5810 Easy to edit out adverts / trim files etc ??? plus Archos use ?

Manic MinerManic Miner Posts: 1,316
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a humax 9300t at the mo and like it alot, however am looking at getting a 5810 for use on another tv.
One thing that would be important would be whether, after installing Mystuff, is it really good at editing out adverts from recordings, or is it a bit random, like the hummy ?

Also I have an oldish Archos av700, which I believe uses .ts format. Does anyone use a Topfield with an Archos ? are they directly compatible ?

Thanks for any help given.

Comments

• slimgymslimgym Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a bit random. For perfect editing it's best to put it on a PC and use mpeg streamclip to make fine edits as it can jump you to the nearest key frame.

The editing functionality is part of the standard firmware, it seems broken (at least using mystuff recommenced firmware) as the manual suggests you can cut parts out or save copies of parts of programmes. Sadly regardless of the option you chose it takes what you've selected out of the original programme. The only difference is one of the options puts the bit you've clipped out in a separate file and the other discards it.
  • Manic MinerManic Miner Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply

I just took the plunge and bought a 5800 from Currys for only £140 ( stock clearance) will see how it goes
  • slimgymslimgym Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you'll like it once you've got MyStuff on it, a totally different experience to other PVR's. You could try the transport streams on the archos but the topfield calls them .rec's and puts a small header on the file which the archos might not understand.

You could use MPEG Streamclip to export to other formats - I demux to MPV, MP2 for burning to DVD, or to MPEG with MP2 audio PS which I then convert to MP4 for ipod use. Though Streamclip has a direct Ipod output filter the quality never seems to be up to much when compared to using ffmpeg.
  • Manic MinerManic Miner Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slimgym wrote: »
    I think you'll like it once you've got MyStuff on it, a totally different experience to other PVR's. You could try the transport streams on the archos but the topfield calls them .rec's and puts a small header on the file which the archos might not understand.

You could use MPEG Streamclip to export to other formats - I demux to MPV, MP2 for burning to DVD, or to MPEG with MP2 audio PS which I then convert to MP4 for ipod use. Though Streamclip has a direct Ipod output filter the quality never seems to be up to much when compared to using ffmpeg.

Thanks for all the info