Comments

• Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    Dinner, surely :)

:D
    swordman wrote: »
    I do love these Apple sites and their comments section, it is like having the outrage of certain posters on here magnified 100 times over :D

Haha! Yeah!

Some of them are absolute belters like it affects them personally.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Ah, now, i remember this.

I posted about this i think last year and was absolutely slated for it. Basically it was about the touch screen on the iphone not being very accurate and other phones being much better.

It was slated by apple users here because the test was done by a machine and not a human.

I'm just having a late lunch, but will try to find the link later :)

EDIT:- Found it. http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/10/25/robotic-testing-finds-touchscreen-inaccuracies-at-edge-of-iphone-display

When you say you were "absolutely slated for it", do you just mean that people suggested that maybe, given that the threshold being measured was just 1mm, that in most practical real world uses it wouldn't have that much negative impact?

Its not something I've ever really noticed or found to be an issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    When you say you were "absolutely slated for it", do you just mean that people suggested that maybe, given that the threshold being measured was just 1mm, that in most practical real world uses it wouldn't have that much negative impact?

Oh ffs, what is it with you? Would you stop doing that please?

Stop suggesting, guessing, supposing or generally trying to be a smart arse on things you know sod all about. I got and the article for slated. It got worse when i said my old 4S used to exhibit the same problems on the edge.

I really suggest you stop trying to cause trouble.
    Its not something I've ever really noticed or found to be an issue.

Of course it's not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not that I know nothing about it, or that I'm trying to cause trouble.

Its that my experience suggests the former might well be the case, as I've noticed a tendency for exaggeration and distortion.

Why of course not? Why would I be immune to the issue?
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    it is like having the outrage of certain posters on here magnified 100 times over :D

The only outrage I see on here are comments like "Oh ffs, what is it with you? Would you stop doing that please?" from Stiggles in response to a perfectly reasonable and rational post.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Exasperation I expect :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    The only outrage I see on here are comments like "Oh ffs, what is it with you? Would you stop doing that please?" from Stiggles in response to a perfectly reasonable and rational post.

Yet it's funny how you only seem to ever post when something like that happens. Oh sorry, or to troll about how bad your HTC is and how superb your 5S is! I haven't seen one for a while. We must be due another soon surely?

Your huge exaggeration constantly, and the bitching of any post i make is becoming very tiresome. Are you not grown up enough to actually debate the points in a post instead of pointing a reaction out constantly? There is no outrage in any of my posts. Just sheer disbelief at how daft some people can be, and the constant being questioned by CP and being told what i actually mean which is very irritating.

It's also funny why you back CP or any of your other fellow apple fans anytime they get disagreed with or questioned with the same line all the time..."perfectly reasonable and rational post". Except it wasnt.

One could even class that as trolling. But you of course would disagree with that - but would agree if it was the other way round. Weird how that happens isn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Its not that I know nothing about it, or that I'm trying to cause trouble.

Its that my experience suggests the former might well be the case, as I've noticed a tendency for exaggeration and distortion.

And you don't?!!

See, i don't need you to try and tell me or question me on what happened. There is no exaggeration or distortion here.

Did you ever see the flack i got when i had my 4S because i said i wasn't keen on it and didn't like the screen or the onscreen keyboard much? The questioning i got here because people actually didn't believe i had one because i dared to dislike it was incredible!! I even had to post a bloody picture of me with the thing! It got that stupid. If you want some amusement one night, try and find it for a read. You may then see why your fellow apple fans get such a bad name. It was that pathetic.
    Why of course not? Why would I be immune to the issue?

See this is the difference between us. I see the good in apple, but i also see the bad. You only see the good and refuse to believe there is any bad which is why we bump heads all the time.

That's pretty much why i wouldn't expect you to see it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And you don't?!!

No - I don't think I have the same flair for melodrama as some other posters.
    See, i don't need you to try and tell me or question me on what happened. There is no exaggeration or distortion here.

Did you ever see the flack i got when i had my 4S because i said i wasn't keen on it and didn't like the screen or the onscreen keyboard much? The questioning i got here because people actually didn't believe i had one because i dared to dislike it was incredible!! I even had to post a bloody picture of me with the thing! It got that stupid. If you want some amusement one night, try and find it for a read. You may then see why your fellow apple fans get such a bad name. It was that pathetic.

I wasn't talking about you not liking the screen or keyboard on your 4S though.

I was talking about the article about the accuracy of the touch screen. Whilst I don't doubt the results of the tests, pointing out that it likely has a minimal real world impact than a headline of "iPhone screen is only 75% accurate" might suggest really isn't that unreasonable.

