Options

Tiki-taka or Parking the Bus

Comments

• Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last season it was a delight to watch Bayern, but last night was awful. It's not entertaining seeing one side just keep the ball, without getting anywhere.

If you support a team, and they're winning, you put up with anything I suppose, but as a neutral, I'd much sooner watch a competitive, end to end game every time.
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    I hesitate to give my views in anything other than the LFC thread these days (and even there it can be attacked) after the way my last big venture out about a week ago was received - but I will try to be reasonable (as I believe I always am).

I need to ask myself if I was a CFC fan would I be happy with a 0-0 draw in the first leg in the CL semi if it was away. The answer? - undoubtedly yes so I don't think CFCs critics have too much of a case. A similar sort of question - if I was a Stoke fan from when they were in the Championship and I saw a manager get us up to the PL and survive there would I be happy? - of course. As a fan to a large degree you do not worry how the team plays you just want to see them score more than the opposition (or the same as!!)

Now I think most would admit that watching Barca and other attack minded teams is more entertaining than parking the bus type teams (althio I have seen that disputed by some) but at the end of the day if you are a manager and are not sure you have the players to play like Barca and by parking the bus you can get a result then you'd park the bus obviously.

It is up to the attacking teams to break them down - it is a common dilemma to have and sometimes they do it and sometimes they don't. In such matches early goals make it more entertaining but at the end of the day results are the most important thing - and as long as you played within the rules you have the right to play any way you want to get a result.

My only beef a bit with JM in these instances are the way he can sometimes have a go at lesser teams who park the bus to frustrate his CFC players at SB as they think it is the best chance of a result - but then he does the same with CFC when they play a hard away game.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hesitate to give my views in anything other than the LFC thread these days (and even there it can be attacked) after the way my last big venture out about a week ago was received - but I will try to be reasonable (as I believe I always am).

I need to ask myself if I was a CFC fan would I be happy with a 0-0 draw in the first leg in the CL semi if it was away. The answer? - undoubtedly yes so I don't think CFCs critics have too much of a case. A similar sort of question - if I was a Stoke fan from when they were in the Championship and I saw a manager get us up to the PL and survive there would I be happy? - of course. As a fan to a large degree you do not worry how the team plays you just want to see them score more than the opposition (or the same as!!)

Now I think most would admit that watching Barca and other attack minded teams is more entertaining than parking the bus type teams (althio I have seen that disputed by some) but at the end of the day if you are a manager and are not sure you have the players to play like Barca and by parking the bus you can get a result then you'd park the bus obviously.

It is up to the attacking teams to break them down - it is a common dilemma to have and sometimes they do it and sometimes they don't. In such matches early goals make it more entertaining but at the end of the day results are the most important thing - and as long as you played within the rules you have the right to play any way you want to get a result.

My only beef a bit with JM in these instances are the way he can sometimes have a go at lesser teams who park the bus to frustrate his CFC players at SB as they think it is the best chance of a result - but then he does the same with CFC when they play a hard away game.

That's a perfectly reasonable post, Alan.

I agree completely.
  • Options
    Super Dog ManSuper Dog Man Posts: 4,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Find a way to win. No problem with it, unless the manager has complained about it in the past and then uses it as a tactic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's a perfectly reasonable post, Alan.

I agree completely.

Law of averages I will do reasonable posts sometimes :D - no seriously thanks for that comment!!
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me Madrid was the fav's going into the game, They are further along with the project then Chelsea.

Yes we will hear the same old boring drums about how much money has been spent but if that mattered in football the teams that will win things this season would be very difference, As for the players on each team (that played on the day) I dont really see much difference between them apart from in a attacking sense then Madrid win hands down (even if we opened up more), Yes while Chelsea have more experence in winning things the Madrid side are very very hungry to to the double

Was we underdogs? Maybe not in the tradional football meaning but they was the team I wanted to avoid more then the others. The other two although great teams I think are perfect for Chelsea to go and beat.

I think in the end it boils down to different people going about things a different way, I myself will always pick a defensive route to a final, Keep the other team from playing their natural game and force them to work harder then you do. Frustrate them and generally get on their nerves, Some rather go about it another way.

Both of them might get you to sucess and at the end of the day thats all that matters.

I admire Jose's defensive work while cannot stand the attacking work of some managers (who are great managers and very good at their jobs). I enjoy watching Jose's football and it has lead to some sucess for my club, Is it the only way? Nope, Is it the best way? Nope is it one way? Yes

We did not "need" to play the way we did but I am very pleased we did and will remain pleased if we lose the next leg and will remain pleased if we win the leg
  • Options
    kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member

I am a Liverpool fan and I would never be happy if we played like Chelsea did on Tuesday night. And yes that does mean of we drew on even won.

Sorry but for me, it is not just about results. The team should always aim to score goals and win the game.

Luckily we now have a manager who has a philosophy which entertains fans and who will not just accept winning is the only thing that matters.

Also remember it is far easier to send out a team to just Park the bus and defend rather then setup a team to be creative and score goals.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    one second of losing concentration or one bad clearance and you can concede, so its not easy at all, requires a lot of discipline.

football is not the same as the games on playstations and xboxes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    I am a Liverpool fan and I would never be happy if we played like Chelsea did on Tuesday night. And yes that does mean of we drew on even won.

Sorry but for me, it is not just about results. The team should always aim to score goals and win the game.

Luckily we now have a manager who has a philosophy which entertains fans and who will not just accept winning is the only thing that matters.

Also remember it is far easier to send out a team to just Park the bus and defend rather then setup a team to be creative and score goals.

