The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 56)

Comments

• portugalportugal Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Philipp Kirkirov........he represented Russia in 1995, when he looked more human.

You reckon? :)

http://youtu.be/mZTZPE1mV2s
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    portugal wrote: »

dat perm :o:o:o
  • BethnalGreenBethnalGreen Posts: 12,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    He knows how to apologise, doesn't he? :D

Well, I have to say that this is lovely compared to some of the crap I have been getting from Armenians recently? Not all of them are bad, indeed some of them are lovely. However the abuse is endemic! I mean I like Armenia as a song but there is only so much abuse one person can take! lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QuartzMan wrote: »

Heard it on the radio before, but only just got round to watching this, as I've been in work since 3pm - very funny indeed. She got bloody soaked! :D
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At this point I feel it's worth pointing out that of the 7 times the OGAE have done a poll in this way, they've correctly predicted the winner on 4 occasions, plus a top 5 in 2010. This "kiss of death" everyone goes on about is a total myth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OGAE

Well 2 of their 4 hits were blindingly obvious (Rybak and Loreen). And let's not forget the 2002 and 2003 OGAE polls which were ridiculously wrong, so their hit rate is 4 out of 9... or 44% . Not exactly the kiss of death but more often wrong than right...you'd have to go to the London Douze Points ESC club night for a real kiss of death: their track record: 2 right, (Rybak and Loreen), 12 wrong (16% success rate). Frontrunners for their Final vote next Thursday: Sanna Nielsen and Conchita Wurst !
    Past 'winners' include 2 songs that failed to get to the final, one that came last in the final and one that came 21st.

http://www.douzepoints.org/archive.html
  • hilduffluvahilduffluva Posts: 3,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you lot read the ESCForum thread since the official Molly video has come out? Such a fun read! (Im talking in the UK thread obviously)
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,855
    Forum Member
    Toy_Hero wrote: »
    I'm still adamant that Sanna is the one to beat this year. Undo is one of those songs you know that is gonna score highly with the juries because it's the typical big ballad that commands a lot of attention. It's already getting an immense amount of love online, not to mention topping a lot of polls. In my eyes, it's hers to lose.

Agree and disagree really, its a decent enough Ballad, but I can't imagine casual televoters going for it, its not unique enough and is VERY Eurovision by numbers IMO, I just can't see a big female ballad winning so while the juries will ensure it places respectably, I think just inside the top ten and Sanna can stand proud.

Austria's second place is the major one that baffles me though, I love Conchy, adore RLAP, but I cannot see it anywhere near the left hand side of the board, if it even makes it through the semi- Too much counting against her I think, I hope I'm wrong though :)
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I have to say that this is lovely compared to some of the crap I have been getting from Armenians recently? Not all of them are bad, indeed some of them are lovely. However the abuse is endemic! I mean I like Armenia as a song but there is only so much abuse one person can take! lol

Armenian's are out in force this year hyping up their entry and hating on anyone who dare even say minor things about the song.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    Armenian's are out in force this year hyping up their entry and hating on anyone who dare even say minor things about the song.

I do sometimes get tempted to annoy them by posting "such a beautiful Azerbaijani Balaban in Not Alone. Beautiful." :blush::blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lol yes I get that but am still wondering why I got a 'shut your mouth' and even 'behave darling' on Molly's video lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    I do sometimes get tempted to annoy them by posting "such a beautiful Azerbaijani Balaban in Not Alone. Beautiful." :blush::blush:

lol I can see why you have not - you would get lynched~!
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

and placing bets: Betfair say the majority of their bets on Aram MP3 come from Armenia. so he may not even be a genuine favourite with non-Armenians
  • FiercelyHipFiercelyHip Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They're like a nest bees! :o:D
  • Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    Agree and disagree really, its a decent enough Ballad, but I can't imagine casual televoters going for it, its not unique enough and is VERY Eurovision by numbers IMO, I just can't see a big female ballad winning so while the juries will ensure it places respectably, I think just inside the top ten and Sanna can stand proud.

Austria's second place is the major one that baffles me though, I love Conchy, adore RLAP, but I cannot see it anywhere near the left hand side of the board, if it even makes it through the semi- Too much counting against her I think, I hope I'm wrong though :)

I'm not keen on Undo, it's boring to me, but I can see it doing very well. I didn't expect Russia's piss poor song to come 5th last year, so if that's the kind of song that is crap and yet can do well, then there's no doubt Undo will top that.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Conchita finishing 10-15. I do think she'll have people surprised by how good her voice actually is. However, she will have a lot going against her as you said.