From my recollection I'm not sure if anyone put it much stronger than that originally, so your recollection of being "slammed" seemed a little overly dramatic.
    See this is the difference between us. I see the good in apple, but i also see the bad. You only see the good and refuse to believe there is any bad which is why we bump heads all the time.

That's pretty much why i wouldn't expect you to see it.

In which case you are wrong. The reason I don't see it is because the threshold was just 1mm and I pretty much never have to tap any target on the screen as so small that missing it by 1mm is an issue.

I would have thought that if it really was as serious an issue as that headline might suggest, that millions of people would be returning their phones and Apple would be subject to a class action suit. So I guess there are two options here:

1. There is little or no significant practical, real world issue.

2. iPhone users are gullible morons putting up with any old crap Apple sell them.

I asked for real world, practical examples demonstrating the issue. Its not my fault none were forthcoming.

None of the above is about me "not seeing the bad in Apple". What it is actually about is thinking a bit for myself, and deciding for myself whether or not the supposed issue is actually that big a deal in real world use.

By all means think that my experience is not the same as your experience. But enough already with this repeated insistence that the reason our experiences differ is down to some affinity to Apple rather than my actual experience.

Similarly, I asked Alan about how Apple had managed to misquote Greenpeace in an ad that didn't even mention Greenpeace. Was that another example of me "not seeing the bad in Apple", or was it a perfectly reasonable point?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No - I don't think I have the same flair for melodrama as some other posters.

Oh but you do.
    I wasn't talking about you not liking the screen or keyboard on your 4S though.

I was talking about the article about the accuracy of the touch screen. Whilst I don't doubt the results of the tests, pointing out that it likely has a minimal real world impact than a headline of "iPhone screen is only 75% accurate" might suggest really isn't that unreasonable.

As was i. Then i mentioned that i had been pounced on for posting it which you thought was lies. I then mentioned it had happened before on a different subject.
    From my recollection I'm not sure if anyone put it much stronger than that originally, so your recollection of being "slammed" seemed a little overly dramatic.

Well your recollection is completely inaccurate.
    In which case you are wrong. The reason I don't see it is because the threshold was just 1mm and I pretty much never have to tap any target on the screen as so small that missing it by 1mm is an issue.

I would have thought that if it really was as serious an issue as that headline might suggest, that millions of people would be returning their phones and Apple would be subject to a class action suit. So I guess there are two options here:

1. There is little or no significant practical, real world issue.

It's still apparent though. Like anything else, once you get used to it, you never notice it.
    2. iPhone users are gullible morons putting up with any old crap Apple sell them.

Ah but see, many are. Not all, but many.
    I asked for real world, practical examples the issue. Its not my fault none were forthcoming.

How about you look yourself?
    None of the above is about me "not seeing the bad in Apple". What it is actually about is thinking a bit for myself, and deciding for myself whether or not the supposed issue is actually that big a deal in real world use.

It's completely about you not seeing the bad.

Think about it for a second. Look how many times a day you butt heads with people. It's every single day, and it's only about apple. You never post on any other thread non apple related. It's only ever people that disagree with some of apples practises or missing features etc etc that you constantly bicker with. Speaks volumes really.
    By all means think that my experience is not the same as your experience. But enough already with this repeated insistence that the reason our experiences differ is down to some affinity to Apple rather than my actual experience.

Similarly, I asked Alan about how Apple had managed to misquote Greenpeace in an ad that didn't even mention Greenpeace. Was that another example of me "not seeing the bad in Apple", or was it a perfectly reasonable point?

I've no idea. I must have missed that pointless argument. All i saw was a stupid ad from apple having a snip when really, after the blatant copying apple have done, they should never ever be accusing anyone of copying!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh but you do.

Any examples of me being overly melodramatic spring to mind?
    As was i. Then i mentioned that i had been pounced on for posting it which you thought was lies. I then mentioned it had happened before on a different subject.

You maybe need to get over this idea of feeling 'pounced upon' if someone disagrees with you.
    Well your recollection is completely inaccurate.

It would be interesting to see. If your recollection is so good, can you recall the sorts of things anyone said about the touchscreen accuracy thing?
    It's still apparent though. Like anything else, once you get used to it, you never notice it.

OK - so the wrong thing, or nothing at all is happening when people touch the screen. But for some reason people don't notice that the wrong thing, or nothing at all is happening?

I don't know about anyone else, but I think I'd be pretty likely to notice.
    Ah but see, many are. Not all, but many.

Surely if Apple actually were peddling any old crap, then they all would be gullible morons for putting up with it.
    How about you look yourself?