Don't get me wrong of course I much prefer the way BR teams play than the way CFC played on Tuesday but at times LFC (and most other teams) have had to play in a defensive way in an away European game to enable them to win the tie ultimately - maybe we might even have to do so again next season? - and if it got a result as a fan I was happy.
  • Options
    PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    one second of losing concentration or one bad clearance and you can concede, so its not easy at all, requires a lot of discipline.

football is not the same as the games on playstations and xboxes.

he said easier
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kobashi100 wrote: »

I don't know how old you are, but I think you will find the great Liverpool sides of old often played that way in European away games. Of course, that was the old European Cup and away goals didn't count double. A 0-0 draw away from home was perfectly acceptable, often considered a minor triumph in fact..depending on the opposition. Of course the home leg at Anfield would usually be completely different, with Liverpool attacking in wave after wave, virtually unstoppable.

But my point really is that all clubs set out to give themselves an advantage. If it means keeping it tight, that's what they'll do. If they believe they have the players to throw caution to the wind and blow the opposition away, then they'll do that. Teams play to their strengths and try to make it as difficult as possible for the opposition. I don't think that's any different if it's a pub team or the best sides in the world playing in the CL.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is more than one way to cook chicken.

There are times when parking one of Arriva's, Stagecoach's or First's finests is necessary, just as passing the opposition to death is necessary sometimes.

There is no 'right' way to play football; you just have to win & as long as you do that within the laws of the game, then so be it!
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont see anything "easy" or "easier" about playing intellegent defensive football against one of the top teams in Europe.

I would say its more easy or easier to play attacking football against them not saying you would be any more or less sucessful
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is more than one way to cook chicken.

There are times when parking one of Arriva's, Stagecoach's or First's finests is necessary, just as passing the opposition to death is necessary sometimes.

There is no 'right' way to play football; you just have to win & as long as you do that within the laws of the game, then so be it!

exactly. nothing else left to say.
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    Now you are possibly trolling?

Oscar, hazard, schurrle, Willian , lampard play no different to them?

Really?

Classic, pot kettle and black at arguably one of the longest serving trolls here.Those who played on Tuesday played just like we used to in 93/94, the difference is your players were a) better footballers and b) cost a shed load of money.
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know how old you are, but I think you will find the great Liverpool sides of old often played that way in European away games. Of course, that was the old European Cup and away goals didn't count double. A 0-0 draw away from home was perfectly acceptable, often considered a minor triumph in fact..depending on the opposition. Of course the home leg at Anfield would usually be completely different, with Liverpool attacking in wave after wave, virtually unstoppable.

But my point really is that all clubs set out to give themselves an advantage. If it means keeping it tight, that's what they'll do. If they believe they have the players to throw caution to the wind and blow the opposition away, then they'll do that. Teams play to their strengths and try to make it as difficult as possible for the opposition. I don't think that's any different if it's a pub team or the best sides in the world playing in the CL.

Indeed. If only we were all as young as Kobashi and the game was beautiful.
    Liverpool used to play classic European football and they were superb at it.
    Shut up shop away, smash them at home.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is 0-0 away from home really such a great result? That leaves the home team in the 2nd leg more vulnerable to going out on away goals.

The away goals rule has been used for all European games since 1970-71.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is 0-0 away from home really such a great result? That leaves the home team in the 2nd leg more vulnerable to going out on away goals.

I've never understood why so many people are happy with 0-0 draws away from home in the first leg of European ties.

If you're going to play for a draw, then a score draw away from home in a first leg tie is far better result, as it allows you the option to park an Optare Diesel/Electric Hybrid single decker in the return leg at your home ground & try not to concede any goals.
  • Options
    big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never understood why so many people are happy with 0-0 draws away from home in the first leg of European ties.

If you're going to play for a draw, then a score draw away from home in a first leg tie is far better result, as it allows you the option to park an Optare Diesel/Electric Hybrid single decker in the return leg at your home ground & try not to concede any goals.

Yeah, quite simply a goalless draw is worst type of draw you can get away from home in European tie. The higher the score draw, the better the result it is for the away team.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of all teams, Chelsea should be very wary of the risk in playing for a 0-0 draw after what happened to them in the 2009 semi against Barcelona.
  • Options
    carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,050
    Forum Member

Fair comment as was the rest of your post. Mourinho can undoubtedly be hypocritical at times. The only thing I will say is that he's far from being alone in that within the game, most managers are much the same.

Personally as a fan I've never had an issue with the likes of West Ham playing for a 0-0 when they come to the Bridge. They're entitled to play how they like within the laws of the game, just as we are. Teams and managers have to do what they have to do.
  • Options
    carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,050
    Forum Member

Well it's a lot more preferable to losing the game, surely?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Blimey, you're right. I could have sworn it was later than that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big mac wrote: »
    Yeah, quite simply a goalless draw is worst type of draw you can get away from home in European tie. The higher the score draw, the better the result it is for the away team.

It's certainly the worst draw, there's no argument about that. But home advantage used to be considered massive for the major teams in Europe, perhaps more so than it is today ? If you could come back with a 0-0 from a trip to one of the European giants, you fancied your chances on a big night at home in front of your own supporters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's a lot more preferable to losing the game, surely?

Well, obviously.

We're talking about 'parking the bus', so to speak, in first leg European ties away from home.

If a team plays like that & comes away with a 0-0 draw, they're extremely vulnerable in the 2nd leg at home.

A team is better off trying to score an away goal at the very least & if they come away with a score draw, that's far more advantageous.