I'm quite happy that we aren't sure who will win this year. It's makes it more exciting. I feel like I can guess the countries that will take the Top 10, but it could be in any order. The competition is tighter than I initially thought
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh for freck's sake I am interested in music, but Eurovision is my pleasure and I am so wiling to do some people some harm lol I have to be marked as I have to reply to the last moron obviously lol - I still need help because i might cause an international incident lol. Well I am me after all lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh for freck's sake I am interested in music, but Eurovision is my pleasure and I am so wiling to do some people some harm lol I have to be marked as I have to reply to the last moron obviously lol - I still need help because i might cause an international incident lol. Well I am me after all lol

Edit - EVen my quotes are not working tonight? FGS - my luck is so bad with thiss tuff and no taken out of contact makes no sense
    - not going to even try on this as there is no point - perfect end to a perfectly shitty day day! :(:(
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If we hear that the Armenian Ambassador has left the country in protest over Eurovision criticism I'll blame you. ;):p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    If we hear that the Armenian Ambassador has left the country in protest over Eurovision criticism I'll blame you. ;):p

lol I would own up if I had actually been a bitch - we all say things in the heat of the moment, but in general I have been sweetness and light compared to the shit fgs. Still don't get this guy's reasoning and therefore I need to torment him some more lol!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh yes I~ have got that lol - including the shut your mouth and shut up and behave yourself darling ideas for god sake!
  • wombatofludhamwombatofludham Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having decided last year not to listen to the songs until they aired live on tv, and enjoyed the experience all the more for it, this year I made the mistake of ordering the cd before the show and have given in to temptation. Overall I don't think it's too bad a year, in fact I do think there's quite a bit of stiff competition for our entry which would be disappointing if after having made a bit of an effort the BBC don't get a very good result this year, it might throw them back to scouring the end of pier shows and back issues of Smash Hits from the 1980s for future entries if we get a hammering.

I was surprised how good Armenia is this year, very surprised at how good Austria is although it's a tad dated. I thought Belgium was a bit mawkish and couldn't help thinking it might as well be the theme to a Belgian remake of I Claudius. Switzerland was fun even though I normally dislike country, nice to see Banjo Laura managed to get into Switzerland before they closed their borders to immigrants, I don't get the love for Denmark, and whilst France is quirky it sounds like the kind of music usually accompanying some getting the kids active sequence on Cbeebies.

Georgia, well, if Airfix made songs and forgot to put the instructions in the box, this is how I suspect the results would sound like. Different, but not in a nice way. Don't like Greece, but Italy - phwoar, I know I love all things Italian but this stuck in my mind instantly. Montenegro was very retro, Eurovision 1990. Norway - well, achingly haunting and could be a sleeper. Poland: Box of frogs, mad as: Portugal, don't know why they bothered, disappointing: Romania, again, don't know why they bothered, Playing with Fire was vibrant and fiery, this is beige. Sweden, nice but I don't get the love for it, and San Marino - are Siegel and Meinunger using Valentina to do some sort of Eurovision concept album? This year seems to pick up where last year left off. It's nice but it does sound quite similar to last year only in English. And I'm getting Valentina fatigue.

However, sorry, I have to say the one which has been on repeat more for me is Cake to Bake. Probably because I know far too many blokes whose cooking skills amount to an ability to burn water for whom this song could almost be an anthem.

I genuinely can't really decide which are the front runners, and there are very few I actively dislike, Greece and possibly the shouty woman bellowing "Attention" like a hormonal fire alarm being two I'd rather skip, but if pushed I'd probably say Norway could do very well, probably with Austria because it is a very good song with a unique performer.
  • JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was surprised how good Armenia is this year

But the second half of the song has a ridiculous vocal, just silly.
    but Italy - phwoar, I know I love all things Italian but this stuck in my mind instantly.

Totally forgettable song, they don't really take the contest that seriously do they? About time they got a low placing.
    Portugal, don't know why they bothered, disappointing

I know why they bothered, because it's good.
    probably with Austria because it is a very good song with a unique performer.

It's decently done.
  • QuartzManQuartzMan Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not heard many people talking about Ireland, has it just completely fallen off the radar?

I think Kasey will qualify and get a better placing then Ryan, maybe 12-18?
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    starry wrote: »
    But the second half of the song has a ridiculous vocal, just silly.

Totally forgettable song, they don't really take the contest that seriously do they? About time they got a low placing.

I know why they bothered, because it's good.

It's decently done.

Absolutely disagree with you re: Italy. I'd love to know your reasoning behind them not taking it seriously.

Emma is one of Italy's biggest pop stars, a former Sanremo winner and a guaranteed chart hit when she releases an album. Same as Marco from last year. You confuse "apathy towards winning" with "not taking it seriously". True, most Italians could give a damn about the contest- but that's what happens when you take a break for 14 years.

I also don't understand the notion that countries are "due low placings"- it's not a rota system! Good songs generally get rewarded, and Italy have sent three excellent songs thus far since their return. Long may the Top 10s continue.
  • Wee_OneWee_One Posts: 680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Molly's appearance on Malta TV is now live to watch. That would explain her charting there.

http://www.tvm.com.mt/programmes/tvam/ondemand/
This discussion has been closed.