Ah! The old inviting someone to prove a negative tactic.

As it happens, I did a search for "iPhone art" but only found some pretty impressive artwork. Nothing that looked like it had gone horribly wrong due to the touchscreen's inaccuracy.
    It's completely about you not seeing the bad.

No, it really isn't.

It really is about the fact that I don't find myself having to tap anything literally within 1mm for the correct thing to happen.
    Think about it for a second. Look how many times a day you butt heads with people. It's every single day, and it's only about apple. You never post on any other thread non apple related. It's only ever people that disagree with some of apples practises or missing features etc etc that you constantly bicker with. Speaks volumes really.

So what are you saying? You'd like me to wade in to topics about other products I don't own or have much experience with? I'm sure that would go down well.

Either way, disagreements usually involve two sides.

Take this example - you seem to be having trouble accepting that my view is based on my actual and genuine experience. Instead you seem to feel the need to attribute it to some sort of affinity with Apple.

That yourself and others repeatedly choose to dismiss people's actual experience, and attribute it to some sort of affinity with Apple does indeed speak volumes.
    I've no idea. I must have missed that pointless argument. All i saw was a stupid ad from apple having a snip when really, after the blatant copying apple have done, they should never ever be accusing anyone of copying!!

Well, apparently the ad misquoted Greenpeace. There was no argument - I just asked Alan how the ad misquoted Greenpeace, because it seemed odd to me that an ad that didn't even mention Greenpeace could have misquoted them.

As I said earlier, with the copying thing - rightly or wrongly I suspect the issue isn't simply copying, but rather copying specific patent protected tech.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....Take this example - you seem to be having trouble accepting that my view is based on my actual and genuine experience.....
    Strange, I hardly ever recall you having any experience.

You speak in a sort of 3rd party sales proxy with nothing of substance.
    Hell, you could be still using a Nokia 3410 for all I know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Strange, I hardly ever recall you having any experience.

You speak in a sort of 3rd party sales proxy with nothing of substance.
    Hell, you could be still using a Nokia 3410 for all I know.

Meaning what exactly? Very possibly you mean you don't recall me ever having the same experience as you. Your example about GPS being a case in point - some very specific use case scenario that you would want gets turned into a common use, and so conspicuous by its absence on the iphone.

You know Alan, given your recent faux pas about Greenpeace, you've got some nerve to a post something like that.

Never mind that it adds precisely nothing constructive to the discussion.

But humour me - which part of me saying I never seem to have to use the touchscreen that literally requires it to be touched with an accuracy of just 1mm do you find unreasonable or difficult to accept?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meaning you don't seem to have a real view, you are a spokesperson where nothing whatsoever matters if Apple does not have it.

Everyone else seems more than capable of discussing in a real world way.
    #262 is quite typical. They are all pretty much like that, wandering away into some other planet where nothing actually exists.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meaning you don't seem to have a real view, you are a spokesperson where nothing whatsoever matters if Apple does not have it.

Everyone else seems more than capable of discussing in a real world way.
    #262 is quite typical. They are all pretty much like that, wandering away into some other planet where nothing actually exists.

Let me see if I have this right.

The current example is the accuracy or otherwise of the iPhone's touchscreen.

My reference is my actual real world experience.

Your reference is a laboratory test were robots touched the screen to within an accuracy of 1mm.

And you're saying that I'm the one who doesn't have a real world view?

Seriously?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Any examples of me being overly melodramatic spring to mind?

Oh, i can't be arsed looking over every one of your posts to find them all.
    You maybe need to get over this idea of feeling 'pounced upon' if someone disagrees with you.

And you need to stop this constant telling people what happened, like you have some kind of right to. I'll ask again. Did you see the carry on about me not apparently having this 4S when i said i wasn't keen on it?

The rabid apple fans became an absolute joke. Demanding i posted pictures etc of me with the phone etc. Was an absolute disgrace, and all this because i said i wasnt keen on it!!
    It would be interesting to see. If your recollection is so good, can you recall the sorts of things anyone said about the touchscreen accuracy thing?

Eh? What does my recollection got to do with any of it?

How about you look yourself instead of expecting everyone else to do the work for you? :confused:
    OK - so the wrong thing, or nothing at all is happening when people touch the screen. But for some reason people don't notice that the wrong thing, or nothing at all is happening?

I don't know about anyone else, but I think I'd be pretty likely to notice.

So the whole thing is just nonsense then is it?
    Surely if Apple actually were peddling any old crap, then they all would be gullible morons for putting up with it.

