't remember the name of, and yesterday afternoon there was an old black & white Margaret Rutherford Miss Marple.

I don't know the exact aspect ratio of these films, but I'm sure they were all originally wider than 4:3 because the intro sections of them which included title captions were all shown in 4:3 'letterbox' so as not to miss out the wording at the edge of frame. (This made the films appear to be a small 16:9 'picture within a picture' surrounded on all sides by black on my 16:9 HD TV.)

As soon as the titles had finished rolling, each of these films became full-size 4:3 aspect ratio, so I'm sure there would be stuff missing from them all on each side edge of the 4:3 frame which would have been there if broadcast in 16:9.

I'm thinking about writing to Channel 5 and having a whinge, but I thought it might be prudent to establish first if there is any good reason why they should choose to broadcast widescreen films on an HD channel in 4:3 aspect ratio.

I can't think of one myself. Can anyone else please?

Comments

• AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    Channel 5 don't seem to care much about picture quality and ratio aspects. This is the only terrestrial channel who decided to pass on putting an HD channel on Freeview.
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They often show films in 4:3. They've probably had them for donkeys years and just have never bothered getting the 16:9 ones. There's no real explanation for it.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 5 are tight and haven't bothered updating their film rights to obtain films in their original aspect ratio. They were happy to take them as 4:3 (what the majority of TV was when they started) and they signed long standing film deals with some studios, and it wouldn't surprise me if some of those deals are still in effect.

They also have horrible placement of their on screen graphic when 4:3 content is shown, it's far too intrusive. How this is not noticed by someone at the station and corrected is beyond me. It's nothing short of incompetence.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's great discussion about this with Libretio's stirling work in this thread. This is the latest line-up of 'wider than 1.85:1 films' and, as you've seen, C5 hardly ever get it right.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=72267434&postcount=3064
  • Robin McInnesRobin McInnes Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Thanks all. So basically, the reason is that old chestnut: Money.

I feel more confident to whinge to Channel 5 now.

(That Libretio thread is an awesome read!)
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to watch movies to enjoy the story. If the aspect is circular, I really don.t give a hoot!
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    I tend to watch movies to enjoy the story. If the aspect is circular, I really don.t give a hoot!

To most of us film buffs, its very important. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh dear, you remind me of the clever bloke behind me in the mid-90s when I went to see Wesley Snipes' film Drop Zone, as a plane passed the screen, but the sound carried all the way round the auditorium. He said: "Hear that? That's NICAM stereo, that is!"
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Oh dear, you remind me of the clever bloke behind me in the mid-90s when I went to see Wesley Snipes' film Drop Zone, as a plane passed the screen, but the sound carried all the way round the auditorium. He said: "Hear that? That's NICAM stereo, that is!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I know just the type :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I know just the type :D

Still makes for a great anecdote to this date. Those two blokes were complete arseholes. Even made noises about claiming they sneaked into the auditorium...

Then again, it was the Manchester Showcase where they weren't completely on the ball.
  • groovesectiongroovesection Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »

A friend of mine got a new TV recently due to the DSO, I went round one evening and he said
    "What do ya think of the new TV? The HD looks amazing"
    I dare not tell him it was a Freeview DVB-T only TV :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend of mine got a new TV recently due to the DSO, I went round one evening and he said
    "What do ya think of the new TV? The HD looks amazing"
    I dare not tell him it was a Freeview DVB-T only TV :D

LOL, he's not one of those people who work for Currys, is he? They stretch 4:3 images across 16:9 TVs because they're too thick to understand the issue with it :D
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Channel 5 just don't give a flying ferk about their viewers and never have.

The only PSB channel not to have at least it's main HD free. Those who could get it with an old Sky card had that taken away without any notice or care. Just a reply to the questions about it with a "Yes we can confirm that we have ferked you off and don't give a damn".

It's a shitty little channel.
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member

That's if you can follow the story with one character cut off. Or all of them going "WOW!" at something you can't see.

It's not as the director made the story and would prefer you to see it as he/she intended.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remember it's not long ago that some people on this forum were complaining about black bars on their TVs. "I bought a 60 inch TV and I want a 60inch picture", etc. etc. Some transfers were, mistakenly in my opinion, done zoomed in to satisfy these people, some DVDs such as Gosford Park are the same sadly. Movies 4 Men was showing a letterbox version of a 21x9 film recently, you could zoom in on it but the quality was the too poor to watch.