I'm not gonna answer that!! :D
    Ah! The old inviting someone to prove a negative tactic.

Not at all. Simply asking you to stop getting people to look for things for you. If you want to see something, look yourself. Simple.
    As it happens, I did a search for "iPhone art" but only found some pretty impressive artwork. Nothing that looked like it had gone horribly wrong due to the touchscreen's inaccuracy.

iPhone art? Lost me now.....
    No, it really isn't.

Yes it is.
    It really is about the fact that I don't find myself having to tap anything literally within 1mm for the correct thing to happen.

Well as it happens, the iphone keyboard is the only one i have ever used that i found awful to use. I always, until i got used to it, had to type things several times before i got it right. It seemed like i always had to type at the side of the letter i wanted. that and the stupid thing about the keyboard always looking like it was in uppercase was another annoyance.
    So what are you saying? You'd like me to wade in to topics about other products I don't own or have much experience with? I'm sure that would go down well.

Haha! No. This is a big forum. There are many things to debate or speak about. I manage it. You however, stick to this bit, and only ever cause arguments on apple topics. In fact, i have never once seen you have a proper conversation with anyone on here. Its always you causing arguments, asking multiple choice questions, rubbishing what people say/think or telling people what actually happened.

Rinse and repeat.
    Either way, disagreements usually involve two sides

You think?
    Take this example - you seem to be having trouble accepting that my view is based on my actual and genuine experience. Instead you seem to feel the need to attribute it to some sort of affinity with Apple.

No i dont.

Getting mixed up once again? Oh or is this another example of you telling me what i should be thinking?
    That yourself and others repeatedly choose to dismiss people's actual experience, and attribute it to some sort of affinity with Apple does indeed speak volumes.

I haven't dismissed anyones experience. I have however mentioned my experience and been told by you it doesn't count for anything!! Oh and that it does not represent everyone elses when i never once said it did!!

I am simply saying, no matter what negatives apple may have, you would never ever agree they have them. Your posts on here speak for themselves.

For instance, i think all iphones since their inception look the same from the front. Same home button, same large bezels around a small screen, same earpiece slit. It's a view shared by many including many apple fans. However, you have started many an argument about this when someone has mentioned it.
    Well, apparently the ad misquoted Greenpeace. There was no argument - I just asked Alan how the ad misquoted Greenpeace, because it seemed odd to me that an ad that didn't even mention Greenpeace could have misquoted them.

As I said earlier, with the copying thing - rightly or wrongly I suspect the issue isn't simply copying, but rather copying specific patent protected tech.

It's all about copying. Personally, I just find the whole court case amusing now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know people just ignore your desperate posts from Apple propaganda sites :)

It certainly saves reading them and adding anything remotely constructive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My reference is my actual real world experience....
    Of what? I really doubt anyone knows.

You are always in abstract or 3rd party mode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, i can't be arsed looking over every one of your posts to find them all.

Who said anything about looking over every one of my posts and finding them all?

I didn't think one or two off the top of your head would have been too difficult though.
    And you need to stop this constant telling people what happened, like you have some kind of right to. I'll ask again. Did you see the carry on about me not apparently having this 4S when i said i wasn't keen on it?

The rabid apple fans became an absolute joke. Demanding i posted pictures etc of me with the phone etc. Was an absolute disgrace, and all this because i said i wasnt keen on it!!

As I said in a previous post, I wasn't talking about that. So I don't know why you are still referring to that as though I was.
    Eh? What does my recollection got to do with any of it?

How about you look yourself instead of expecting everyone else to do the work for you? :confused:

Well, you're the one claiming to have the better recollection. Although it does seem you are mostly recollecting something other than what I was referring to.
    So the whole thing is just nonsense then is it?

Depends what the whole thing is. If its your experience, then no - of course not.

If its that the iPhone screen isn't as accurate to within 1mm or less as other screens, then no - apparently not.

If its any suggestion that that 1mm tolerance has a significant negative impact for everyone in practical, real world use - then yes, it very possibly is.
    I'm not gonna answer that!! :D

Well no - not without conceding a point.
    Not at all. Simply asking you to stop getting people to look for things for you. If you want to see something, look yourself. Simple.

iPhone art? Lost me now.....

Sorry - I should have explained. iPhone art - well, its art created on an iPhone. Drawing being an example of something that suffered because of the inaccuracy of the screen.

And yes - it is a bit like trying to prove a negative. I had a quick look, but its difficult to find real world examples.
    Yes it is.

No. It isn't. It really is down to my actual and genuine real world experience. With all due respect, I'm pretty sure I know more about my own actual experience than you.
    Well as it happens, the iphone keyboard is the only one i have ever used that i found awful to use. I always, until i got used to it, had to type things several times before i got it right. It seemed like i always had to type at the side of the letter i wanted. that and the stupid thing about the keyboard always looking like it was in uppercase was another annoyance.

Here's a difference between us - I'm not about to dispute your experience with something, or attribute it to some sort of anti Apple agenda.
    Haha! No. This is a big forum. There are many things to debate or speak about. I manage it. You however, stick to this bit, and only ever cause arguments on apple topics. In fact, i have never once seen you have a proper conversation with anyone on here. Its always you causing arguments, asking multiple choice questions, rubbishing what people say/think or telling people what actually happened.

Rinse and repeat.

People having different views on an internet forum is not the same as "causing arguments". Nor is it that favourite phrase of yours "rubbishing" anything. From where I'm standing it tends to get argumentative because some people take issue with others not sharing their views, preferences or opinions.
    You think?

Yes. Why - what do you think?
    No i dont.

Getting mixed up once again? Oh or is this another example of you telling me what i should be thinking?

Yes - you do.

See the bit where I said what I did being about my actual experience, and it not about an affinity to Apple? And you saying that it wasn't?

That's you having trouble accepting that my view is based on my actual and genuine experience right there.

That's you seeming to feel the need to attribute it to some sort of affinity with Apple.
    I haven't dismissed anyones experience. I have however mentioned my experience and been told by you it doesn't count for anything!! Oh and that it does not represent everyone elses when i never once said it did!!

Where exactly did I say it didn't count for anything?
    I am simply saying, no matter what negatives apple may have, you would never ever agree they have them. Your posts on here speak for themselves.

Well no - it would depend on what it was.

In this case we have a largely theoretical example, under laboratory conditions, testing every 1mm on the screen with robots.

Me saying that I haven't found that to be an issue in real world use is a perfectly reasonable thing to say.
    For instance, i think all iphones since their inception look the same from the front. Same home button, same large bezels around a small screen, same earpiece slit. It's a view shared by many including many apple fans. However, you have started many an argument about this when someone has mentioned it.

No - I haven't started arguments on it. IIRC all I really said was that with smartphones these days, if you're literally going to go by what they look like from the front, then there isn't a whole lot of room for variation.

You mentioned these large bezels before, but never commented on this image. We're talking a few mm. Its difficult to argue that one is a significantly better, more interesting design than the other.

If you interpret something as innocuous as that as "starting an argument" then it probably says more about you than it says about me.
    It's all about copying. Personally, I just find the whole court case amusing now.

Maybe to you, but rightly or wrongly, and in the eyes of the law, it is about the copying of things that are patent protected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of what? I really doubt anyone knows.

You are always in abstract or 3rd party mode.

Of using an iPhone, and having to tap its screen to use apps.

There is nothing remotely abstract about that.

Robots touching every 1mm of screen in a laboratory conditions? That's the very definition of abstract.

Is this a wind up Alan?
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-27265633
    Samsung has been ordered to pay $119.6m (£71m) to Apple by a US court for infringing two of its patents.

A jury in California delivered its verdict in a federal court in San Jose on Friday in the latest lawsuit involving the two tech giants.

During the month-long trial, Apple accused Samsung of violating patents on smartphone features.

Damn, that's the end of Samsung. ;-)
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-27265633

Damn, that's the end of Samsung. ;-)

Not at all, this will just swing back for a counter sue case with a Korean Jury. It has happened before where Apple based in California get a biased jury & then Samsung return the favour. There are plenty of infringements that Samsung can sue Apple other, it is a case that will never end, as Apple will continue to throw all of their toys out of their prams, as they can't handle that one little thing called competition & so it is the lawyers that are the overall winners, after all, Apple have been shamelessly stealing ideas for years, still let's not let that get in the way of a good old fashioned patents infringing case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am being cynical is saying it makes cheap advertising (in 'showing everything else is a cheap imitation') and thus saves in innovation.

It is like a TV show that will run and run.
    Apple will have the next episode in the pipeline.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apple had sought $2bn but were awarded $119.6m (£71m) . Some looses change for Apple!

"This amount is less than 10% of the amount Apple requested and probably doesn't surpass by too much the amount Apple spent litigating this case.''

Money is no object to Apple. Andriod must bev destroyed at all costs. Steve Jobs was willing to go Thermonucular on this. So expect more legal battles soon!
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This might (will) let Apple claim some sort of moral victory, but it also saw a lot of documents shown in court that revealed quite a lot about the company.

Was it worth it?